• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Featured Game Weekly #10

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
unled1f.jpg

Every week i will post a 'Featured Game' in a new thread and sticky it. Could be one people have suggested to me doing over the course of the week, one of my most recently played games, an old favourite or a game i purchased and maybe didnt like.

I will post the details of the game and sometimes DLC and regardless of whether you have played it or not people can post what they liked in the game/ or liked the look of in the game and what they didnt like or thought could have been improved or what put them off the game if they didnt purchase it.
Then over the course of the week people can voice their opinions (in an adult manner and respecting others opinions) might help some gamers try some games they thought they wouldnt enjoy or change some opinions.
Thanks to Azer249 for this weeks suggestion.

Following is a brief description of my thoughts...
borderlands2c.jpg

Platforms
PC, Xbox 360 & PS3
Release Date
PS3 / 360
NA October 20, 2009​
PAL October 23, 2009​
JP February 10, 2010​
PC
NA October 26, 2009​
PAL October 30, 2009​
Average Metacritic Score
360 - 84/100
PS3 - 83/100
PC -81/100
A game that begs to be played with friends and as a co-op experience as while playing alone i couldnt see what the big deal was and why people were praising it so much. An obscene amount of weapons, ammo types, elemental effects and areas as well as various enemies and veichles. A great blend of RPG/FPS action and the loot and customisation of your average dungeon crawler. A must for FPS fans that are after more customisation and unlockable abilities as well as a solid drop in/out co-op mode.
Pros
  • Huge variety of weapons and other loot
  • Co-op is a blast and many hours of missions to do
  • Some decent customisation options
  • Good incentives to progress and level up
  • Good variety of enemies and enemy behaviour
  • Full of frenzied action and shooting mayhem
  • Some good 'boss' moments
  • Better loot and more powerful enemies in co-op which is a nice balance
  • Stronger enemies and better loot also in 2nd playthrough which gives you an extra incentive to replay
  • The humour in the game is well done
  • Great art style
  • Interface overall is good (besides some menus)
Cons
  • With the huge amount of weapons and stats for each weapon and upgrade sometimes there is very little difference between them. So you can be overloaded with 20 of the same type of weapon with merely +1 stat difference.
  • Menus can seem a little cluttered
  • Framerate can suffer in large firefights
  • Loot sharing system could have been better
  • Ending wasnt great
Now for this week people can voice their opinions on the game and any DLC you have played as ive only purchased 1 and not played that enough yet to give a verdict. I will do another game next week...
Can post your own Pros and Cons or if you havent played it things that appealed to you/didnt appeal and why you didnt play it...

Any questions about the thread or suggestions for next weeks featured game send me a message.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Still to this day I have never played this game before, but I still get begged to get it. I'm not big on multiplayer shooters, so I'm unsure if I want to or not.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Still to this day I have never played this game before, but I still get begged to get it. I'm not big on multiplayer shooters, so I'm unsure if I want to or not.

The co-op is a blast and yeah its a shooter but it has lots of RPG systems and levelling up and loot finding.

Azer249

Reaction score
Not like i asked you to get it the other day or anything ;)

Anyways yeh ive been playing it a lot recently, love it. All of the expansions are amazing and unlike most dlc's these days you acctualy get a lot for your money.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Not like i asked you to get it the other day or anything ;)

Anyways yeh ive been playing it a lot recently, love it. All of the expansions are amazing and unlike most dlc's these days you acctualy get a lot for your money.

Which have you played? They do seem to have a decent amount of content for the price, though only played one personally.

Azer249

Reaction score
Which have you played? They do seem to have a decent amount of content for the price, though only played one personally.
Played all of them, however the one i didnt realy care for is mad moxxi, was terrible, so boring :p

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Played all of them, however the one i didnt realy care for is mad moxxi, was terrible, so boring :p

Any particular favourite out of them all or like them all for different reasons?

Azer249

Reaction score
Any particular favourite out of them all or like them all for different reasons?
Zombie island had very very good humour and quite a funny storyline, Moxxie was meh, Armoury of general knox adds a new weapon teir a boosts your level to 59?, and claptrap then boots it to 69 but you have to have had knox or it will be 59(i think) overall ide say claptrap and knoxx are the best, good humour and a great story and gameplay.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Zombie island had very very good humour and quite a funny storyline, Moxxie was meh, Armoury of general knox adds a new weapon teir a boosts your level to 59?, and claptrap then boots it to 69 but you have to have had knox or it will be 59(i think) overall ide say claptrap and knoxx are the best, good humour and a great story and gameplay.

