• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Featured Game Weekly #2

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
unled1f.jpg
Every week i will post a 'Featured Game' in a new thread and sticky it. Could be one people have suggested to me doing over the course of the week, one of my most recently played games, an old favourite or a game i purchased and maybe didnt like.

I will post the details of the game and sometimes DLC and regardless of whether you have played it or not people can post what they liked in the game/ or liked the look of in the game and what they didnt like or thought could have been improved or what put them off the game if they didnt purchase it. Then over the course of the week people can voice their opinions (in an adult manner and respecting others opinions) might help some gamers try some games they thought they wouldnt enjoy or change some opinions.

Following is a brief description of my thoughts...

This Weeks Game Thanks To A Suggestion By Dentie Is...
fallout3_logo.jpg
Platform - Xbox 360/PC/PS3
Release Date -
NA October 28, 2008
EU October 30, 2008
AUS October 30, 2008
UK October 31, 2008
JP December 4, 2008
Average Metacritic Score -
360 - 93/100
PS3 -90/100
PC - 91/100
A huge game and also a game i was a huge fan of. Not knowing much about the Fallout series beforehand or playing any of the previous games i instantly enjoyed this game and played it for hundreds of hours before i put it down. Interesting characters, missions and story with so much crammed into one game its a gem for RPG and shooter fans alike.
Pros
  • Open World
  • Varied Missions
  • Interesting Characters
  • V.A.T.S system never gets old
  • Lots of player choices
  • Encourages exploration
  • Blowing limbs off is a blast
  • Varied enemies
  • Modding community on PC is fantastic
Cons
  • Buggy and occasional crash (was patched many times)
  • 3rd person is again clunky and sluggish
  • Engine shows its age
  • Without DLC you cant play after the ending
  • Enemy AI isnt great
  • World isnt very eye-catching but as its a wasteland i suppose its not meant to be.
Now for this week people can voice their opinions on the game and i will do another next week... Pros and Cons you found or if you havent played it things that appealed to you or things that put you off it...

Any questions about the thread or suggestions for next weeks featured game send me a message.

Dentie

Reaction score
Fallout 3 :D one of the games i have enjoyed the most in the past 10 years i think with the exception of Fable TLC.

The story missions arent that special but the side missions are the most fun. The leveling system with the perks was nicely done too. I didnt know at first that it was the same as in oblivion but i never played that game till last year :p.

You are right about the glitches and crashes I've had to start over my game sometimes because my save files kept crashing for some weird reason. Or i would get stuck between some rocks and had to start a save file wich i saved an hour ago. And the 3rd person view sucked very hard, the way you would walk in it just looked really weird but it's ok I only played it in 1st person view.

Overall i would give ths game a 9.5/10.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Fallout 3 :D one of the games i have enjoyed the most in the past 10 years i think with the exception of Fable TLC.

The story missions arent that special but the side missions are the most fun. The leveling system with the perks was nicely done too. I didnt know at first that it was the same as in oblivion but i never played that game till last year :p.

You are right about the glitches and crashes I've had to start over my game sometimes because my save files kept crashing for some weird reason. Or i would get stuck between some rocks and had to start a save file wich i saved an hour ago. And the 3rd person view sucked very hard, the way you would walk in it just looked really weird but it's ok I only played it in 1st person view.

Overall i would give ths game a 9.5/10.

Bethesda havent managed to get the 3rd person working right in Fallout or Elder Scrolls series. They say they have vastly improved it for Skyrim so i hope thats the case, though i never use it and prefer 1st person it would be good to at least have the option and it work.

I too got stuck on terrain and had to reload saves and such and was a real pain, thankfully i didnt have any major problems and didnt lose any save files or anything like i did with Oblivion.

The single player is quite short in comparision to the rest of the game and i was disappointed you couldnt continue after the ending until the later announced DLC. It is a game that was created for the sidequests though and they are quite varied and lots of fun.

James Butts

A Damn Fool
Reaction score
I love this game! It and fable tlc were the best 2 rpg's and in the top five favorite games of all time in my opinion. I don't like the original fallouts, because of the point click movement, the turn based combat, and the stupid travel map thing outside the cities and key areas. but this game is amazing with the large areas and creature diversity.

Skotekal

Sheeple President
Premium
Reaction score
Loved the game. But being a PC player for this game, the "tcl" command works wonders when you get stuck. But a game where i hit the quicksave key at least 50 times an hour.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Loved the game. But being a PC player for this game, the "tcl" command works wonders when you get stuck. But a game where i hit the quicksave key at least 50 times an hour.

I had 4 save slots and backed up my saves all the time on 360 too as if we got stuck we were screwed. After losing progress on PC version of Oblivion after a patch corrupted my save i wasnt going to take the chance with console version of this.

Some of the mods ive seen for the PC version are superb, i shall see if Scott will post his favourite ones in here for other PC players to check out.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
bethesda are gods among men in terms of creating a game universe. okay, they didn't create it really, but they re-booted it and improved it.

Fallout and Oblivion remain the only games i have ever recommended getting a strategy guide for as an employee at game stop. the game worlds are giant, rich, and there is literally hundreds of hours of work to do if you want to do everything. so much relies on discovery, which is why you literally could fill a book with everything without seeming like a merchandising prick. i dislike that fallout seems less freeroaming than oblivion, but its a minor gripe....both blow competition out of the water.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
bethesda are gods among men in terms of creating a game universe. okay, they didn't create it really, but they re-booted it and improved it.

Fallout and Oblivion remain the only games i have ever recommended getting a strategy guide for as an employee at game stop. the game worlds are giant, rich, and there is literally hundreds of hours of work to do if you want to do everything. so much relies on discovery, which is why you literally could fill a book with everything without seeming like a merchandising prick. i dislike that fallout seems less freeroaming than oblivion, but its a minor gripe....both blow competition out of the water.

It seems less freeroaming but i wouldnt say that it is as such as your often left free to wander on your own accord. Often to your demise as i found out at the start of the game when i unwittingly wandered into Death Claw territory only to be ripped to sheds in seconds. :lol:

Oblivion and KoTOR are the only games ive used strategy guides for so id agree there, i used the Internet for some help in Fallout instead as i was short of cash. Think Skyrim might be the only game i might break my habit from of no longer buying Strategy guides for.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
I still need to try Fallout...but I have no money.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Slight delay in the Featured Game Weekly update but i shall have a new one up later on. Anyone has any suggestions for which game to do then message me, if i dont recieve any suggestions then i shall think of one myself.

Dentie

Reaction score
We want it nao!