• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Book Recommendations

G

games master2

Re: Book Recommendations

Father of Skorm;172819 said:
The Demonata : Darren Shan
still in print this 1 :D meant as a horror book series but i dont find that scary, still a good read. seperate universe (but still based in our own) from his 'saga of darren shan' vampire series.

i agree darren shan is the master of horror id give you rep but you stole my idea:'(

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Harry Turtledove. Not for everyone, but his alternate histories and fantasies are both fascinating. He really goes in for epic scale, particularly in the series that starts with How Few Remain.

Also, I will add my support to Angel-- Pratchett, definitely, and Holt was decent. Also Garth Nix.

I Am Legend, by [I forget his first name] Matheson, which Freak suggested, was decent. But it was slightly creepy, and so were the short stories slapped in the end to make the book longer. The guy had a bit of an unhealthy fixation with some creepy sex. Necrophilia and such, or suggestions of it.

Brave New World was pretty good.

Some new suggestions: Robert A. Heinlein, particularly Starship Troopers, is awesome. Arthur C. Clarke's novels aren't as good, but still entertaining. I remember my favorite being Childhood's End; but his short stories are much better. And yeah, Asimov too, hell yes.

In addition to the Big Three: Philip K. ****, awesome. Wrote more short stories than novels, but the short stories are VERY good. Lots of them (and at least one novel, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep) ended up movies, too, none of the movies as good as the story.

Timothy Zahn, too. I can definitely rccomend his Blackcollar series and his Star Wars novels; but I've only read a couple of his standalones. They were all cool.

And an addition, one I read recently, Old Man's War, by a relatively new guy named John Scalzi, very good.

And Orson Scott Card, particularly the Ender/Shadow series, though Alvin Maker is decent.

Greg Bear.

Walter Mosley

Fantasy-wise: Tolkien, hell yes, and Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time) is decent. Piers Anthony is... sometimes good. I actually can't think of any others. My brain is broken.

Oh, wait, there it is: Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series. His others are much more targeted towards younger kids, but the Artemis Fowl series is entertaining no matter how old you are.

Military/Science Fiction/Alternate History/Fantasy/Baen books: Eric Flint, David Weber, Mercedes Lackey, Catherine Asaro, Dave Freer.

And actually, the Halo series (like Killjoy suggested) is decent, if you ignore the shoddy printing game-based books always have and the sometimes-kinda-off narration. Eric Nylund is better than Dietz and the others. Mass Effect: Revelation is pretty good, too.

Triz suggested Midnight for Charlie Bone, by Jenny Nimmo. The series, I read the whole thing, was pretty good, but I didn't like it so much. Partly it's because Nimmo seems to be continuing it long past its death, but [shrugs]. It also seems a bit like a Harry Potter clone, but it isn't really. Much.

R.A. Salvatore was good in the one book of his I read-- Dragon Precinct, a standalone, was really good-- kind of reminded me like the Discworld Guards novels, but only in its premise of cops in a magical world.

Can't think of any others, but I probably will later.

I love books.

Amanda

I'M DE WEEEEINER!
Reaction score

I'm a Criminal Justice major so I usually read a lot crime/detective type novels but I will start with a non-crime book.

The Society of S

The main reason I picked up this book was because it's setting was about 15 minutes away from my house.

Identity issues involving a child of mixed heritage get a supernatural spin in this affecting coming-of-age tale. Ariella Montero's mother vanished the day she was born, leaving her to the care of her overprotective scientist father, who homeschools her and limits her contact with the outside world. Only when she reaches adolescence does Ari discover that her special diet and insular home life set her apart from her peers. Her father's confession that he was vampirized shortly before marriage, and that Ari can choose whether to be undead like him or mortal like mom, set her off on a road trip that eventually brings her to her mother and into an understanding of tough truths about her family. Hubbard (Walking on Ice) delineates Ari's world of innocent and uncertain adolescence with uncommon poignance and forgoes sensationalism for sensitivity in her depiction of vampirism as one of many emotionally charged challenges Ari faces as a child of estranged parents. She doesn't do much original with the vampire theme, but the novel's open ending suggests inevitable sequels where this may develop further.

More to come later but I absolutely LOVE all of Robert Crais' novels. I have almost every single book he has written.

