• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Goblin, Another Dragon, and a Challenge Course...

Warpedhero

Warped Hero
Reaction score
I was looking through the graphics.bin and found several interesting entries:

1. Goblin

It has one animation, a kick attack, but that is all. It seems like maybe it was meant for an intro/logo, but I am unsure. If it was meant to be used in the game, I cannot figure out where.

2. Unused Dragon Model and Scene Objects

When I first found these files, I was reminded of the original version of the Fable: TLC ending. I am unsure, but I believe it had this fresco on the Xbox:

From this, we can see that the original design of the dragon must have been quite different from the one used in Fable: TLC. The original dragon was green and had no horns, leading me to believe that the original "Dragon Quest" (as it is called in the graphics.bin) had nothing to do with Jack of Blades, but was a completely different type of quest. The area where you fight the dragon was originally called "Dragon Cliff", and the gate and towers looked very different from what was eventually used within the actual game.

3. Challenge Course

This puzzles me greatly. I found several files that showed a combat challenge course and a stealth challenge course. The stealth challenge course was very interesting; it was a long, twisting tunnel with buzzsaw obstacles at the end. I have no idea where this would have been used at. I found a similar looking file which was supposed to be the tunnel connecting the Chamber of Fate to the Guild, but I do not think the two are connected.

As usual, all comments are appreciated.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Markie did an in depth look into the files you might find interesting here.

Warpedhero

Warped Hero
Reaction score
Markie did an in depth look into the files you might find interesting here.
Thanks man. Pretty impressive list.

I wonder if all the differences between Fable and Fable: TLC have ever been documented? Thinking of doing it myself. It would be interesting to get a copy of the original Fable for PC and see how much unused content was in the original game files.

Do you have any theories on what the Challenge Course would be for? Or if it is connected to the unfinished original Dragon Quest?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Thanks man. Pretty impressive list.

I wonder if all the differences between Fable and Fable: TLC have ever been documented? Thinking of doing it myself. It would be interesting to get a copy of the original Fable for PC and see how much unused content was in the original game files.

Do you have any theories on what the Challenge Course would be for? Or if it is connected to the unfinished original Dragon Quest?

I dont think ive seen a full list of differences between the 2, though there have been comparisons here and there.

I imagine the combat challenge one would be like the one that was used in Fable II (I believe it was) for friend leaderboards and such. Maybe they had an idea for a fully fledged stealth system that was never incorporated in the end or a particular stealth section that could have been to do with the Dragon itself.

lee

-Hero of Knowledge-
Reaction score
I love this thread, especially the unused Goblin. Maybe it was an early Wishworld enemy. I came across Giant Lobsters and Darkwood Spiders written the Coding is their any decent photos of them that you have come across?. I cannot find out much about them.

Naxatato

Obsidian
Reaction score
There's so much that changed through the years of development. It'd probably make a nice video to bring out not only comparisons, but also many of the changes along the way. Dene Carter (Twitter handle: Fluttermind) releases some of his leftover paperwork and such from time to time and every tidbit is excellent! Here's an old list of what the regions in Fable were based on.

D8Kwpu7UwAYZYUm.jpg:large

lee

-Hero of Knowledge-
Reaction score
Wow utterly blown away by this!!!. I have come across the Secret Grove Key and Sacred Fae Key in the coding. It also finally explains what the Buzz Saw and Challenge Course items were for. It was for probably for something called the Trial. It tells of a cave with cunning tricks and traps. The old Keep is also mentioned in the coding. I had no idea that something like this was around. Thanks for this Naxatato. Very impressive find.

Last edited:

LilBud710

Hood
Reaction score
Yes the OG Fable 1 (Non Jack dragon) is in the Fable files and has a somewhat working mesh, and textures. But, only if someone is able to properly fix his texture on the Jack dragon mesh will we ever be able to see this OG dragon working. His animations are 100% broken :( Having FableEd ( Fable 1 Engine) we would be able to fix this and tons more limitations in Cbox would be no more! Cbox would be no more in general with the engine lol.

LilBud710

Hood
Reaction score
The same should go for the goblin, i may experiment with Fable Animation files later