• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dawn of the dead people Moans about Dead Rising

X

XXXREAPERXXX

Dawn of the dead people Moans about Dead Rising

News: Dead Rising versus Romero goes a bit legal - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

New line publisher of dawn of the dead is not to impressed with capcom's Dead Rising.

I think this is utter bull****, why is this coming now after how long since the game was released. I think they want to cash in or stop a sequel being made.

Why not then let George Romero sue every game ever for creating zombie games and folk there has been allot.

There is even a disclaimer on the cover, claiming any similarity with the film Dawn of the Dead is entirely coincedental .

Whats next voodoo priests suing George Romero for zombie infringement or Leonard da Vinci gets sued by sexist woman group for painting a woman form .

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Re: Dawn of the dead people Moans about Dead Rising

A game is made as an honour and homage to your line of movies. What do you do? Sue them and cash it!

Moron.

F

FableFreak

I would support George Ramero more than Capcom... Simply because I prefer his movies over the game (Which is ****ing awesome!)

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

That's.... just wrong, Freaky.... :(

You can't trademark the zombie concept, no matter who you are.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

Alright, I'm going to trademark the colour blue and fish. God damnit you can't trademark concepts:realmad:

D

deathbydecay

Meh, I understand trademarking mouse idols.. Like Mickey! :D... But zombies.. Come on.. It's not like they're that important.. And just because they have a game that just happens to take place in a mall.. With zombies invading.. With people trapped in said mall.. It doesn't mean they were stealing some dudes idea.. >.>.. Not at all...

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

Even if they did steal the idea (I don't know I have not played the games or seen the movies) there's only so many good ideas to go around o_O

F

FableFreak

For reference I have NOT read the article, I just based what I said off Reapers post. Also George A. Ramero should be paying me for how big of a fan I am of his. I think I deserve something for watching the Living Dead series 100 times over.

andythegill

I have a cunning plan
Reaction score

You can't copyright an old folk legend and it being in a mall, its the best place for zombie pwning fun all the supplies you need.

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score

I would hazard a guess that one of the main reasons why this is all hitting the fan now is because of Romeros new film being released, for one its an attempt to draw publicity to that, Dead Rising may even profit off the release by putting people in the mood for more zombie based material and all that jazz.

Its all kind of funny though since the original Night of the Living Dead was never copyrighted properly and that caused a whole slew of chaos for Romero back in the day if I remember right.

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

Seems movie wise that Frankenstein and later Re-animator were a bit ahead of these
My favorite was "Children shouldn't play with dead things"

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Seems this has advanced to the next stage...

CVG said:
A movie producer with the rights to George Romero's Dawn of the Dead movie sued Dead Rising developer Capcom on Monday after talks between the two parties failed.

As we reported earlier this month, Capcom sought an injunction against the MKR Group to prevent it suing the games company. But it seems it didn't get what it wanted.

"Both works are dark comedies," the complaint filed by MKR reads. "Both works provided thoughtful social commentary on the 'mall culture' zeitgeist, in addition to serving up a sizable portion of sensationalistic violence."

There's more than a healthy link between Dawn of the Dead and Dead Rising, but the crux of the lawsuit appears to be that they both feature zombies in a mall.

Based on that, you could say that the holders of HG Wells estate could sue Roland Emmerich because Independence Day features aliens invading a planet called Earth.

And to say that Dead Rising provided social commentary on anything is just a joke. The only thing razor-sharp in Dead Rising is the chainsaw blades the freaky clown uses to slice you up.

We'll be keeping a close watch on how the lawsuit proceeds. There's a fair bet any possibility of a sequel to a game some of us in the office bought our Xbox 360 for is tied to the outcome.

Amanda

I'M DE WEEEEINER!
Reaction score

Has anyone ever played Zombies Ate My Neighbors back on SNES? There was a level where you were in a mall (escalators and all) fighting off zombies which was made in 1993. I don't recall anyone suing over that game.

X

XXXREAPERXXX

According to Spong.com : Capcom got sued : here: Capcom Sued 0ver Dead Rising - News at SPOnG.com

New York-based film production company, MKR Group, is suing Capcom claiming the Xbox 360 game, Dead Rising, infringes the copyright of George A Romero's 1978 zombie flick Dawn of the Dead.

According to Reuters, "Earlier this month, Capcom filed a case against MKR in a California federal court, seeking a declaration that the game did not infringe on MKR's intellectual property rights. It also sought an injunction to prevent MKR from suing the company".

Capcom's contention is that, "humans battling zombies in a shopping mall" is a "wholly unprotectible idea".

MKR in its filing in New York on Monday claims that, "Both works are dark comedies. In both, the recreational activities of the zombies and absurdly grotesque 'kill scenes' provide unexpected comedic relief.

"Both works provided thoughtful social commentary on the 'mall culture' zeitgeist, in addition to serving up a sizable portion of sensationalistic violence".

The MKR Group is effectively owned by Richard Rubinstein the producer on the 2004 remake of Romero's 1978 classic. 2004 was in fact Rubinstein's last connection with The Dead movies.

Neither Capcom nor MKR could settle the zombie-based argument out of court. Send more brains says SPOnG.
This could be bad for a sequel, Dammit:realmad:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

XXXREAPERXXX;166138 said:
This could be bad for a sequel, Dammit:realmad:

If they win their case then there wouldnt be a sequel without them coming to a deal.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Mm..I hope Romero won't try to sue me, if I ever run into a hoard of zombies and decide to hide in a mall for safety. :(

D

Darg

People these days... you slap a lawsuit on something and call it good. M.C. Escher once said something about how "Originality is only an illusion," but you don't need to sue people over just similarities in ideas!

weirdkidinabox

Eccentric Genious
Premium
Reaction score

Gikoku;166795 said:
Mm..I hope Romero won't try to sue me, if I ever run into a hoard of zombies and decide to hide in a mall for safety. :(

I dont think its Romero who is sueing Capcom, I think its one of the producers who hold rights to the movie;

"A movie producer with the rights to George Romero's Dawn of the Dead movie sued Dead Rising developer Capcom on Monday after talks between the two parties failed."