• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Battlefield Won't Become an Annual Title

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
bf3.png

Battlefield will be many things, but one thing it won't be is another milked cash cow reminiscent of an Activision product. DICE's executive producer Patrick Bach shared light on exactly why..​

"The business goals for us are not to release a game every year. To us, we need the time to be able to create the next game that consumers will hopefully like. If we were to release another big Battlefield title next year, that would mean that we'd have less than a year to build it, and that would mean that we'd have to have another studio building it for us, which would mean it wouldn't have that DICE seal of approval, which would mean they'd just have to release a copy of the game we just released. Ugh, no."​

Bach also stated that even though the annual business strategy is a popular and rather successful one, Electronic Arts will not be forcing the idea onto the Battlefield franchise. So to satisfy those who are content starved, DICE plans to go another popular route and release content expansions for the game instead (similar to BF:BC2's Vietnam pack).​

Source,

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
A double dig at Activision and CoD franchise there with them slating titles that need multiple developers and are annual cash cows. The BC2 Vietnam pack was brilliant and one of the best 'Expansions' ive played and id be happy to pay for another like it for Battlefield 3.

Reaction score
Battlefield will be many things, but one thing it won't be is another milked cash cow reminiscent of an Activision product.

That's good to hear, I'd rather wait half a decade for a well made game that I know is going to be rewarding and enjoyable than the same old s*** that the con artists at Activision keep spewing up.

You see this is what I like about DICE. Sure they want to beat the p****s at Activision, but they do it their own way and choose quality over quantity instead of trying to imitate the COD formula as other FPS competitors have in the past. You don't beat call of duty by trying to be call of duty, you make something better, and to tell you the truth BF3 is already looking better than any COD game I've ever played.

I have a feeling that Activision is gonna get it's a** whupped by DICE/EA this time round. :cool:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Activision is gonna get it's a** whupped by DICE/EA this time round. :cool:

With review scores and word of mouth maybe but i think CoD will still sell more despite BF3 being the all round better game.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
With review scores and word of mouth maybe but i think CoD will still sell more despite BF3 being the all round better game.

Ditto, those little kiddies are going to easily overlook BF3.. and quite frankly, I think that's a miracle.

Reaction score
I think that's a miracle.

Agreed, let them have their COD. That'll give the adults room to play BF3 without a bunch of 12 year old blowhards ruining everything for the serious gamers like they did with the COD community.

And like Drakan said, Call of duty will probably sell more. However I think it's safe to say BF3 will be the better game in terms of gameplay quality, from what I've seen of the previews this game is going to win my heart for sure.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Ditto, those little kiddies are going to easily overlook BF3.. and quite frankly, I think that's a miracle.

Yeah im hoping those 'kiddies' dont jump to BF3 too and start to plague Battlefield games with their teamkilling, camping etc. However most dont like Battlefield because they cant quick scope and it doesnt have game changing perks to unlock.

Sean

Fallen
Premium
Reaction score
I'm glad they are not making it an annual release. That's exactly what makes Battlefield different from Call of Duty in one perspective. The Battlefield series has much more time to improve graphics and graphic engines, work on past glitches, make the campaign action-y enough but also realistic (character and soldier personalities) and exploding environments, etc. The more time they have, the better it is. But while they are working on that they can release smaller expansions to further the game they already have out.