• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable 4 or Fable (reboot)?

Fable 4 or Fable (reboot)?

• Fable 4

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Fable (reboot)

Votes: 21 75.0%

• Total voters

Nichool

Reaction score
If playground are making a fable game, one of their first decision regarding story and lore is to decide between making Fable 4 or Fable (reboot).

If they make Fable 4, they'll simply pick a timeline within the lore and expand upon it. If it's a full reboot that would enable them to have much more creative freedom on the world and story while hopefully retaining core elements such as the heroes guild, magic, creatures, towns like Bowerstone, etc...

Personally I don't mind either of them but I do think that the studio might prefer to go full reboot to signal a fresh start, have more creative freedom and introduce fable to a new younger audience.

Which would you prefer Fable 4 or Fable (reboot)?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I dont mind either way, I would like the lore to still stand for something of course but I wouldnt mind them stepping away from previous games in many other areas. With the core elements remaining there are MANY things that I would either strip out or redesign entirely to bring the game up to date with other RPG's. The humour needs to remain to an extent but remove the childish parts like the farting/dancing expression wheel & bring in meaningful dialogue choices.

KaveX

Witcher
Premium
Reaction score
I would personally love to see a reboot for the simple fact it's not Lionhead developing Fable anymore. I would hope they retain the art style and the general feel of the series (Humor, morality, decisions, etc). Maybe they could soft reboot it back to the Old Kingdom and implement more fleshed out RPG mechanics such as dialogue options, impactful choices, gear stats and attributes, focused character builds instead of just learning everything in the game. An actually decent magic system would be a god send as well. I can't tell you how much I detest Fable II and III's magic. There's many other things I would like to say and touch up on, but I feel like this post would just end up becoming an essay :lol:.

lee

-Hero of Knowledge-
Reaction score
I would definitely prefer a reboot. Although modern games such as Fable Anniversary and Fable 3 was fun the fundamental game engine is just to old. I definitely agree that the old expression wheel needs updating and many other things as well. A new company at the helm now will bring new ideas and hopefully they won’t be bogged down with old gaming mechanics. I’m much the same, keep humor, fantasy world, RPG elements and great world design.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
We've been hoping for a reboot to the Old Kingsom or Jack of Blades days for years, why would it happen now? Pessimism!

lee

-Hero of Knowledge-
Reaction score
Fable is a massive franchise and with Microsoft investing more time in their software I believe that it could still be possibly on the cards. I keep my fingers crossed that this could be finally the year that we hear some news on a new Fable.

VinDiesel

Living Necromonger
Reaction score
Hasn't each sequel been a reboot? Very little remained from one game to the next. The franchise wasn't ever really meant to expand existing lore but to make money for Microsoft. Which isn't bad! Everyone needs to make money. But the sacrifice was that lore was written and rewritten as they went, as well as game mechanics and even game genres! It's a linear rpg throughout, then it's on rails but don't say it's on rails, then it's a f2p mmo, moba, whatever Legends was going to be. Now it's a tcg. It's scary. People want a new Fable game but does anyone know what a Fable game is? Fable has no persisting identity as a series.

The prospect of a different, recently acquired studio with different developers whose only experience is in Forza playing with Fable under continued Microsoft oversight scares me because I don't know what Fable's going to be next and I can't think of any group of people less able to do it justice besides EA.

Nonetheless, I'd like to see a new Fable game that expands on the universe from the original. Call it Fable: TLC 2.

Editing this so it doesn't come off as hostile, that's not my intention.

I know they're bringing in rpg talent. I know they're formulating. I just worry. Every entry in the series has been met to some extent with disappointment and a lot of that was Molyneux and I know that he's not around anymore. But that's double-edged. Molyneux isn't around, the Carter brothers aren't there, the original Fable teams aren't there. And it's still Microsoft. I'd be careful about optimism, instead relying on pragmatism and healthy pinches of salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: lee

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
Hasn't each sequel been a reboot?
No, at least until Fable 3 they had loose connections and references to the previous titles and the original. Post-Fable 3 is where they became more or less detached to various degrees.

I think though they would do a reboot using the Fable 2 style. I am not sure TLC would have that much appeal nowadays, and the Old Kingdom story seems something very few people would be able to familiarize themselves with. If I wanted mass appeal I'd look into the fantasy, folklore elements of Fable 2 and to an extent 3 and bring them together in a reboot.

VinDiesel

Living Necromonger
Reaction score
Therein lies the problem. The games are so inconsistent from each other that each one could have it's own sequel/prequel. Doing anything in the setting or style of any one game would upset the fans of the other games.

The consistent move is to be inconsistent and make an entirely new game only connected to the others by sharing the same title, which I'd lean towards as the least bad option.

I am not sure TLC would have that much appeal nowadays
Be careful sir. People who play a game for 15 years often develop feelings about it bordering on fanatical. ;) Those guys are crazy.

VinDiesel

Living Necromonger
Reaction score
An interesting idea was proposed in the Fable Reddit. What about VR?

I don't know the current status of Microsoft's VR plans for XBO, it'd be easy for me to miss news of them coming out with a headset and some VR titles. If that's not the case, Fable remasters would be an interesting opportunity. Even Journey could benefit from a VR experience, not to mention cross-platform titles that have already gone VR like Skyrim. And it is tradition to use Fable to showcase emerging Microsoft technologies. A VR remake would go well paired with a new Fable title and if they do it right, they could take advantage of how emotionally unstable the Fable fanbase is because they'd swing wildly to love the franchise again. Makes too much sense to be probable, it's just a nice idea.

Hiroz41

Reaction score
I think they should reboot the series and create the same lore and when you do make the decision and the concusses and the hummer think like fable 2 style which the magic system of fable 1 and TLC and kingdom of Amalur reckoning system when you stop the time slow it like that it will be a lot of fun and change a little the guns when your fire in that state to more ammo and in that state you can combine with magic to make a more powerful shoot think a bullet with the lighting spell that when it hit it to make electricity damage and that dog help in fight and sometimes you can jump and go to cover

Reactions: lee

Hiroz41

Reaction score
I’d take anything at this point. Even Fable: Battle Royal... well, maybe not. :ermm:
please no anything but that it really is not good it will suck the life of the game its but it will so bad

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Hiroz41

Reaction score
yes, please don't joke it will really suck :sick: