• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable 3: Magic & Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAlucid

Reaction score
Fable 3: Magic & Will

Just a brief question concerning the lore of Fable 3 about the Magic system, and not so much about how the magic system in Fable 3 will work. Though it looks awesome.

Will the main character be wielding magic innately but using gauntlets to focus the power? Or will magic be wielded through use of the gauntlets, which in turn are magical?

While the answer won't affect the game play at all, I have always enjoyed the immersion you get from RPGs. The former scenario being the case is much more preferred for me rather than the latter. For an analogy, the latter scenario would be like playing a warrior who was weak and unskilled in combat, but had an enchanted sword that dragged him around and did all the fighting for him. The character ends up becoming less heroic, albeit he plays exactly the same as a prodigy fighter who fights only with a broken broom handle.

LyNxY yO

Reaction score
Re: Fable 3: Magic & Will

I HOPE that it's the same sorta situation with Spider-man, who puts his web-juice into those canisters to shoot when-ever he pleases.

So yeah i think it's to focus it more, as the Bloodline is supposed to be the most Will/Magically gifted through-out Ablion's history, but it most be getting a tad weak now almost a Millenia down the family-tree.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

TheAlucid;423579 said:
Just a brief question concerning the lore of Fable 3 about the Magic system, and not so much about how the magic system in Fable 3 will work. Though it looks awesome.

Will the main character be wielding magic innately but using gauntlets to focus the power? Or will magic be wielded through use of the gauntlets, which in turn are magical?

While the answer won't affect the game play at all, I have always enjoyed the immersion you get from RPGs. The former scenario being the case is much more preferred for me rather than the latter. For an analogy, the latter scenario would be like playing a warrior who was weak and unskilled in combat, but had an enchanted sword that dragged him around and did all the fighting for him. The character ends up becoming less heroic, albeit he plays exactly the same as a prodigy fighter who fights only with a broken broom handle.

This. In a recent combat video, a Bandit was shown using fire gauntlets (two).

LyNxY yO

Reaction score

The Tyrant Lord;423583 said:

Now that's exactly what i need, Bandits shooting Fire out of their Hands :/

It was painful enough when the Cheifs could teleport :/

WHAT HAS BECOME OF ALBION?! :( :blush:

TheAlucid

Reaction score

LyNxY yO;423580 said:
I HOPE that it's the same sorta situation with Spider-man, who puts his web-juice into those canisters to shoot when-ever he pleases.

So yeah i think it's to focus it more, as the Bloodline is supposed to be the most Will/Magically gifted through-out Ablion's history, but it most be getting a tad weak now almost a Millenia down the family-tree.

While a weakened Bloodline does much in the way to describe why the main character is unable to wield magic, it doesn't make it any more desirable. Perhaps Lionhead is making a point about regular people being heroes, but it seems to be slightly paradoxical.

If everyone could be heroic, we wouldn't exactly find it awe inspiring, would we? We might find it as fascinating as people with brown or blond hair.

The Tyrant Lord;423583 said:

Ah, well damn. But there is still some potential, after all the hero in Fable 2 wasn't the only person able to wield magic. Though this is a last ditch effort to preserve the first scenario I described.

tjbyrum1

That Asshole Son-of-a-Bitch
Reaction score

It seem it goes this way:
(From most-used to least used (by me anyway))
Fable I
1. Melee
2. Magic
3. Ranged

Fable II
1. Ranged
2. Melee
3. Magic

Fable III (Assumption)
1. Ranged
2. Melee
3. Magic.

Magic seems to be degenerating in use.

TheAlucid

Reaction score

tjbyrum1;423592 said:
It seem it goes this way:
(From most-used to least used (by me anyway))
Fable I
1. Melee
2. Magic
3. Ranged

Fable II
1. Ranged
2. Melee
3. Magic

Fable III (Assumption)
1. Ranged
2. Melee
3. Magic.

Magic seems to be degenerating in use.

According to the Fable wiki, magic in Fable 3 will only morph the player's appearance by prematurely aging them. No longer giving the player will lines.

Seems like it's becoming less attractive to make a mage character in future iterations of the game, but perhaps Lionhead is expressing a point?

That seems contradictory though, as one of the over arching plots of Fable 3 appears to be man versus industry. But you'll be using tools of industry in order to facilitate the conflict.

redfable

One with the force
Reaction score

I can't believe that will is becoming diluted, Theresa said, "the life force of heros, will itself..." during your conversation with her in Fable II near the beginning. Besides there is William Black was the first hero, and there is no indicator that says that his parents were too heros. So obviously he generated a dormant power within his blood that the world had never seen. I think that the gauntlets are just a way of giving players a visually logical way of combining spells.

