• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Featured Game Weekly #12 The Darkness II

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Been some time since the last one so after a 7 month absence ive decided to revive the Featured Game Weekly threads.
unled1f.jpg
Every week I will post a 'Featured Game' in a new thread and sticky it. Could be one people have suggested to me doing over the course of the week, one of my most recently played games, an old favourite or a game i purchased and maybe didnt like.

I will post the details of the game and sometimes DLC and regardless of whether you have played it or not people can post what they liked in the game/ or liked the look of in the game and what they didnt like or thought could have been improved or what put them off the game if they didnt purchase it.
Then over the course of the week people can voice their opinions (in an adult manner and respecting others opinions) might help some gamers try some games they thought they wouldnt enjoy or change some opinions.
Following is a brief description of my thoughts...
wallpapers-of-the-darkness-ii.jpg
I was waiting for this title for a long time and soon as it was announced and Starbreeze Studios were no longer developing it my joy soon turned to concern. I was a big fan of the much overlooked original and I was concerned that a sequel by another studio would be rushed out without much thought. I was even more concerned when I saw the new cell shaded GFX style had replaced Starbreeze's original dark, gritty and realistic look. However all my concerns were quickly thrown aside when I got my hands on the demo (which convinced me to purchase the full game).
After the slow intro scene which im also a fan of (Chronicles of Riddick intro comes to mind) all hell breaks loose and you forget all about the new GFX style and new voice actor of Jackie. I was worried that the new cell-shaded style wouldnt capture the same dark and violent feel of the original but straight away I was proved wrong... very very wrong as the sequel is much more violent and bloody than the original. Soon as you get your hands on enough dark essence (from eating hearts and violent kills) you start to upgrade your skills and access new execution moves and then the limbs really start to fly. So any concerns about the combat, violence and voice acting were soon put to rest, soon as you hear Mike Pattons voice return as The Darkness you feel familiar with the game.
So moving onto my other concerns and thinking that maybe the story wouldnt match up to the originals but for the most part it does and in some parts I genuinely thought Digital Extremes did a fantastic job with some gutsy writing and by taking some risks. The game moves at a fast but measured pace and I enjoyed it from start to finish, a little on the short side but they did manage to incorporate 4 player co-op (which im yet to try) which will add to the over longevity of the game. Also with a New Game+ option which a lot of games these days dont have, so you can start the game again with all your skills unlocked still.
Pros
  • Great, violent and bloody combat
  • Quad wielding weapons and demon arms is a breeze
  • Story is well written and well paced
  • Unlocks and skill trees are a good addition
  • New Game+ mode is also a welcome addition
  • 4 Player co-op mode
  • Player is given a handful of choices which I werent expecting
Cons
  • Predictable enemy AI
  • Short Campaign
  • Linear Level Design
  • Not a lot of execution animations so you find they start to get old pretty fast
Now for this week people can voice their opinions on the game...
Can post your own Pros and Cons or if you havent played it things that appealed to you/didnt appeal and why you didnt play it...

Any questions about the thread or suggestions for next weeks featured game send me a message.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Here some trailers to get a taste for those that havent played it too

Can also still comment and voice your opinions on any of the previous Featured Games too.
Any suggestions for future ones send me a message.
Meanwhile, here is the location guide for anyone who wants to find all the relics in the game.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Checked it out some more after seeing this thread and watched a couple reviews. I'm tempted.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Checked it out some more after seeing this thread and watched a couple reviews. I'm tempted.

Im glad my thread has been of some use, anything you want to know about it that you havent seen in the reviews? These threads are meant to be for the purpose of people voicing their opinions on the games and answering questions people who are interested may have.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Im glad my thread has been of some use, anything you want to know about it that you havent seen in the reviews? These threads are meant to be for the purpose of people voicing their opinions on the games and answering questions people who are interested may have.

Well, actually, and I know this sounds like a dumbass question - but would you recommend I play the first game before it? Is it necessary?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Well, actually, and I know this sounds like a dumbass question - but would you recommend I play the first game before it? Is it necessary?

To fully appreciate some of the details of the back story with Jenny (Jackie's girlfriend) and the emotions involved maybe but the actual main quest is stand alone and all explained in The Darkness II. It does give you the option to watch a video at the start of the game explaining the events of the original but not the same as witnessing it first hand as some rather emotional scenes in the first.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
To fully appreciate some of the details of the back story with Jenny (Jackie's girlfriend) and the emotions involved maybe but the actual main quest is stand alone and all explained in The Darkness II. It does give you the option to watch a video at the start of the game explaining the events of the original but not the same as witnessing it first hand as some rather emotional scenes in the first.

