• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Featured Game Weekly #13 Deus Ex Human Revolution

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
For anyone not familiar with these threads see my others here. Basically I want peoples opinions on the games in these threads and what you liked/didnt like in them.
unled1f.jpg
This weeks game is: Deus Ex Human Revolution and a brief description of my thoughts...
deus-ex-human-revolution-release.jpg
I had high hopes for this game after the original was voted one of the best PC games ever made (I was to young to appreciate it fully at the time). However I was not disappointed and this title ended up as one of my favourite games of the last few years never mind of the year. The graphics were the first thing that caught my eye and the overall style with the gold and black trims everywhere, its a very stylish look that works and looks crisp and sharp.
The main thing you notice first is the sheer amount of choice in your hands, you can choose to be stealthy, talk your way in or go in guns blazing in most situations and it never feels you are pushed to do one or the other. The stealth aspects really work and every first person game should have a 3rd person cover option like the one used in this. Shooting feels powerful as do the tools at your disposal with cloaking skills, abilities to break walls down and hacking skills all coming into play.
The game never holds your hand but gives you all the tools you need and the choices to upgrade skills according to your playstyle and leaves you to find the best routes that suit you. Overall I thought the FPS elements and the combat was brilliant and it seamlessly blended with the RPG elements of the game too.
Average Metacritic Score
Xbox 360 -89/100
PS3 - 89/100
PC - 90/100
Pros
  • Varied ways to accomplish missions
  • Great story
  • Voice acting and sound effects are superb
  • 35-4o hours of potential play with good replay value
  • Good unlock and skill system
  • 1st person blends well with the 3rd person elements
  • Execution kills never get old
  • Hacking mini game gets addictive
  • Decent amount of side quests and some are rather interesting
Cons
  • Poor boss fights that force you to finish them a certain way
Now for this week people can voice their opinions on the game...
Can post your own Pros and Cons or if you havent played it things that appealed to you/didnt appeal and why you didnt play it...

Any questions about the thread or suggestions for next weeks featured game send me a message.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Really enjoyed this game a lot and definitely took me by surprise as I likely would have missed it had you not recommended it to me. Eventually I shall finish it if I can manage to get my damn hands away from Skyrim (seriously, you don't know how bad I have it with this game).

I really didn't like the boss fights in this, there was no necessary reason to have them in there other than what felt like a cheap attempt to add "challenge" and to diversify the gameplay a bit. Problem is, they went about it the wrong way and you have to resort to silly run & gun gameplay with predictable AI patterns to land damage. The devs would have done themselves a much better deal had they done research of Metal Gear Solid 4's boss battles (some of the greatest boss fights, ever. Period.) if adding these battles was really that necessary.

Loved the soundtrack of this game which was a nice blend of ambient & dark ambient which meshed well with the overall cyberpunk atmosphere and art-style of the game. No complaints with the combat, stealth was beyond addictive and it felt great being able to plan out a proper strategy while using the environments to your advantage. There is no one way to reach your destination, though I always chose stealth personally. My only gripe with the AI is that when they start searching for you, they only go so far.. if you're hiding in a duct and they see you.. they don't even make the effort to crawl in after you and then eventually they give up and resume patrol like nothing happened.

The story I found to be really good actually and the voice acting is indeed enjoyable, but you of course get the odd background character who lacks some effort. I still haven't finished, so I'm missing out on the rest of the story at the moment (but I'm near the end), just happen to be stuck at yet another terrible boss battle. I saw a lot of people complaining about the game's inventory system, but I have to admit I actually like it.. it provides balance as you can't go around as a human tank and have to make sacrifices then plan your next moves accordingly. I didn't mind it in Resident Evil 4, why would I mind it now?

The search for information via conversations, computer hacking, etc. never gets old. The hacking mini-games are simple yet enjoyable without being tedious in an attempt for realism. I really dig the character upgrades and the fact they can make a difference in the gameplay and your difficulty in progress. With one of my favorite upgrades being one that lets you read a person's emotions to help aid you in nabbing extra information.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Really enjoyed this game a lot and definitely took me by surprise as I likely would have missed it had you not recommended it to me. Eventually I shall finish it if I can manage to get my damn hands away from Skyrim (seriously, you don't know how bad I have it with this game).

