• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Artificial Intelligence in Gaming

H

Hexadecimal

Artificial Intelligence in Gaming

Here's a little article I found interesting where Peter Molyneux and Steve Grand discuss the importance of quality AI in today's next gen games, and how it can be accomplished.

Peter Molyneux said:
"If I as a player can do stuff in the world that is outside what the designer expects, and the game or game characters react appropriately, that's incredibly powerful. Suddenly, you think, 'Well, this isn't something that's just waiting for me to press the B-button; it's evolving around what I'm doing.' That is very emotionally compelling and, if you get it right, it can often be quite spooky."

Steve Grand said:
As graphics have improved, the behaviour of characters has got more and more embarrassing. When characters looked cartoon-like, any vaguely lifelike behaviour was impressive, but now that characters have fluid movements, realistic textures and complex facial expressions, they tend to engage different circuits in the players' brains. The better the graphics become, the worse the behaviour looks. So the need for good AI is well-appreciated. The snag is that none of us knows how to make it work yet."

Steve Grand said:
If you want to reach for the moon you have to go to the trouble to build yourself a space rocket, but if you only want to lift yourself three feet off the ground you might as well jump. There are easier ways to make the kind of intelligence most present-day games require, even though these techniques will never lead anywhere."

to read the rest in full, look here:

The Hard-Thought Race for Intelligent Gaming

R

RuneMaster

Re: Artificial Intelligence in Gaming

Nive. This is some pretty interesting stuff.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Oblivion is unfortunately a fine example of this. Stunning visuals, but the way enemies acts leaves alot to be desired. For example, pathfinding suck at times, they might stand running at the spot against a big rock instead of going around it when chasing you, for example.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

AI needs to be addressed in games for them to be truly next gen, as people are realising GFX arent everything. Great find Hex +rep

H

Hexadecimal

Peter Molyneux is set to give another talk on the subject of Artificial Intelligence in gaming at Enterprising Games Week in June this year.

Enterprising Games said:
Peter Molyneux, games luminary keynoting on the proof positive of how AI gives you the creative edge

Enterprising Games said:
28th June - The inaugural Apply AI Innovation Conference, dedicated to Artificial Intelligence in entertainment, media and serious games. Keynote from Peter Molyneux, Lionhead Studios.

enterprising-games.com

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Hexadecimal;83503 said:
Peter Molyneux is set to give another talk on the subject of Artificial Intelligence in gaming at Enterprising Games Week in June this year.

enterprising-games.com

Very interesting find yet again Hex ^_^

D

Darg

With what he said with the 'getting emotionally involved' aspect of Fable 2, I'd say that AI is a definite deciding factor in whether or not you can actually do as he said. On the other hand, if the AI is so incredibly stupid, you'd get emotionally involved in your furious screaming at the npcs.

S

Secia_Lunegaze

Agreed, agreed, and agreed again! I'm sure you still remember getting ****ed off at me for my lack of clarification a while back. Graphics are important yes, but in all seriousness, AI is probably the MOST important thing in gaming nowadays! Everything else that makes a game is also important but still, AI is definetly the new thing to work on!

But anyway, awesome find, and although I don't plan on readng it all now, but I will bookmark it for later. Awesome find and so true too!

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Secia_Lunegaze;83826 said:
Graphics are important yes, but in all seriousness, AI is probably the MOST important thing in gaming nowadays!

I agree to an extent, as its the AI that can help us truly feel a part of the game and make our interactions with the game world feel that much more involving.

H

Hexadecimal

I don't know... I would have to put AI as being important, but it doesn't make the game... what is MOST important to a game is storyline, for me anyway... you can have the most realistic interactions imaginable, but if what you're doing seems stale and uninspiring, you wont care anyway...
take KotOR, for example... the AI was far less than fantastic... enemies would keep walking into walls and performed the same tasks over and over... however, the story stood out and the characters had enough of a pull to make the game the best game EVER, regardless of crappy AI... I'd obviously like it more with better AI, but if that came somehow at the cost of good story, I'd pass...
obviously games would be much improved by better quality AI... but it's not what makes or breaks a game for me...

B

blue crow

Dont even get me started on ai cause of gow on insane mode.

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

Hexadecimal;83901 said:
I don't know... I would have to put AI as being important, but it doesn't make the game... what is MOST important to a game is storyline, for me anyway... you can have the most realistic interactions imaginable, but if what you're doing seems stale and uninspiring, you wont care anyway...
take KotOR, for example... the AI was far less than fantastic... enemies would keep walking into walls and performed the same tasks over and over... however, the story stood out and the characters had enough of a pull to make the game the best game EVER, regardless of crappy AI... I'd obviously like it more with better AI, but if that came somehow at the cost of good story, I'd pass...
obviously games would be much improved by better quality AI... but it's not what makes or breaks a game for me...
I agree with that AI is a great way to enhance the story an immerse quality of a game but the story is paramount

B

Bishounen_Mason

A.I. Do you know how many times I wanted an NPC to give me a direct answer instead of something thats programed. Based on how much I have intimidated the person or how much money I gave them. I would just like to have a computer interact like a human in a game. A.I is that wave of the future GFX are nice but I think Actual storyline and A.I. are important as well. Games have lost touch With storyline. Games with beautiful Graphics have storyline but are so short done with a few hours if your good at games.