• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Aging + scars

Dagolas

Reaction score
I think there should be the following Aging system:

-First, let's talk about previous aging systems.
F1:Age every level. *sucks*
F2:Age if you kill the girl and of course after the spire.
F3:No aging.

I suggest the new aging system is in game real time. So, every in game day, a day passes. After 365, your character ages a year. Travelling loses hours (like in Fable 2).
That's for your character.

But, in Fable 1, another problem was in the end, you were older than your mom by 30 years. Yeah. I suggest that everyone ages around you, by the same means. BUT! To add realism, they die. And reproduce. The only people who can't die (of old age) are your wife and children. Maybe since your a hero they are immortal to old age. Or something to that effect.
Maximum age: 60. A few days after 60 (for a NPC) they die. M
Maximum age for YOUR kids: 10

Oh and on another note, I think scars should be like in fable 2. In fable 1 they were just ridiculously easy to get. And if possible, make them real time (Ex: You get killed by a slash across the chest. Your scar is across the chest and resembles the weapon marks of the weapon (Sword for example) that slashed it.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I'm okay with ageing, if done right it can be a good feature. The biggest problem in Fable and Fable: TLC was the fact that while your Hero did age, neither the world nor the characters in it aged with you. It was just so out of place, which was the reason why I disabled it via modding.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
If the game features were also built around an ageing system it could work, however having an ageing system in a game where it isnt a big useful feature could be an annoyance. Plus in your example you say you age a year, but what really changes in your features if you age a year? If you didnt shave or cut your hair then fair enough but then they would have to have a system governing hair growth too, your appearance would differ a lot but features wise you wouldnt notice much difference in 1-5 years. What would happen with the wise old men in games of this style? They could potentially die in a few short in game years. I can see why it could be an interesting feature with added realism but the main reason developers dont include it, is that its a pain to balance right and be consistent with.

DoomsDayUnicorn

I eat Glitter. What do you eat?
Reaction score
Aging and scars are fine, its just when they look stupid (scars in fable 3) and are irriversible, then it crosses the line for me.

MazeisMaze

Rattus Rattus
Reaction score
I think that there would be difficulties in your plan. I propose just to age after certain missions and how far you are in the story line.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
I think that there would be difficulties in your plan. I propose just to age after certain missions and how far you are in the story line.

That would make more sense. In Fable I, you age as you level up your strength, skills and will. So, if you decided to level everything up before killing the wasp, you'd be 65.

This is my Albion

Reaction score
i agree with that idea but are you suggesting that by the time they're a year old, you'd have to play it every day for a whole year? or does they age even when you're not playing? for example, if i stopped playing for ten years, would my character be substantially older?

Reaction score
i like aging as well but i did not like the fact that i would grow old as i gained more exp. It should be more of a time based thing i suppose because i remember there being counter showing how many of game days have passed by.

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
Well, in Fable 2, you aged only when you're doing that quest for Reaver, and in Fable 3, there was no aging at all.

i like aging as well but i did not like the fact that i would grow old as i gained more exp. It should be more of a time based thing i suppose because i remember there being counter showing how many of game days have passed by.

That counter is where you read all your stats, somewhere near where you find how old you are.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
My thoughts on the matter:
Aging yes.
Scars no.