• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Behold the Mods Database! [Beta]

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve
Behold the Mods Database! [Beta]

Hi,

First off: It's very rare that I get an opportunity to use the word 'Beta'. I spent all day coding this thing from the ground up and I'm really pleased with the progression so far.

Before I go into details, I'd love for you folks to have a look-see : http://i.imgur.com/tJTR6.jpg.

Reminder: This is a BETA, meaning it is incomplete and is still in the early stages of development, optimization, bug hunting and overall aesthetics. I've coded this entirely from scratch and I would however love for you lovely folks to tell me why you think it looks awesome, looks like crap, and generally just let me know how you feel it could be improved.

A few things I'd love to highlight:

1. Insanely easy to create mod pages. I've been toying with the idea of a new usergroup which would be in charge of reviewing and validating individual mods for authenticity and quality. If this group should ever be created then it will be a doddle for you chaps to create those pages. It's basically a series of form inputs (currently 5) and isn't any more difficult than adding a reply to a forum topic.

2. I was serious when I said I wanted to reward mod developers. I've added the option for developers to provide their PayPal email address. People will then freely be able to donate a sum of their choosing to you for your hard work. How awesome is that?

Edit: Sounded a little like a salesman there...my bad.

3. The Battlefield Bad Company 2 pic is just a place-holder. Every mod developer will be able to have their own unique image used to help promote their work.

I'd really like to hear some feedback here, folks. Again: This is till in the very early stages but, well, this is just a lot of fun for me an. I've deliberately posted in this forum as I'm in need of some constructive criticism for the talented modders out there. I'm very eager to read what you guys have to say.

Just one last thing: The screenshot if just a capture of my localhost testing environment and the mods database isn't live yet. I realise I mentioned that above but just thought it best to mention again.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Re: Behold the Mods Database! [Beta]

that looks great steve! i honestly had to sit back and scale over the whole thing to nitpick out anything worthy of change. :lol:

the only thing is, maybe it would be better if instead of having the authors signature we could put up a picture of the mod in action? just so there's a little preview for the user.

other than that looks 100%, and your rep grows ever closer to zero... :lol:

Dracelix

Paladin
Reaction score

perhaps a screenshot page/tab so you can see a few pics of the mod in action, so you can have the main show off pic, and also you preview pics.

you could have a rating bar to it aswell, so people could rate it out of 10(and an amount downloaded, so mods that are highly downloaded could go in a top 10), thus making the best mods stand out.
also add a report button incase there are any mods that contain viruses or such.
and obviously a comment box?

sfroggy1

Resident Muppet
Premium
Reaction score

This looks simply awesome Steve and i can't wait until this is implemented and all the mods start pouring in :D

A rate bar would be great to have aswell, good idea Dracelix ;)

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score

That looks really nice, Steve. It's well laid out and the Download and Donate buttons look sexy.

If I only I had a good PC... :(

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve

cheezMcNASTY;398633 said:
the only thing is, maybe it would be better if instead of having the authors signature we could put up a picture of the mod in action? just so there's a little preview for the user.
I'm gonna sound like a complete twit here... but there isn't an option to allow for author's to have signatures. I'm not trying to be a douche, by the way. I'm sure there's just a misunderstanding - probably on my part. The Bad Company 2 pic in the screenshot is a place-holder and if the mod author should supply me with an in-game pic of their mod then that would be used instead, in order to give off a better idea of the mod's purpose.

Dracelix;398641 said:
perhaps a screenshot page/tab so you can see a few pics of the mod in action, so you can have the main show off pic, and also you preview pics.
Good idea. Multiple preview screenies is very do-able and I would be able to implement them in a way very similar to the 'slider' we have in place on projectego.net.

you could have a rating bar to it aswell, so people could rate it out of 10(and an amount downloaded, so mods that are highly downloaded could go in a top 10), thus making the best mods stand out.
Great idea...and done. I've implemented a third party '5 star' rating system. If you fancy another look then I can upload a fresh screenshot. Your idea also means that I can add a new 'Popular Mods' section in the sidebar where the top five rated mods will be highlighted.

also add a report button incase there are any mods that contain viruses or such.
and obviously a comment box?
A comment box has been there from the start but my preview didn't quite show it. The report option sounds like a good idea if I allow users to freely upload their own mods. However, I'm thinking that it would probably be better for me to personally 'vet' all mod submissions individually to ensure that they're all cosher. I won't even have to review 'em for safety if all a user submits is a text file.

