• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Bethesda win rights to Fallout MMO

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
zenimaxidbethesda.jpg
Interplay have now lost all their rights to the Fallout IP with ZeniMax Media (Bethesda's parent company) having total control over it after a $2 million pay out. Bethesda originally bought the rights to Fallout in 2007 but Interplay licensed back the rights to develop a Fallout MMO under certain conditions. However those rights are now null and void with this pay out.​

Zenimax CEO Robert Altman had the following to say​
Fallout is an important property of ZeniMax and we are now able to develop future Fallout titles for our fans without third party involvement or the overhang of others' legal claims," leaving a glimmer of hope for Fallout fans wanting to play an MMO set in the post-apocalyptic world. While we strongly believe in the merits of our suits, we are pleased to avoid the distraction and expense of litigation while completely resolving all claims to the Fallout IP.​
Interplay has been granted the rights to sell Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics until December 2013, after which Bethesda will assume the rights to sell the classic titles.​

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
Fallout MMO? Come on, the Elder Scrolls fans are like carving for one.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Sure, but ES is Bethesda's lovechild with the single player offline RPing genre.

Indeed and a Fallout MMO has been in the pipe line for years apparently and Interplay wanted to make their own.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score
They should be given the Fallout rights altogether.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
God, finally this whole legal battle is over, it's been going on for over a year now. Bethesda winning is for the best in my opinion as the guys who are running Interplay now rarely ever get things done. The same guys responsible for Superman 64, are regularly in debt, never meeting deadlines, etc. If Interplay had won this battle, I don't think we'd ever see another Fallout again (post-Fallout 4), let alone a good one.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
They're only entitled to make 2 or 3 fallout games last time I checked.

That was prior to this legal battle and it was only 1 Fallout game (Fallout 4), but now that they won they have full rights to everything Fallout and can now make as many as the want.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score
That was prior to this legal battle and it was only 1 Fallout game (Fallout 4), but now that they won they have full rights to everything Fallout and can now make as many as the want.

Oh, GOOD.

L0ki

The Six Gun Caballero
Reaction score
I'm glad about this. Interplay is horrible at game design. I'm not saying the story of the original Fallouts were bad, 'cause they weren't. I'm just saying Interplay had their prime years back in the day, but they literally had a big fall out in the gaming industry.

Cain

Reaction score
I'm glad about this. Interplay is horrible at game design. I'm not saying the story of the original Fallouts were bad, 'cause they weren't. I'm just saying Interplay had their prime years back in the day, but they literally had a big fall out in the gaming industry.

Black Isles made the Fallout games, Interplay wasn't directly reponsible for those games. After Brian Fargo left and the Caen Brothers took over, the Fallout series went downhill (except for Van Buren).

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Black Isles made the Fallout games, Interplay wasn't directly reponsible for those games. After Brian Fargo left and the Caen Brothers took over, the Fallout series went downhill (except for Van Buren).

The men who were involved in Black Isle Studios were god among men. They developed the Fallout series, Icewind Dale series as well as published my all-time favourite, the old-school Baldur's Gate series.

Then they went on and formed Troika Games with such classics as Arcanum. Really, if you wanted a thinking man's role-playing game and none of this "action rpg" bullcrap that is the trend today, these great men (and maybe women?) were the answer.

Oh god, I had a simultaneous nostalgia-gasm and role-playing game-gasm....!

Cain

Reaction score
The men who were involved in Black Isle Studios were god among men. They developed the Fallout series, Icewind Dale series as well as published my all-time favourite, the old-school Baldur's Gate series.

Then they went on and formed Troika Games with such classics as Arcanum. Really, if you wanted a thinking man's role-playing game and none of this "action rpg" bullcrap that is the trend today, these great men (and maybe women?) were the answer.

Oh god, I had a simultaneous nostalgia-gasm and role-playing game-gasm....!

Black Isles was going to make Baldurs Gate III: The Black Hound, but that went down the drain with Van Buren, so thats a real shame.

Also, have you played Planescape: Torment? Its another of Black Isles's RPGs. Apparently the combat isn't too great, but the story is amazing. If you have, would you reccomend it?

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
It is often called their magnum opus and rightly so as it is an amazing game. The story and setting are just top notch. Combat takes some effort to learn and get used to but it is worth it.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
Actually, I can imagine this MMO... *crashes at login screen*

Cain

Reaction score
It is often called their magnum opus and rightly so as it is an amazing game. The story and setting are just top notch. Combat takes some effort to learn and get used to but it is worth it.

Thanks for the info. I'll order it off Amazon soon.

IMesh

99% Toxin Free!
Reaction score
Start up the game...
GO!
"You have died from radiation sickness"
"Load last save?"