Anything you would have liked the game to improve on for the sequel?

Dentie

Reaction score
I liked the game very much. thats all :p

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I liked the game very much. thats all :p

Care to elaborate? These threads are for people to voice their opinions on what they liked/ would change or improve or didnt like. What would make you recommend it to others?

Dentie

Reaction score
Care to elaborate? These threads are for people to voice their opinions on what they liked/ would change or improve or didnt like. What would make you recommend it to others?

I am thinking of things now :p It's a long time ago I played and i really like I just got to remember it a little bit more and maybe gotta play it a little bit again.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I am thinking of things now :p It's a long time ago I played and i really like I just got to remember it a little bit more and maybe gotta play it a little bit again.

Anything thats been detailed above?

Azer249

Reaction score
Anything you would have liked the game to improve on for the sequel?
Not realy, overall ive found the game amazing for what it is. It has very good humour and some amazing bosses, it could have had a better ending thought... and more than one skill for each class ie, phasewalk.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Not realy, overall ive found the game amazing for what it is. It has very good humour and some amazing bosses, it could have had a better ending thought... and more than one skill for each class ie, phasewalk.

Yeah i guess some variation in skill classes would have been nice.

Azer249

Reaction score
Yeah i guess some variation in skill classes would have been nice.
I mean i did like all of the skill tree abilities it just would have been a bit nicer to have something you can see or do more, like special moves etc.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
it was fun and interesting for a while, but overall the game copped-out by giving it no real story and claiming to be "sandbox". a true sandbox game, such as Elder Scrolls, manages to give near everything a degree of wonder and depth no matter by what means you stumbled into it. borderlands made everything a pop culture reference and gave you a long list of MMO-style quests that somehow lead to the only part of the story they bothered to explain at length.

tl;dr if you haven't got a few friends to play with, it's a borrific game. any fun or color comes from co-op.

Dentie

Reaction score
Ok I just played it a little bit again and heres my list.
+++++++
The graphics are awesome. I really like the cartoony style and the damage displayed when you hit someone its really nicely done.

The looting was done very nice to with some nice special weapons in it and all that stuff.

I really like the quests in the game that were really varried from doing an arena fight to putting up lanterns to spawn a giant air boss.

The co-op was really nice and you could battle with the people you co-op with too wich was pretty fun.

- - - - - - -
The ending was a little meh.

I sometimes had problims with being stuck somewhere and had to reload a previous save game wich annoyed the crap out of me.

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
it was fun and interesting for a while, but overall the game copped-out by giving it no real story and claiming to be "sandbox". a true sandbox game, such as Elder Scrolls, manages to give near everything a degree of wonder and depth no matter by what means you stumbled into it. borderlands made everything a pop culture reference and gave you a long list of MMO-style quests that somehow lead to the only part of the story they bothered to explain at length.

tl;dr if you haven't got a few friends to play with, it's a borrific game. any fun or color comes from co-op.

Your standards were set too high if you were expecting it to be anything like TES. It's not that kind of game. Also, how exactly did it cop out? The game is 90% gameplay driven and only gave you story to offer the game direction.

The humor in Borderlands in some of the best I've heard in video games (excluding Robot Revolution, which was an insult to Borderlands). I got so many hours out of this game and enjoyed it immensely. I definitely recommend it.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Your standards were set too high if you were expecting it to be anything like TES. It's not that kind of game. Also, how exactly did it cop out? The game is 90% gameplay driven and only gave you story to offer the game direction.

The humor in Borderlands in some of the best I've heard in video games (excluding Robot Revolution, which was an insult to Borderlands). I got so many hours out of this game and enjoyed it immensely. I definitely recommend it.
i cited elder scrolls as a game that does sandbox gameplay well, not as a game i expected it to hold a candle to. i don't know about you, but i was anticipating borderlands since it was in game informer in 2007. it had none of the humor, had realistic graphics, and promised a lot more in terms of exploration.

it copped out because rather than a plot it supplied the humor. it's not that i disliked the games vibe, i just disliked that it replaced any story with said vibe and all of a sudden you find the vault at the very end.