• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Book Recommendations

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score
Book Recommendations

What you do is just post a book or book series that you think other readers will like, quite simple, and it may just earn you some rep. You should also provide a description to the book, or a link to a site with a description, and give comments or a rating. And please list if it is a series or a single book. Have at it, and I hope to see people reading some of the series' suggested.

And also, since I know this is going to happen, First to say the Harry Potter series gets some rep.

The Belgariad

Series

Info: See link above.

Comments: Loved it. It is the best series I've ever read.

Rating: 10/10

The Mallorean

Series

Info: Continues off of The Belgariad; see more info above.

Comments: Very good, almost as good a The Belgariad.

Rating: 9.5/10

:D Thats all you have to do.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Re: Book Recommendations

HARRY POTTER!!!

It's not bad, but the Commonwealth saga by Peter F. Hamilton is better. It consist's of two books: Pandoras Star and Judas Unchained, but they're pretty big, so it's probably more like 4 books. Best books I've ever read though :D

F

Father of Skorm

damnit skotekal! i was gunna say that! :] +rep

ok, the elenium. same author, different world.
there are the elder gods and the younger gods of the Styrics, and the God of the Elenes. Set in a roughly medieval time frame, with magic very dissimilar to the belgariad. Focuses on the church knight Sparhawk, the church knights fight for the church of God, but know some of the arts of the styrics (magic). exciting world with ogre, trolls, undead, demonic things, and good old fashioned human selfishness and treachery. as well as thegood guys of course. im gr8 at these summary things, aint i?

Animorphs: K. A. Applegate.
bit of oldish 1, possibly out of print, certainly can't get in your local W H Smiths nemore! Save the world, invading aliens, more aimed at teens or young adult that a proper full on novel, if you like could finish one (or even 2) books within a day. self contained but continuous, can pick up any of the books and read, but best of read from 1 - 56(?).
The yeerks are invading, not the whole ZAP! TSEW! etc. of laser fire, but stealthy, gradual. you see, the yeerks are parasites. they live in your brain...

The Demonata : Darren Shan
still in print this 1 :D meant as a horror book series but i dont find that scary, still a good read. seperate universe (but still based in our own) from his 'saga of darren shan' vampire series.

and, i havent read it, but i may as well mention it, to go with the elenium in the same way as the malloreon goes with the belgariad; the Tamuli.

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve

Just you wait till Angel finds this thread... once she gets started talking about books there's no stopping her. ^_^

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

H.P Lovecraft - The Call of C'thulu and Other Weird Stories

A collection of stories written by one of the best, and most influential, writer ever!

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Ah books! My favourite! :wub:

Obviously the LOTR trilogy and the Hobbit are a must read - and all C.S Lewis books (although his sci-fi is a little too head-spinning for me).

Wheel of Time series, dunno where the guy got up to before he died but even unfinished it is a bold and absorbing creation...the Eyeless scared the crap out of me...

Children of Hurin (although a little Greek Tragedy it is a fantastic read by Tolkein)

All Asimov - just all of it.

Mallorean and Belgariad, as already mentioned, are fantastic books and highly recommended.

The Shock of Your Life by Adrian Holloway which depicts the aftermath of the death of three teenagers, each experience is different depending on their beliefs.

Cross and the Switchblade plus Run Baby Run

Harry Potter

Just So stories by Rudyard Kipling

I can't remember what it's called, which is a pain, but if anyone can tell me - the book is about the war in heaven before the earth began (not a religious book, just a bit of fantasy) and it's really clever and brilliantly written.

Terry Pratchett and Tom Holt books for sure

Jane Eyre

The Odyssey

The Iliad

The Aenead (total rip-off but then the Romans weren't exactly full of originality anyway)

All John Steinbeck novels

Books by Terry Goodkind (Sword of Truth series - a little weird in places but very very good)

I'll stop now - but I could go on FOREVER! (cue evil laughter etc)

F

Father of Skorm

also reccomend Anne McCaffrey (at least, her pern books and talent series, not sure about the rest...)
And kathy reichs. (crime based on her experience as a forensic anthropologist- inspired tv series 'Bones', if u liked, try if not, i wasnt sure about it either, try anyway. :D
And clive cussler. anyone watched the film, 'Sahara' about 'treasure hunter saves world'? utter cr*p compared to the book it was based on.
and yea, i agree completely w/ angel; tolkein was a master.

Man

The Superior Being
Reaction score

My Bloody Life and Once a King Always a King by Reymundo Sanchez
its kind of like an autobiography about him growing up in Humbolt Park in Chicago. He writes about his hardships and experiences when he was a member of the Latin King gang.

IT'S FRIGGIN' AWESOME!

Fast Food Nation is a good book too

Triz

Woot! Food =)
Reaction score

My favorite books would have to be : The City of Ember series.

I give it a 9.6/10.
One that I just read is Midnight for Charlie Bone. Great book. 9/10

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

I should go check some of these out, never really got into the LOTR series though, to be honest.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

I had them read to me as a child but never read them for myself until I saw the films and kept hearing everyone moan about what they did wrong or whatever so thought I'd read them for myself. Once you get past the ENDLESS poetry/singing you get a very good story.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

:lol:

F

FableFreak

Read these, they are spectacular:

Haunted - Chuck Palahniuk (or any other of his works)

I Am Legend - Yes, it was a book first. Not the ****ty movie.

It's Kind Of A Funny Story - Ned Vizzini

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

There are a lot more, but I just woke up and those are off the top of my head.

Z

Zingo

Angel;172881 said:
Once you get past the ENDLESS poetry/singing you get a very good story.

You should get beaten for that :(

But yes, the storyt is incredibly good and well structured. Nothing never happens without a good reason.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Eep! Don't beat me! Bear in mind when the stories were read to me, the singing bits were actually sung. by my father. who is renowned for his complete and utter tone deafness.

Talk about being scarred for life....

Dr KillJoy

Dark Paladin
Reaction score

I recomend reading the Halo series other than the halo series I would recomend the Biogrophy Of Dream Theatre

F

Father of Skorm

I would recommend the work of Garth Nix, such as the Sabriel (extended) trilogy, and the Keys to the Kingdom series (mister monday etc.)

i would not recommend reading Gray's Anatomy. no plot, no characters, but it does have some nice pictures. :lol:

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Garth Nix :thumbsup:

Ok - To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee is an absolute must - everyone should have read that book before they die.

John Grisham books are good (not all though) - A Time To Kill is fantastic

Nicky Gumbel, Josh Holloway, Doreen Irvine, Jennifer Rees Larcombe, David Pytches, Mike Pilavachi, Phillip Yancey, Stormie O'Martian, Adrian Plass, Nick Pollard, Joni Eareckson-Tada and the might Nicky Cruz for all those God-Squadders out there who like some good real-life stuff (especially One Holy Fire by Nicky Cruz - nothing like demonic forces being obliterated).

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Holden

The Remains of the Day (excellent film too)

Robin Cooper's books

John Houghton - The Oswain Series

Sophocles and Euripides, of course

Frank Perretti books - especially This Present Darkness, Piercing The Darkness and The Oath. Try Monster if you are an evolution/genetics type person

Sue Townsend (the Adrian Mole series)

John Christopher (the pen name for Samuel Youd) who wrote Empty World amongst many other sci-fi offerings.

John Wyndham - Day of the Triffids, The Chrysalids etc...fantastic writer and proper good sci-fi books.

Oscar Wilde - because he is freaking hilarious

Stephen Fry books - the man is a genius and very very funny

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

H.G Wells wrote sci-fi that was well ahead of it's time. War of The Worlds, The Time Machine and The Island of Dr. Moreau are all great books.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

The Time Machine movie was great and I really wanted to read the book.
It seems people here enjoy fantasy books the most, but I might be mistaken because I don`t know the most titles posted here. I haven`t read them much myself, mainly because we have to read books with deep plot (and many, many social problems is a must) in school.
My last was "Siddharta" by Hermann Hesse, it was really good.
Can`t recommend anything though, I enjoyed "The Deerslayer" by J.F Cooper, Jules Verne and "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding.
It`s a shame I haven´t had the time to read fantasy, adventure and sci-fi books, I like them.