TheAlucid

Reaction score

redfable;423598 said:
I can't believe that will is becoming diluted, Theresa said, "the life force of heros, will itself..." during your conversation with her in Fable II near the beginning. Besides there is William Black was the first hero, and there is no indicator that says that his parents were too heros. So obviously he generated a dormant power within his blood that the world had never seen. I think that the gauntlets are just a way of giving players a visually logical way of combining spells.

I can't help but think that's Lionhead's most plausible reason. So instead of will lines which potentially everyone could get, they player has gauntlets for each spell that morph a bit when you use them with other spells.

It's just giving the player cool aesthetics at the cost of the lore behind the hero in the game.

VicOnTop

Reaction score

TheAlucid;423594 said:
According to the Fable wiki, magic in Fable 3 will only morph the player's appearance by prematurely aging them. No longer giving the player will lines.

Seems like it's becoming less attractive to make a mage character in future iterations of the game, but perhaps Lionhead is expressing a point?

That seems contradictory though, as one of the over arching plots of Fable 3 appears to be man versus industry. But you'll be using tools of industry in order to facilitate the conflict.

maybe lionhead is trying to point out that in all our old fables there was magic, but just like the game. in our lives it has become nothing less a fantasy as well

GrimWhim

Reaction score

Your title is redundant.

Anyways, the gauntlets are what allows us to use magic. Which isn't too bad, I've always liked gauntlets because they add a little bit o' the cool factor and it helps when being a caster.

You know, because we get screwed over in every other aspect.

Balvorn

Imagineer
Reaction score

GrimWhim;423718 said:
Your title is redundant.

Anyways, the gauntlets are what allows us to use magic. Which isn't too bad, I've always liked gauntlets because they add a little bit o' the cool factor and it helps when being a caster.

You know, because we get screwed over in every other aspect.

But you aren't even the one casting now, it's just your magic gloves!

VicOnTop

Reaction score

Balvorn;423739 said:

and since when do gauntlets cast spells.? its the first ive heard of that type of glove to be used for magic.
i wanna know who thought that up at lionhead, cuz theyre geniuses obviously

heishere909

MasterofSkill
Reaction score

im hoping it just boosts the will other wise it will create lots of changing your gauntlets, like changing when fighting enemies with different weaknessess

GrimWhim

Reaction score

Balvorn;423739 said:

Gloves =/= gauntlets.

Anyways, the gauntlets do nothing on their own. Without your will, they are as useful as scrap metal.

Many games and stories have used different means in which the caster casts his spells and they have ranged from staves to wands to books and even orbs.

TheAlucid

Reaction score

GrimWhim;424198 said:
Gloves =/= gauntlets.

Anyways, the gauntlets do nothing on their own. Without your will, they are as useful as scrap metal.

Many games and stories have used different means in which the caster casts his spells and they have ranged from staves to wands to books and even orbs.

Ah, but you see that is what we've been discussing. The consensus so far has been that the gauntlets are what is imbued with magic, and your character doesn't have any Will of his own.

Which would explain why your character no longer gets Will lines when you keep casting spells, and why bandits are able to cast spells with the gauntlets.

Jack of Spade's

The Assassin
Reaction score

TheAlucid;424416 said:
Ah, but you see that is what we've been discussing. The consensus so far has been that the gauntlets are what is imbued with magic, and your character doesn't have any Will of his own.

Which would explain why your character no longer gets Will lines when you keep casting spells, and why bandits are able to cast spells with the gauntlets.

Yep they just toss us will users aside like were just f**king crazy.

Also as if bandits weren't annoying enough for f**ks sake

GrimWhim

Reaction score

TheAlucid;424416 said:

I'm not talking about will as in Will.

Definition of will.

There, that should clear it up.

Also, I don't think it's ever been confirmed by an official source that Will lines are completely gone and that we prematurely age from using magic.

TheAlucid

Reaction score

GrimWhim;424541 said:
I'm not talking about will as in Will.

Definition of will.

There, that should clear it up.

Also, I don't think it's ever been confirmed by an official source that Will lines are completely gone and that we prematurely age from using magic.

Ah, well, if you're talking about 'will' as in motive that simplifies things. The gauntlets lore wise are guns, only shaped like gloves. They are a form of high-tech weapon.

Again, functionally there is no distinction between using high-tech guns and being magically empowered. Just in one scenario the power is clearly separate from the user, which makes the user much less fantastic and more normal.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

GrimWhim;424198 said:
Gloves =/= gauntlets.

You know I don't like arguing with you Grim, but i'll ask for sauce now.

Status
Not open for further replies.