• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Fable TLC Error (0x80040241)

Sikktwizted

Reaction score
What's going on everyone? I hate to make accounts just to post on a forum for support with something, but I'm rather desperate as far as getting this game to work, so I'm posting this thread on a bunch of sites related to Fable TLC to see if anyone can give me a working fix. I've been trying to fix this issue since Friday and generally I'm good at getting games to work, but a legitimate fix for this game is eluding me. If anyone could reply and help me out I would be extremely happy!

This post is copied from my thread at Tech Guy. forums.techguy .org/games/1084923-fable-tlc-error-0x80040241.html#post8581283

"Alright so I searched all over the internet for an answer to this and I'm generally pretty good at finding things but the answer to this problem has eluded me. My problem is that whenever I start the game, the beginning intro video skips and I get the error "Unable to play video. Please check that your video and audio hardware are working correctly. Error Code: 0x80040241". Any further non-graphic generated videos in the game (.wmv) skip as well without an error message. You can view the image below for the error screen.

postimage .org/image/5f3olt8lz/

Does anyone know how to fix this? The game runs fine (despite a sound problem which I will describe below in a second) other than this.

Now as for the sound problem, the sound seems to glitch out a lot and I won't be able to hear the background stuff very often. One example I have is where the bandits break in to oakvale in the beginning of the game. In the graphic video a guy gets shot with an arrow and one of the bandits exclaims "Got one!". The sound from the arrow hitting the guy can't be heard, and I'm sure there was music at this part as well last time I played. Does anyone know what the problem here could be?

I dislike asking others for help because I like to fix problems myself but I looked hard and couldn't find any conclusive information on what to do to fix this problem."

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
What are your system specs? Have you installed the latest drivers for your video & sound card? Also have you tried playing with the video options sliders in the menu?

Sikktwizted

Reaction score
System Specs
Radeon HD 6870
FX-4170 4.2 GHz Quad Core
8 Gigs DDR3 Ram @ 1600 MHz

I'm relatively sure I have the newest video and sound card drivers, and I don't think playing with the sliders would do anything. It's not a problem with the game itself, it's the .WMV videos that error.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
System Specs
Radeon HD 6870
FX-4170 4.2 GHz Quad Core
8 Gigs DDR3 Ram @ 1600 MHz

I'm relatively sure I have the newest video and sound card drivers, and I don't think playing with the sliders would do anything. It's not a problem with the game itself, it's the .WMV videos that error.

Some people who have had the same issue reported that the refresh rates were conflicting with some of the shaders/resolutions & display settings & causing crashes/blank screens or sound issues so just thought it was an idea. Check your driver version against the latest just in case.

I had a similar issue with Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic but only on the intro video. I reinstalled & updated all my drivers & worked fine after that, sometimes its a particular file that is causing the issue so ive also had to download that particular file from elsewhere & copy it over the original before too.

What version of Windows are you using? After XP TLC did have issues running on newer versions of Windows & there was a Vista Update that came out, unsure if it would help with Windows 7 etc though.

Sikktwizted

Reaction score
I've actually managed to fix the problem. I installed a codec pack and it works properly now, was rather surprising :eek:.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I've actually managed to fix the problem. I installed a codec pack and it works properly now, was rather surprising :O.

Ah yeah there was a sticky thread about that here too was it the K-Lite one by any chance? If so it also fixed another common problem people were having.