James Butts

A Damn Fool
Reaction score

to make this post simple and short, I think it should function much like the database at tesnexus. I really think it functioned well, and it was straightforward and easy, the website address is tesnexus.net.

nicomon

Why?
Reaction score

James Butts;398676 said:
to make this post simple and short, I think it should function much like the database at tesnexus. I really think it functioned well, and it was straightforward and easy, the website address is tesnexus.net.

Personally, I think that what he's got planned for the Fable 3 mod database would be just as good, if not better.

James Butts

A Damn Fool
Reaction score

from what I've gathered, his is similar, but I didn't want to make a big long post or pick through what little I could see/read in that tiny image. so, I just simplified.

Woah and what is with the wateverfrikenlanguageanese at the bottom?

Havik

To End All
Premium
Reaction score

Love it :) Looks great

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

James Butts;398779 said:
Woah and what is with the wateverfrikenlanguageanese at the bottom?
:lol: That's just the standard text filler you get until you put the actual content in.

James Butts

A Damn Fool
Reaction score

Angel;398842 said:
:lol: That's just the standard text filler you get until you put the actual content in.

Oh okay that's cool.

cj-chris

Cookie Monster
Reaction score

projectego;398671 said:
Great idea...and done. I've implemented a third party '5 star' rating system. If you fancy another look then I can upload a fresh screenshot. Your idea also means that I can add a new 'Popular Mods' section in the sidebar where the top five rated mods will be highlighted.

Instead of a popular mods section in the sidebar what about displaying all mods through a vertical slider in order of ratings this way you dont have to scroll through loads of pages for a certain mod and then having to return to the original page.

Dracelix

Paladin
Reaction score

or perhaps a little 200x200px slider in the corner, showing 10 most popular rated/downloaded.

maybe a hall of fame aswell?

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve

I've just multi-quoted like a thousand people...forgive me if I miss your post out!

Also, update: http://imgur.com/clcIE.jpg

A few new features worth highlighting:

1. Ratings added
2. An option for developers to specify a particular license for their mods (probably quite a boring thing for the majority of you but it's mainly there to cover mine and the developer's backsides).
3. An area for thumbnails/previews at the bottom of the page which can be expanded to full size screenshots. I've added three as place-holders.
4. Actually, that's kind've it. Still, I think everything is looking awesome-sauce so far.

James Butts;398676 said:
I have used tesnexus in the past and they were definitely an inspiration. l4dmaps.com is definitely one of the bigger influences though.

nicomon;398750 said:
Personally, I think that what he's got planned for the Fable 3 mod database would be just as good, if not better.
I'm hoping so! I'd love for people to want to refer their friends to this site for all their Fable 3 modding needs. My main focus at the moment is making sure that we're prepared for the launch of Fable 3 an also to make sure that I can get some great content up as soon as possible.

JohnDoe;398865 said:
Will you be using the same system for tools? You'll have to have tool releases.
Good question! Quick answer: Most definitely! I've spent a considerable amount of time making sure the system is flexible.

Not awesome, I take issue with this. Your intentions are undeniably good, but the likely resulting outcome isn't. Don't get me wrong, I stand to be one of the biggest winners in this system, I just don't think it's something that should be done. However, I'm all for having donations go to the site..
That's cool, JD. I hope you don't mind my asking, but why do you feel this is a bad idea? I would genuinely like to have some of your feedback on this. I've actually spent a lot of today fixing a few 'WordPress' kinks that might have allowed mod developers to 'game' the system. I mean, one particular - and quite minuscule - problem is that a developer could constantly 'bump' his mod page by commenting (all recent comments appear in the sidebar with a link to the page that had been commented on) and having more attention aimed at his/her mod.

It's very minor but I am looking at ways to address any possible vulnerabilities or loop-holes in allowing users to receive donations.

One last quick thing that I probably didn't mention earlier: The ability to receive donations (and disclose your PayPal email address) is something that is completely optional to the mod developer. If for some reason the developer did no wish to give away any PayPal details or just doesn't have one then they are still welcome to publish their mod regardless.

cj-chris;399016 said:
Instead of a popular mods section in the sidebar what about displaying all mods through a vertical slider in order of ratings this way you dont have to scroll through loads of pages for a certain mod and then having to return to the original page.
Nice idea but could get way too bloated. I have no idea just how popular our mods section will be but even if we get 20 mod submitted - I wouldn't want to see that many cluttering up the sidebar. I'm confident that I've found a middle ground by allowing users the following options to track down certain mods based on the following criteria.

1. Tags: Helpful in allowing users to find other mods 'tagged' with the same keywords.
2. Categories: Very similar to the above, only searches are mad on a much broader scale. Using tags would be better if you have a specific mod style you have in mind.
3. A search bar at the top of each mod page. This search will only search through categories that I specifically mark as mod related.
4. A 'top rated' widget in the sidebar (currently in development). Personally, when I download mods from l4dmaps.com, I like to know that the file I'm downloading has received a few good reviews and won't just be a massive pile of crap. I tend to pass on new files that haven't received any love and I'm sure there'll be others out there who have the same approach that I do.

I've basically implemented every single kind of search function that I've found useful or feel that others might find useful.

Dracelix;399037 said:
or perhaps a little 200x200px slider in the corner, showing 10 most popular rated/downloaded.

maybe a hall of fame aswell?
Nice idea. I'm not sure if another 'slider' is a good idea but I'd definitely love to implement a 'hall of fame' type set-up. You've got me thinking now...

Anyways, thanks for the responses so far guys. Keep 'em coming. It's really a big help.

nicomon

Why?
Reaction score

JohnDoe;399092 said:
It might also upset the folks over at LionHead. The reason the modding community has been okay so far, even if dancing back and forth between fair use policies such as parody and educational purposes and blatant violation of the EULA, is because it has never once involved any amount of money. The tools are free, the mods are free, so if LionHead were to pursue something, it'd just be bad PR for them. If I supplemented my income from my nude skin and bigger boob mods, even if through donations, people over at LionHead would at least look into doing something about it.

Wouldn't the license thing partially cover that, with the rest of it balanced by the other problem that mentioned? I mean, the people who try to exploit the first problem would be attempting to control the fact that they are getting money from it, while those who don't have no control over whether or not they get money, meaning they aren't depending on it/trying to make money of of something that isn't their's. And preventing these problems from existing long enough for LionHead to notice (should these problems ever happen) is simple, as it could be done by putting a reporting system in place for people to report these things in, with a probable(if not certain... I wouldn't know what the moderators would decide) ban as punishment.

James Butts

A Damn Fool
Reaction score

I would think the ability to change your name color and/or gold subscription to projectego would be reward enough yes? Maybe the ability to add 1 custom userbar that you made. or maybe the ability to have an addition/change to the site seriously considered as long as it wasn't too horrid. oooo or ability to change rep bar color? or just some rep would be nice.

These are just random, safer ideas that popped into my head.

hobbes_pwn

Man's Best Friend...Hobbe
Reaction score

projectego;398631 said:
Hi,

First off: It's very rare that I get an opportunity to use the word 'Beta'. I spent all day coding this thing from the ground up and I'm really pleased with the progression so far.

Before I go into details, I'd love for you folks to have a look-see : http://i.imgur.com/tJTR6.jpg.

Reminder: This is a BETA, meaning it is incomplete and is still in the early stages of development, optimization, bug hunting and overall aesthetics. I've coded this entirely from scratch and I would however love for you lovely folks to tell me why you think it looks awesome, looks like crap, and generally just let me know how you feel it could be improved.

A few things I'd love to highlight:

1. Insanely easy to create mod pages. I've been toying with the idea of a new usergroup which would be in charge of reviewing and validating individual mods for authenticity and quality. If this group should ever be created then it will be a doddle for you chaps to create those pages. It's basically a series of form inputs (currently 5) and isn't any more difficult than adding a reply to a forum topic.

2. I was serious when I said I wanted to reward mod developers. I've added the option for developers to provide their PayPal email address. People will then freely be able to donate a sum of their choosing to you for your hard work. How awesome is that?

Edit: Sounded a little like a salesman there...my bad.

3. The Battlefield Bad Company 2 pic is just a place-holder. Every mod developer will be able to have their own unique image used to help promote their work.

I'd really like to hear some feedback here, folks. Again: This is till in the very early stages but, well, this is just a lot of fun for me an. I've deliberately posted in this forum as I'm in need of some constructive criticism for the talented modders out there. I'm very eager to read what you guys have to say.

Just one last thing: The screenshot if just a capture of my localhost testing environment and the mods database isn't live yet. I realise I mentioned that above but just thought it best to mention again.

Brilliant Work Steve i was hoping for a database like this

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve

JohnDoe;399092 said:
I see a dark future in commissions. Someone will request a mod, I tell him I'll make it for a certain sum of money. I give him screenshots to show that I have made the mod he wants, and I won't post it until he 'donates' the sum of money. Such things are a common practice in many communities, and it would keep our community from remaining open. And don't forget that who ever makes nude skins will instantly become rich. I'd do it, but then I'm morally bankrupt.
I see exactly where you are coming from and I'm glad you mentioned that sort of scenario.

I think that if a modder had that sort of mindset regarding the release of their mods then I'm confident they would demand a pre-release 'donation' whether we did or didn't have a post-release donation system in place. I wouldn't be able to put the mod on the website if they didn't release it and it'll be up to them if they want to wait for some generous chap to come along and say "Oh. Fine! Here's your damn blood money!" and gave the developer their 'donation', or they could release it immediately for free and - if it's of a decent quality - possibly earn more through donations off of the mod page. It's really a catch 22 for them if they take a very greedy approach.

I would also like to point out that if a mod is of such super amazing quality that it is just orgasmic to play is released, I would not have any problems with the author selling it privately through their own website or other such avenue. If they worked hard on their mod then who am I to say they shouldn't make some money off of it, right? I'll only allow free mods on projectego.net and if they're just going to be a douche and/or greedy then I just won't accept their submission. If that same user is just going around the forum soliciting and spamming links to their 'premium' mod in every thread saying "CHECK OUT MY AWESOME MOD ON MY WEBSITE LOL" then they'll also get banned.

Take for instance, Garry's Mod, the sandbox modification for Half Life 2 / Orange Box - now I don't believe for a second that Fable 3 will have the sort of expandability / modding scope that the Source engine allows but let's just pretend that it will - it was free for a while and garnered a cult following (and rightly so, it was brilliant). Then the developer decided to keep expanding on it, working on it, and devoting his time to improving it before making it a premium mod. Garry's Mod obviously got some flak for going the commercial route but people still went and paid for it because, well, it's just that brilliant.

I forgot where I was going with that to be honest... err... I was probably trying to make a point that if a modder or modding group decided to start charging for their mod then so be it. I can't stop it. Good luck to 'em and I hope they continue making a good enough product to warrant sales.

I think that's what I was getting at but looking back I think I just veered off a little there...

It will have an effect on modding and not for the better. People will occupy themselves with making mods they feel will get more donations rather than mods that explore and expand on what we know about modding.
I see where you're coming from but I see it from a different angle; the way I see it, developers will only get those donations if the mod is of interest to the consumers. Let's say a developer could make as many mods as they like and spam up the mod database with 90% of shovel-ware type mods (which they can't - I'll be personally adding each and every mod that meets my requirements and isn't just a poor duplicate of an already existing mod) - even then, I can't see that dev receiving many - if any - donations if their submissions are not of a decent quality and/or something that the majority of users will find enjoyable.

If anything, I see the donations system as a way of possibly helping influence developers to create better mods. I'm a pretty generous guy but I wouldn't donate to some crappy mod that didn't interest me. I'm sure most people will download a mod, try it and hopefully enjoy it, donate (or maybe not), but probably recommend that mod to their friends and refer them to the download page and hopefully increase traffic to the developer's mod for more potential donations.

The fact is: Developers will not receive donations if their product does meet the standards set by the people who try their mods.

is there no other way to reward modders?
At present, there's the Fable 3 Modders usergroup which a developer can be added to in order to receive some recognition but I'm definitely open to your ideas. I'd love to pick your brains on this, JD. Perhaps we can continue this area of the discussion through PM? How would you feel about the Fable 3 Modders group being freely available to join? If you were to become a Fable 3 modder, would you be interested in a authoritative position whereby it would be entirely up to you - and any fellow high profile modders such as Keshire and OldBoy if they decide to get into Fable 3 modding - to be able to nominate new members to be added to the Fable 3 Modders usergroup. I'm very eager to discuss a few more things with you and the fabletlcmod.com staffers.

Sean

Fallen
Premium
Reaction score

That looks very nice! :D