• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable Could Have Been So Much Better...

tjbyrum1

That Asshole Son-of-a-Bitch
Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't been on here for a while, and I doubt much of you will read this, but for those who will - thank you. Perhaps skip the first three paragraphs to get into the meat of it.

I heard about Fable II through a friend in 9th grade, but since I did not have a 360 at the time, I instead got Fable I for my original Xbox. Played it, and loved it. It was among one of the first few games I actually beat and enjoyed. I loved the simplistic RPG elements, the customization, and everything about the game was pretty good fun.

A year went by, and I got Assassin's Creed plus an Xbox 360. Soon, I purchased Fable II. Though Fable II did improve over some of the weaker elements in Fable I, it also managed to disappoint me in other areas. Nevertheless, I spent so many hours on this game - my entire 10th grade life was wasted on this game.

Finally, Fable III released. Need I say more? After a month of bitter diasppointment, I traded this game in for Red Dead Redemption (and loved it, it was an awesome alternative to the Fable series).

Anyway, all I want to say is that Fable could be "so much better". Now I also know that no single game is perfect (except Red Dead Redemption), but Fable was the BARE MINIMUM of everything it tried to achieve.

The game is rated M. So why did you have to play pat-a-cake with everyone? What's so funny about flatulating in people's faces? Why burp in an RPG? Why the wacky zacky dialogue and characters? Why the entirely irrelevant side-quests and missions?

To me, Fable has the right idea, a good concept, and overall has a good enough goal... but why do they scrape the surface of a potentially good game? Maybe it's just me, but I think if Fable just kept the good parts of the past games in the actual game, it may be slightly improved. Also if they took all the stupid stuff out (side-quests, dialogue, and characters just seemed childish, WAY TO CHILDISH), and made boss battles like in Fable I - we'd have a good game.

This game is rated M, not E. Fable needs to remove the sexual content and suggestive language from these games, and just rate it E, because that is exactly what it feels like to me.

I just hate this game with a passion, but for some reason I just love this game so freakin' move - it's just so fun, albeit disappointing.

Also I think I like Taylor Swift.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
I agree that it had potential - and that's why people keep playing it. It's never reached it's full potential. In fact, it seems to get further away from what it could be with each new game. People love the idea of what it's trying to be and keep buying out of hope that the new one will be the Fable that's good. When it's not they'll gripe and moan about the $60 USD that they wasted, cursing Peter Molyneux and his baldness. Two years will go by, a new Fable will be announced, and it's never "OH! I REMEMBER THESE GAMES! FORGET THIS, I KNOW I'LL JUST BE DISAPPOINTED AGAIN!" rather it's "Hmmm... maybe this time."

It's actually quite a phenomenon. I don't know any series of movies, games, or otherwise that have been successful because of this. It's like Lionhead had a great concept and they're plan to maximize profit is to keep getting it wrong.

White

Reaction score
The best thing to do with games is to borrow a copy of a friend or rent it out before purchase just to see what exactly you're investing in. It's because of doing those things that I discovered amazing titles like Fable TLC, The Halo series, Super Smash Brothers, Age of Empires... The list could go on for ever.

This may be difficult if you're one of those gamers' who has to pre-order games just so that you can get them the day before release date but It's important to remember that waiting prevents being butthurt when things don't go as planned.

I waited 6 months before I even touched Fable 3, I'd check up on it every month or so watching the odd let's play video and reading the odd review and in doing this I avoided the mass amount of glitches that were in the game upon release as they have now (for the most part) been patched.

Also the series has never increased in childishness. Maybe with age you've just come to look at it differently. As a younger teen or maybe even child (I have no idea how old you are) you may of giggled at the ridiculousness of fable TLC but as you've aged you might have just matured out of laughing at those things.

Personally I didn't really pay much attention to the sex scenes or the emotes, although they were mildly amusing I cared about the story, the game mechanics and the sense of adventure you got from playing the games.

Do you remember playing the first Fable and being told that Jack of Blades had your mother and your sister? I was on the edge of my seat at that point, only to be forced to watched my mother being murdered. After having killed the bad guy who'd done this I had to decide whether I wanted to kill my sister or not. That was shear genius, the game made me genuinely care about this fabled sword but also made me care about my sister who has been helping me. There were also many other things about Fable 1 that I loved but that had to be one of the best endings to a game that I've ever seen.

At the end of Fable 2 I didn't even kill the bad guy on my first play-through Reaver did and although the game had so many positive things that wasone of the most underwhelming endings ever, It pretty much ruined the whole game for me.

I'm not even going to start talking about what I didn't like about Fable 3 because the list would go on far too long.

Molyneux kept talking about the emotional side to the game and how you get to have families and shizz but he's forgotten how to get people to care. Letting the player hold hands with an NPC Isn't going to do that. And allowing them to have families Isn't either because what role does your family play? They take gold away from you and they require you to visit them every hour FFS. Why on earth do I want to see this pixelated money grabber of a wife?

My post has turned into a massive rant, my apologies.
I completely understand why the series had died for you, It's died for me as well as a lot of others as well.