Robert Crais -  Author

Missah33

Missah33
Reaction score

I have to say that i would recommend The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer. They are such good books, but i hate that they have become so popular, i'm actually surprised that no one recommended them in this thread. i would also recommend The Host by Stephenie Meyer. That book is almost better than the whole Twilight series.
For girls (i really doubt guys would be interested in them :p) i would like to say that the Gemma Doyle Series (A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels, and A Sweet Far Thing) is really good. I love those books, i couldn't put anyone of them down.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

I liked both Tim Thaler books by James Krüss, though they were completely different from each other.

FableFreak;172890 said:
Read these, they are spectacular:

I Am Legend - Yes, it was a book first. Not the ****ty movie.
Sadly, I read the plot from Wikipedia so I know whats going to happen in the end. But, as I know it, I can really say this book gives a new (and a lot different) meaning to "I am Legend".

Rhadiel said:
It`s out?

Miekkas

Sissi
Reaction score

Garth Nix is probably one of my favorite writers.^_^

One book I highly recommend is Alas Babylon.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Miekkas;188205 said:
Garth Nix is probably one of my favorite writers.^_^

One book I highly recommend is Alas Babylon.

I have never heard of that, which I would assume means it is not by Garth Nix. But who is it by/what is it?

F

FableFreak

Walker;173139 said:
I Am Legend, by [I forget his first name] Matheson, which Freak suggested, was decent. But it was slightly creepy, and so were the short stories slapped in the end to make the book longer. The guy had a bit of an unhealthy fixation with some creepy sex. Necrophilia and such, or suggestions of it.

Can't handle a little necrophilia? Pfff! Freak.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score

Necro feel ya? Get it? :lol:

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

FableFreak;188208 said:
Can't handle a little necrophilia? Pfff! Freak.

[sigh] Yes, it is one of my great shames, that I can't deal appropriately with the more interesting -philias.

andythegill

I have a cunning plan
Reaction score

THe black tattoo by Sam Enthoven was great im my opinion.

F

Father of Skorm

Recently read 'The Big Over-Easy' by Jasper Fforde. Interesting whodunnit based in Reading (town in England, GB). But here's the catch. The victim-Humpty Dumpty. Not some pleb by the name of, but an actual freakin egg! Lots of other characters from lore (but with a twist) such as DI Jack Spratt (who has an unfortunate record with tall people...), the Three Little Pigs, and Prometheus (you know, fire, rock, chain, eagle, liver...)
Funny read, and a good plot. Really keeps you guessing, but in a good way.

R

Rhadiel

I would recommend The Children of Hurin by JRR Tolkien

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Children of Hurin was [shrugs] meh. Jasper Fforde is a ffunny little f****er. He has another series, but it isn't as entertaining as the ffairy tale one.

J

Johnnycky94

I love harry potter and LOTR, anyone know a series that has the same principles as these?

Skorm's Boss

Nasty Bugger
Reaction score

I love star wars books, nearly own them all!
My other fav book, which I read at least every 6 months is the princess bride by William Goldman, it has so many twists and turns and makes me laugh out loud. The book is the story behind the abridgment and the story it's self. Of course the greatest thing about this book is......

none of it is real

I'd recommend it to anyone with a sense of humour and a love of fantasy, so all of you!

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Johnnycky94;189223 said:
I love harry potter and LOTR, anyone know a series that has the same principles as these?

The Charlie Bone series (starts with Midnight for Charlie Bone), by Jenny Nimmo; is a bit similar to Harry Potter in premise, but I can't think of anything aside from that.

Lord of the Rings is even harder, because pretty much ALL epic fantasy is similar to the Lord of the Rings. The only things I can think of off the top of my head are the Shannara series by Terry Brooks (I didn't like them that much, but they were decent); and possibly the Death Gate Cycle, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. (It began with Dragon Wing.)

F

Father of Skorm

Another good series is the Witchfire series by... someone. There's 5 of them, and I borrowed them off my sister a few years ago. Great stories, set in a medieval-esk period with magic (as can be surmised from the name of the books) about a young girl who discovers that she has a great power, then her life gets destroyed, by which I don't mean she dies, just pretty much all her family and everyone she knows hates her... As you do. Some interesting twists,and funny prologues in each book (there may only be 3 of them, I'm not sure...) in the style of a super-confidential scholar type thing.