Aye, well I'd probably rather experience it all myself then first. So, yeah I'll probably look into the first game before I purchase the sequel.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Aye, well I'd probably rather experience it all myself then first. So, yeah I'll probably look into the first game before I purchase the sequel.

Can get it for really cheap these days, will seem odd playing the 2nd so closely to the first as they look and play very different but both are great games. The first is more story focused and have more freedom whereas the 2nd has much better combat but a tighter more action paced story and it ups the violence a notch.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Can get it for really cheap these days, will seem odd playing the 2nd so closely to the first as they look and play very different but both are great games. The first is more story focused and have more freedom whereas the 2nd has much better combat but a tighter more action paced story and it ups the violence a notch.

Heh, from what I can tell, it sounds like I'd enjoy the first a lot more. I love story-focused games. And freedom is definitely a plus. Though saying that, it doesn't mean I won't enjoy the sequel.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Heh, from what I can tell, it sounds like I'd enjoy the first a lot more. I love story-focused games. And freedom is definitely a plus. Though saying that, it doesn't mean I won't enjoy the sequel.

They both mix it up quite well, its just the 2nd seems to be heavily combat and violence focused and is like the first on steroids in that aspect. Story is brilliant in both of them I have to say but more emotional parts in the original and pace of the game is slower.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
They both mix it up quite well, its just the 2nd seems to be heavily combat and violence focused and is like the first on steroids in that aspect. Story is brilliant in both of them I have to say but more emotional parts in the original and pace of the game is slower.

Well, nothing wrong with violence. :lol:

But aye, differences aside, I'll definitely try to check them both out. I'm adequately intrigued.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
No-one has an opinion on the game then?
I do, but I only played the demo and I won't be able to get the game as soon as I had hoped (what with the TV, ME3 etc). Wanted to wait until I played the full version to form a more proper opinion, but I can make do with my demo experience. :lol:

Demo Pros:
- RPG elements that provide character development.
- Voice acting.
- Solid gameplay.
- Story (so far) & Visuals.

Demo Cons:
- Simpleton enemy AI.
- The little things that were omitted from the original.

I loved the demo, and as you said, soon as Mike Patton's voice-over kicks in for the appearance of The Darkness, I soon feel right at home again. The gameplay was very solid for me, but the AI... ehh.. they were surprisingly void in the head. I stood around reloading my gun and one of the thugs was just standing there with his gun pointed at me.. waiting for me to reload my gun. THEN he started shooting at me, got me disappointed because I was on the normal difficulty. I was hoping it was just a glitch, but it continued happening again and again, so.

I really like that they added these ability trees, I don't know why, but I just love developing a character through branching paths and unlocking new possibilities. I was sad to find out they removed the little things that together added up to provide a special experience that the original was able to provide. It may sound silly to others, but I loved watching TV shows in The Darkness, I loved making phone calls on the phone and people going apeshit on the line because Jackie wouldn't say anything to them. It's the little things and the little things add up.

I won't be able to get the game right now, but I am for a fact getting it as soon as I can when I get these other obstacles out of the way, because the demo left a very good impression on me.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Well, nothing wrong with violence. :lol:

But aye, differences aside, I'll definitely try to check them both out. I'm adequately intrigued.

The original was criminally overlooked at the time and although it was highly regarded by critics and reviewers its sales werent huge. Much like The Chronicles of Riddick series which was superb too and overlooked too. The Darkness II seems to have had more PR behind it and is already more well known but both Starbreeze and Digital Extremes deserve huge credit for the games.

I loved the demo, and as you said, soon as Mike Patton's voice-over kicks in for the appearance of The Darkness, I soon feel right at home again. The gameplay was very solid for me, but the AI... ehh.. they were surprisingly void in the head. I stood around reloading my gun and one of the thugs was just standing there with his gun pointed at me.. waiting for me to reload my gun. THEN he started shooting at me, got me disappointed because I was on the normal difficulty. I was hoping it was just a glitch, but it continued happening again and again, so.

