• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Are you a bow person or a crossbow person?

Which do you prefer when playing a "Ranger"-type character in a game?

• Bow

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Crossbow

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
So yeah. When given the option between the two, which one do you usually pick? Personally I'm a crossbow guy because I like how they are mechanical in nature and as such bit more rifle-like. Plus I always think of wussy elves when it comes to bows, and cool assassin/Van Helsing-like characters when it comes to crossbows.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Ah, Legolas with his magical blue to brown fluctuating eyes, as seen in the LOTR movies. Found that more amazing than his archery skillz, to be honest.

Anyway, I've been to few archery sessions in my time. Rather good at it too, popped all dem balloons. So I'd say imma bow kinda gal.

EDIT: My sig is so damn appropriate for this thread.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Prefer bows to be honest, requires more skill than a crossbow. My friend Jim used to have a crossbow several years ago and I didn't find it as enjoyable to use in comparison to a regular bow.

Reaction score
It depends how many people I were up against, if I wanted to assassinate someone I'd use a crossbow for the range and firepower. If I were up against small army I would use a longbow, I can fire off more shots at a faster pace that way which would give me an advantage over anyone trying to reload with a crossbow.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Haters be hatin'.

I'd LOVE to own a real-life crossbow.

Cain

Reaction score
I'd have to say bow. I'm more familiar with it than a crossbow, thanks to a few taster courses in archery. Though longbow is quite hard to fire, so overall I prefer compound bows.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Bows feel more personal as its you pulling the string, planning the aiming arc, letting it go and watching the arrow hit your foe and the range being more. Crossbows its you cocking it but feels more like a gun in the sense that you pull a trigger to fire it, they fire faster and some hold multiple arrows at once also love the sight in games of a single large arrow sticking out your enemy as the killing blow.

Crossbows are more practical and better against multiple foes I imagine but a regular bow just feels more personal and as nature intended it. Hard to explain but the same way I prefer swords and blade weapons to guns as its you, your enemy and getting up close and personal and looking into their eyes as they meet their fate, more honour in it.

Reaction score
Crossbows are more practical and better against multiple foes I imagine but a regular bow just feels more personal and as nature intended it. Hard to explain but the same way I prefer swords and blade weapons to guns as its you, your enemy and getting up close and personal and looking into their eyes as they meet their fate, more honour in it.

Unless you're firing volleys alongside thousands of other troops at a hoard of orcs or something, you don't really know who you're going to hit really. To be honest a crossbow in my opinion would be less practical, they took a lot longer to reload and were fairly slow to use against multiple foes, a bow would be a far better choice against a team of enemies, unless they had armour in which case the crossbow would be a better choice just because of the raw stopping power.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Both have a special place in my heart... last RP character I made uses a bow, for example. But one of my earlier characters, which I loved but didn't have a chance to play around with, used a massive magical crossbow (actually the same char on my WIP avatar picture)

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Keep in mind that this isnt as much about real life as it is about fantasy i.e vidja games.

You could have a repeating sub-machine gun-like crossbow if you so please.

Reaction score
Keep in mind that this isnt as much about real life as it is about fantasy i.e vidja games.

Just like Van Helsing. It would be amazing if they actually invented one though, it'd be watermelon massacre!

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Oh, I see now. I take it somebody just got their hands on Dawnguard.

Both are fine then, but I would lean more towards a bow just for those really personal kills.

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score
I prefer bows for their simplicity, reliability and reload speed, but I also appreciate crossbows for their power and occasional rapid-fire capabilities.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
I taught the Archery merit badge for three years in scouts, a good shot too, bow man.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
My choice is purely aesthetic since I have never even held either of the weapons. That being said, bow. Crossbows are ugly.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Unless you're firing volleys alongside thousands of other troops at a hoard of orcs or something, you don't really know who you're going to hit really. To be honest a crossbow in my opinion would be less practical, they took a lot longer to reload and were fairly slow to use against multiple foes, a bow would be a far better choice against a team of enemies, unless they had armour in which case the crossbow would be a better choice just because of the raw stopping power.

Doesnt happen much in games where your in an army like that against thousands of enemies firing blindly into groups, you normally have your screen centered on your targets. As Tsuyu said, in games crossbows tend to be fast to reload and can fire much faster than regular bows. However in games like Skyrim id prefer the feeling of tracking my foe with arrow tip and feeling the satisfaction of watching that arrow hit them. Rather than firing multiple arrows until they drop down, would just seem more skill involved with a regular bow.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
In Lords of the Realm 2 archers fired 5 arrows in the time one crossbow could be fired, but crossbows were more powerful: Open field = bow, siege = crossbow.

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
I own a Fiberglass/wood composite bow
My brother inlaw has a Fiberglass/steel compound bow
My uncle has a steel compound bow

Im a bow guy