• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Come on microsoft!

LilBud710

Hood
Reaction score
Anyone wanna help me bug them for the Fable engine? They need to release it as a editor Fable modding would be amazing!

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Don’t think it will be too long before they announce something new but don’t imagine they will do anything with previous ones now.

LilBud710

Hood
Reaction score
Don’t think it will be too long before they announce something new but don’t imagine they will do anything with previous ones now.

True, gotta wonder if Microsoft even cares. Probably not lol, worth a shot I suppose :/ will just have to wait to possibly have a new editor coded by the community. Me and one other person on my Fable mod discord are hoping we can do it through learning more about the stb and the other dreaded file types. I still barely know C++ though so it will probably take forever.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Well they still own the IP and rumours are that Playground Games are working on a new title and we should get news soon.

LilBud710

Hood
Reaction score
What do you mean by the IP? You wouldn't think Microsoft would have gotten rid of FableEd but maybe they even did :/ hopefully not though I'm just hoping I can get enough comments and views on my video of "should the engine be released" and then hope that someone from Microsoft sees it.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
What do you mean by the IP? You wouldn't think Microsoft would have gotten rid of FableEd but maybe they even did :/ hopefully not though I'm just hoping I can get enough comments and views on my video of "should the engine be released" and then hope that someone from Microsoft sees it.

Microsoft own the rights to all things Fable and the Fable name itself so although Lionhead Studios is gone it will live on through a new development team.

Fable Anniversary uses the Unreal engine 3 so that’s already openly available as a development tool but the others used an in house engine which likely disappeared with Lionhead as Microsoft only owns the rights and published it.

LilBud710

Hood
Reaction score
Yes true. Also, I may be wrong but the UE3 dev tool is just as bad as Cbox was, yet even a little worse. I remember always reading how horribly they implemented Fable into UE3 to where it puts us right in the same spot as TLC modding (not being able to do much at all) huge limitations. Just gotta hope that FableEd build may exist somewhere. Though your probably right it probably is long gone. Maybe anniversary could be somewhat re-done in the latest Unreal using the Fable assets, from scratch. So that maybe the limitations could be no more.
EDIT either that or a new editor for TLC. But it's been how many years since the release and development of Cbox and FE that maybe it just can't be figured out since the engine was in house. (figuring out meaning the stb and everything else unknown/ un editable such as uncompiled defs, new quests, regions so much more) Or maybe the unknowns can be figured out, and become new features in Cbox / FE or a new editor.