That part is more like an interactive cutscene, the AI isnt the smartest in the game but that section is merely an on the rails section (as your being dragged) and the AI isnt always like that.

I really like that they added these ability trees, I don't know why, but I just love developing a character through branching paths and unlocking new possibilities. I was sad to find out they removed the little things that together added up to provide a special experience that the original was able to provide. It may sound silly to others, but I loved watching TV shows in The Darkness, I loved making phone calls on the phone and people going apeshit on the line because Jackie wouldn't say anything to them. It's the little things and the little things add up.

Yeah those little things I missed too as they were like nothing id seen in a game for some time. The ability tree is a much welcome addition though as the RPG aspects gave you a reason to go for the extra essence kills.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
The original was criminally overlooked at the time and although it was highly regarded by critics and reviewers its sales werent huge. Much like The Chronicles of Riddick series which was superb too and overlooked too. The Darkness II seems to have had more PR behind it and is already more well known but both Starbreeze and Digital Extremes deserve huge credit for the games.

I hate it when good games are unfairly overlooked.

Honestly, at the time, I never looked. Saw a television advert at the time and didn't take much notice. But from what I can tell from your opinion it's something I should finally check out. And granted that it's significantly less expensive now, it shouldn't hurt my budget too much.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I hate it when good games are unfairly overlooked.

Honestly, at the time, I never looked. Saw a television advert at the time and didn't take much notice. But from what I can tell from your opinion it's something I should finally check out. And granted that it's significantly less expensive now, it shouldn't hurt my budget too much.

Was a real shame that games that were recycled every year such CoD sold record breaking amounts yet again but games that tried something new and different were overlooked. I made sure I purchased both The Darkness & Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and then the remake of Chronicles of Riddick with the expansion Assault on Dark Athena and The Darkness II.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Was a real shame that games that were recycled every year such CoD sold record breaking amounts yet again but games that tried something new and different were overlooked. I made sure I purchased both The Darkness & Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and then the remake of Chronicles of Riddick with the expansion Assault on Dark Athena and The Darkness II.

Well that mostly why I pay no attention to CoD games. I played one of my brother's, Modern Warfare 2 I think. I enjoyed it sure, it was fun, but it's the same game everytime, released every year.

I enjoy diversity.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Well that mostly why I pay no attention to CoD games. I played one of my brother's, Modern Warfare 2 I think. I enjoyed it sure, it was fun, but it's the same game everytime, released every year.

I enjoy diversity.

Ive got a couple as presents for Christmas but just feel like updated versions of the same game every year, was expected for the first couple of years but to still be doing that all these years later and selling in those numbers is crazy. I like to mix it up too with shooters, RPG's and RTS games and always looking for new games in each genre (and other genres of course if I like look of the game), hence my thread earlier.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Ive got a couple as presents for Christmas but just feel like updated versions of the same game every year, was expected for the first couple of years but to still be doing that all these years later and selling in those numbers is crazy. I like to mix it up too with shooters, RPG's and RTS games and always looking for new games in each genre (and other genres of course if I like look of the game), hence my thread earlier.

Aye, well they get away with it by adding the newest little feature. So people become convinced every time that the next one will be better. When really it's just the same damn game. Similar with Dynasty Warriors. If you've never played them they're a great hack and slash game, but game after game you're given the same product and it becomes a little bland.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Aye, well they get away with it by adding the newest little feature. So people become convinced every time that the next one will be better. When really it's just the same damn game. Similar with Dynasty Warriors. If you've never played them they're a great hack and slash game, but game after game you're given the same product and it becomes a little bland.

Amazing how in some games so little can change between games and others (like The Darkness II) so much can change.

The Darkness

0000000144-L-81f0581.jpg

darkness_ss2.jpg

9C418B13D4BBDBE9A57F3E8541E5F.jpg

the-darkness-20070223111814021_640w.jpg

The Darkness II

The-Darkness-II-Executions-4.jpg

The-Darkness-2-thumb.jpg

88365740.jpg

thedarkness2_art2.jpg

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
That part is more like an interactive cutscene, the AI isnt the smartest in the game but that section is merely an on the rails section (as your being dragged) and the AI isnt always like that.

Well yeah, that part I figured. But I was referring to the gameplay beyond that in a few areas, whether that was a matter of it being tweaked for tutorial purpose, glitch, or just needing to crank up the difficulty setting.. I dunno. If it's much better in the full product then that's good to me.