White

Reaction score
The Spice Girls.

Let's be honest though, they were never good to start of with.
Listening to the spice girls is a bit like being stabbed in the ear.
Excruciatingly painful.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Yeah, they were a great big steaming pile of excrement.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
The Spice Girls.

Let's be honest though, they were never good to start of with.
Listening to the spice girls is a bit like being stabbed in the ear.
Excruciatingly painful.

Yeah, they were a great big steaming pile of excrement.

bert.gif

Dhnqt.png

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
If you wanna be my lover
You gotta get with my friends
Love wont last forever
Friendship never ends

Or something like that.

Devil Keyz

Tha Producer From Hell
Reaction score
If you wanna be my lover
You gotta get with my friends
Love wont last forever
Friendship never ends

Or something like that.

don't lie you know how it goes hehehe ^-^

IMesh

99% Toxin Free!
Reaction score
I believe there is about 200 threads on this topic, though I can only agree with half of them.
I do think that the morality system is no longer about what the player thinks, but more so what everyone else does.
Back in Fable I, as you pointed out, they had the entire "family being murdered which you grew up with from the start" system going.

Fable 2, The "your parents are never with you and your only relative gets killed a the start of the game" system.

Fable 3, The "Everyone in the entire world is going to die if you don't happen to be a millionaire because you wouldn't be able to pay for troops that would most likely want to survive the battle anyway as they would end up dying otherwise but that dosen't matter because they want to be paid for their work anyway as they might survive" system.

Then there is the entire Enemy system.

Fable 1, Everything = Awesome.

Fable 2, Everything = - % of awesome.

Fable 3, Everything = ... Black?

Clothing Systems.

Fable 1, Choice of what to wear with weaknesses and different damage thresholds.

Fable 2, Choice of what you want to look like in battle with no difference between armour and no clothing. Ability to Dye items, Wow!

Fable 3, Fable 2 - Enough said.

Menu System.

Fable 1, Would you like to pick this up and be able to use it later as you will need it. Who couldn't use an extra health potion? It never hurts to have a spare Ebony Bow.

Fable 2, Would you like to pick up a varying amount of different items, half of which you won't ever actually need. Who would want an apple with a worm in it? Especially so, one that causes you to lose health?

Fable 3, We don't think you like menus, Here's a wardrobe, and the incredible ability to hold One Type Of Food And Drink! Who wouldn't want to eat a pie, drink some wine, then backtrack for 10 minutes? The incredible ability to save a costume, :w00t:

There's a horde of other things I could rant on, but this post is pretty big, so I'll just leave it at that.

Like, Why Fable Have No Cows?

White

Reaction score
I can understand that It's difficult to make a menu for an RPG like Fable but the Fable 3 menu was irritating at times. They made it lengthy and under-complex. It's like they've made everything so simple that they just ended up spoon feeding information to you like you're a child.

Lionhead must of looked at the statistics of Fable 2 and viewed how many people used the dye's and shizz and less than 15% of all players ended up customizing their character; as alien as that sounds, It's true. I can't imagine Fable 2 without character customization but it seems that majority of players simply didn't care, majority of morons players seemed to just play the main story from start to end and then chuck their game to the side to gather dust without reading all the books you pick up throughout the game and unlocking all of the demon doors and all the rest. Lionhead acknowledged this and came out with Fable 3 which treats you like a child.

As frustrating as it is, I can understand why they made Fable 3 hold your hand all the way through, It's because that's what the market want at the moment. It would take a retarded monkey dizzy of coke to get stuck on that game, it was ridiculously easy. It seems that all people want in a game now days is something that has a lot of explosions with minimal effort, which is why things like COD exist. What happened to try an then try again, a lot of people these days seem to have the attitude of "try, get bored, then play something else" and that's exactly what game developers fear.

I miss the days when games were really difficult, remember trying to complete Megaman or the first Legend of Zelda? Try playing those without dieing, they were difficult games alright. Classics.

IMesh

99% Toxin Free!
Reaction score
Yea, all of the classic rules of gaming are pretty much gone now. It all started with COD and I'm guessing that's where it's going to end.
What was the last time they came out with a "You Will Die!" kind of game?
Closest I can even think of is Dead Space 2 if you crank the difficulty up to HardCore.

DoomsDayUnicorn

I eat Glitter. What do you eat?
Reaction score
I had been a Huge fable fan since the beginning. the first one is my all time favorite game. i spent more time playing it than i had The elder scrolls IV: Oblivion. Fable 2 brought in some aspects I liked but took many that I liked away. and the ending was shameful. and out of all the things the "Great hero king" did, why couldnt he take the time to rebuild the hero's guild or something? dont get me started on fable 3. No neutral choices. storyline was for ****. it was more frustrating then fun. It took away some of the open-worldness that fable 2 had. I sometimes refuse to believe that this was a fable game. the body models where all the same. the female hero body model wasnt realistic at all, had no hips, and they took out everything I loved about the fist one. utter garbage. :mad: