• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable 3: Magic & Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAlucid

Reaction score
Re: Fable 3: Magic & Will

The Tyrant Lord;424709 said:
You know I don't like arguing with you Grim, but i'll ask for sauce now.

I misinterpreted that line as well, he's just saying: 'You can't fire a gun without pulling the trigger.'

GrimWhim

Reaction score

The Tyrant Lord;424709 said:
You know I don't like arguing with you Grim, but i'll ask for sauce now.

TheAlucid;424708 said:
Ah, well, if you're talking about 'will' as in motive that simplifies things. The gauntlets lore wise are guns, only shaped like gloves. They are a form of high-tech weapon.

Again, functionally there is no distinction between using high-tech guns and being magically empowered. Just in one scenario the power is clearly separate from the user, which makes the user much less fantastic and more normal.

I'm lost on both of these.

TheAlucid

Reaction score

GrimWhim;424724 said:
I'm lost on both of these.

I see,

The gauntlets are gadgets, admittedly they don't shoot bolts on their own without a user but they are functionally the same as any other weapon/gun.

The main character does not have any abilities to control Will, which makes playing a mage very unappealing. Using my earlier analogy, it's like playing a warrior who is crippled and possesses absolutely no skill with a blade but uses an enchanted sword to do all the fighting. He'll always be considerably less heroic than the prodigy swordsman who fights with a broom handle.

The abilities don't lie with the character, they lie with the weapon.

GrimWhim

Reaction score

TheAlucid;424760 said:
I see,

The gauntlets are gadgets, admittedly they don't shoot bolts on their own without a user but they are functionally the same as any other weapon/gun.

The main character does not have any abilities to control Will, which makes playing a mage very unappealing. Using my earlier analogy, it's like playing a warrior who is crippled and possesses absolutely no skill with a blade but uses an enchanted sword to do all the fighting. He'll always be considerably less heroic than the prodigy swordsman who fights with a broom handle.

The abilities don't lie with the character, they lie with the weapon.

Well... I don't think that's necessarily what Lionhead is aiming for. I think they're just trying to develop new and interesting gameplay mechanics so that players won't be experiencing the same crap again and again.

In fact, we may have Will powers but they are dormant and these gauntlets help us focus them.

After all, our bloodline has been diluted over the years so it's only natural for us to become less and less "magical".

king_reaver

Reaction score

think about sorcerer apprentice 2010
they needed item to cast spell

Externium

Reaction score

I speculated the gauntlets were a creation by the hero of bowerstone. Using his knowledge of will and with the help of the gypsies augments he fashioned the gauntlets so that his children would be able to use will because he realized that with the increase in technology and industrialization the power of will is fading from the world and this may be the last resort to keep the arcane art alive.

king_reaver

Reaction score

Externium
i doubt that because you can morph gauntlet, i think can buy them from shop like any other weapons,i think made in Samarkand
curse spell weaving bandit , where did they get gauntlet-_-

joslen1

Resident Psychiatrist
Reaction score

i still think they are more likely just a GUI, a non - list way of mixing and changing spells. as to the bandit using will, there were plenty of magic using NPCs in fable 2. There was Garth, Captain Dread, hollow men using shock and force push, and (at least in the Colosseum) there were beetles using the directed time control spell. there was even a giant magical tower! whats to say he's just another person able to tap in to the winds of magic a little bit?

or the gauntlets could be like focussing lenses, compensating for the dilution of the bloodline with a magical magnifying glass.

Paragon

The Ghoul
Reaction score

I hate these gauntlets so much...
I wouldn't mind if they were purely for focusing the will power that a Hero has.
However, if a bandit can use the gauntlets... UGH!!

GrimWhim

Reaction score

Paragon;424931 said:
I hate these gauntlets so much...
I wouldn't mind if they were purely for focusing the will power that a Hero has.
However, if a bandit can use the gauntlets... UGH!!

I'm fine with that. I'll show the lousy bandit why messing with something he can't fully comprehend is bad for him. Then I'll take his gauntlet(s) and store them away so that no other intellectually challenged individual can attempt to use them (if that's possible).

Externium

Reaction score

king_reaver;424804 said:
Externium
i doubt that because you can morph gauntlet, i think can buy them from shop like any other weapons,i think made in Samarkand
curse spell weaving bandit , where did they get gauntlet-_-

Hm... let's see i would guess that once created there were numerous made. I'm guessing there won't be a large amount of enemies using gauntlets so that bandit probably was able to snag one for himself at some point during their creation.

I guess my whole concept is that they are not just a mechanic added to give magic a visual item, but actually a part of the history of fable.

ScarFace12793

Reaction score

I speculated the gauntlets were a creation by the hero of bowerstone. Using his knowledge of will and with the help of the gypsies augments he fashioned the gauntlets so that his children would be able to use will because he realized that with the increase in technology and industrialization the power of will is fading from the world and this may be the last resort to keep the arcane art alive.

i like the way u put that theory :)

Mlaar

Reaction score
I thought that perhaps the gloves are a "focus", without a person who has the ability to channel will, they are merely a glove but when someone born with the inherent ability to use will, then they channel the spells cast through them. As many people have already said many years have past since the major will users existed the blood has thinned, knowledge has waned in the casting, so the creation of an item to help enhance the casting of spells was inevitable.
Just my thoughts on the matter

Hhate

Black Dagger Brother
Reaction score

im hoping it just boosts the will other wise it will create lots of changing your gauntlets, like changing when fighting enemies with different weaknessess

Rule of thumb always have a blades gauntlet on hand

Armondo Buddy

Reaction score
This makes me sad. what if the Hero doesn't have Will powers. This totally RUINS my ideas for making a Gandalfy character if the all-mighty mage isn't really a mage at all just some old wrinkly guy who puts on some fancy gloves and shoots you with a blast of lightning. While looking awesome with his wrinkled skin, white hair, and epic robes... at least those are factors I can still implement into the gam

Status
Not open for further replies.