I really didn't like the boss fights in this, there was no necessary reason to have them in there other than what felt like a cheap attempt to add "challenge" and to diversify the gameplay a bit. Problem is, they went about it the wrong way and you have to resort to silly run & gun gameplay with predictable AI patterns to land damage. The devs would have done themselves a much better deal had they done research of Metal Gear Solid 4's boss battles (some of the greatest boss fights, ever. Period.) if adding these battles was really that necessary.

Loved the soundtrack of this game which was a nice blend of ambient & dark ambient which meshed well with the overall cyberpunk atmosphere and art-style of the game. No complaints with the combat, stealth was beyond addictive and it felt great being able to plan out a proper strategy while using the environments to your advantage. There is no one way to reach your destination, though I always chose stealth personally. My only gripe with the AI is that when they start searching for you, they only go so far.. if you're hiding in a duct and they see you.. they don't even make the effort to crawl in after you and then eventually they give up and resume patrol like nothing happened.

The story I found to be really good actually and the voice acting is indeed enjoyable, but you of course get the odd background character who lacks some effort. I still haven't finished, so I'm missing out on the rest of the story at the moment (but I'm near the end), just happen to be stuck at yet another terrible boss battle. I saw a lot of people complaining about the game's inventory system, but I have to admit I actually like it.. it provides balance as you can't go around as a human tank and have to make sacrifices then plan your next moves accordingly. I didn't mind it in Resident Evil 4, why would I mind it now?

The search for information via conversations, computer hacking, etc. never gets old. The hacking mini-games are simple yet enjoyable without being tedious in an attempt for realism. I really dig the character upgrades and the fact they can make a difference in the gameplay and your difficulty in progress. With one of my favorite upgrades being one that lets you read a person's emotions to help aid you in nabbing extra information.

Skyrim has ruined my experiences with so many games and is the main reason I havent finished around 7 of my games yet. The boss battles were designed by a different team than the rest of the game and they stick out like a sore thumb. I dont think they will be sourcing themselves out like that again after this became the main gripe with the game. I liked the inventory system and your main help in the boss battles is the typhoon system, I didnt get this upgrade first of all and had some real trouble with the bosses. I started again and it was one of the first upgrades I purchased and the battles were a breeze after it.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Skyrim has ruined my experiences with so many games and is the main reason I havent finished around 7 of my games yet. The boss battles were designed by a different team than the rest of the game and they stick out like a sore thumb. I dont think they will be sourcing themselves out like that again after this became the main gripe with the game. I liked the inventory system and your main help in the boss battles is the typhoon system, I didnt get this upgrade first of all and had some real trouble with the bosses. I started again and it was one of the first upgrades I purchased and the battles were a breeze after it.

Oh was it? Never knew it was designed by a different team, well.. that explains all of that then. If they make a Dues Ex 4, hopefully they'll have learned from this mistake. Never bothered with the Typhoon system cause it just didn't seem necessary against the common enemy, so I always avoided it and went for something I knew I would get the most use out of. I'll have to make note of this when I manage to finally get back into it, thanks.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Oh was it? Never knew it was designed by a different team, well.. that explains all of that then. If they make a Dues Ex 4, hopefully they'll have learned from this mistake. Never bothered with the Typhoon system cause it just didn't seem necessary against the common enemy, so I always avoided it and went for something I knew I would get the most use out of. I'll have to make note of this when I manage to finally get back into it, thanks.

Yeah they were outsourced to a company called G.R.I.P. apparently (explained here).

Quote:
It’s perhaps of note that the president of the company explains that he wasn’t familiar with Deus Ex. Because he’s “a shooter guy”. Which seems an odd explanation for apparently never having heard of the series’ reputation – something that seems impossible from within development.

If anything becomes clear as you watch, it’s just how disjointed the process was, and boy did it show.

The Typhoon system is really handy when you upgrade it to maximum and it annihilates enemies with ease.