• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Featured Game Weekly #7

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
unled1f.jpg

Every week i will post a 'Featured Game' in a new thread and sticky it. Could be one people have suggested to me doing over the course of the week, one of my most recently played games, an old favourite or a game i purchased and maybe didnt like.

I will post the details of the game and sometimes DLC and regardless of whether you have played it or not people can post what they liked in the game/or liked the look of in the game and what they didnt like or thought could have been improved or what put them off the game if they didnt purchase it.
Then over the course of the week people can voice their opinions (in an adult manner and respecting others opinions) might help some gamers try some games they thought they wouldnt enjoy or change some opinions.

Following is a brief description of my thoughts...
Using another of Necromancer11's suggestions today...
screedmovie.jpg
Platform - Xbox 360/PS3/PC
Release Date - PlayStation 3, Xbox 360:​
NA November 14, 2007​
EU November 14, 2007​
AUS November 21, 2007​
PC
NA April 8, 2008​
AUS April 10/11, 2008​
EU April 10, 2008​
Average Metacritic Score -
360 - 81/100
PS3 -81/100
PC - 79/100
When first released i thought it was brilliant, a new type of game with a fantastic sense of style, a great engine under the hood and really sleek animations and movements. The way Altair moved so smoothly and the climbing animations as well as crowd interactions was a joy to see especially in a new IP. However after a while of playing the game repetition started to set in and that dampened the experience a lot. The story was great, some great writing and characters but the overall gameplay and playability was effected by the dull side missions and repetitive actions required before each assassination. The assassinations themselves were really well done sequences however.
Pros
  • Cities were gorgeous and the structures you scaled were breathtaking
  • Easy controls and movements flowed together brilliantly
  • Great mix of action sequences with stealth and full on combat sequences
  • Personally really enjoyed the sword fighting though it was a little too easy when you gained the counter move.
  • Hidden blade was a great idea
  • Altair is a good character that you will come to like
Cons
  • That repetition gets really tedious, doing the same pickpocket, eavesdropping and intimidation sequences over and over to gain information about your target
  • Not enough variety in enemies or weapons
  • Combat was too easy
  • Minor glitches with certain terrain when trying to do executions
  • An ending that needed to be watched numerous times to understand properly
Now for this week people can voice their opinions on the game and any of the DLC they have played and i will do another game next week... Pros and Cons you found or if you havent played it things that appealed to you or things that put you off it...

Any questions about the thread or suggestions for next weeks featured game send me a message.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
1) I agree with most points - pros and cons.
2) Even though there were some negative points, I had a great experience playing the game: Loved it.

• An ending that needed to be watched numerous times to understand properly

3) I do not agree with this point :p. I thought it was all pretty clear =|...

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
3) I do not agree with this point :p. I thought it was all pretty clear =|...

Maybe the main points they tried to make were but did you read the article CVG had to write called 'Assassins Creed The Ending Explained'? There is no way in hell people who played the game once would have took all that information that could have been taken from it in right away and all the story details they included in there without looking it up. The story wasnt exactly really well explained and every game since as sort of gave people a WTF ending.

I remember having a conversation with some friends in the pub and some friends at work about the ending and then speculating on certain things we saw at the end. Every one of us picked up on something different or missed something someone else saw or simply didnt know what some symbols, names, dates etc for example meant at the end on the floor and walls or how significant some parts might be in future games. Some people i know played the game to death and got 100% on it and then i sent them the link to that article and they were still surprised by all the little details in there that they had no idea about.

One of those games thats really hard to summarise into a plot that makes sense for anyone who asks you whats going on at certain parts. You find that after 5mins they merely start looking at you blankly...

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Maybe the main points they tried to make were but did you read the article CVG had to write called 'Assassins Creed The Ending Explained'? There is no way in hell people who played the game once would have took all that information that could have been taken from it in right away and all the story details they included in there without looking it up. The story wasnt exactly really well explained and every game since as sort of gave people a WTF ending.

I remember having a conversation with some friends in the pub and some friends at work about the ending and then speculating on certain things we saw at the end. Every one of us picked up on something different or missed something someone else saw or simply didnt know what some symbols, names, dates etc for example meant at the end on the floor and walls or how significant some parts might be in future games. Some people i know played the game to death and got 100% on it and then i sent them the link to that article and they were still surprised by all the little details in there that they had no idea about.

One of those games thats really hard to summarise into a plot that makes sense for anyone who asks you whats going on at certain parts. You find that after 5mins they merely start looking at you blankly...
Ah right, that part of the ending. Yeah, I didn't understand all of it either. But if it were up to me, I'd put it in the 'pros' section, rather than 'cons'. Those unsolved mysteries... They're supposed not to be understood right away. The speculation that they cause is part of the experience. At least, that's how I feel it... :p

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Ah right, that part of the ending. Yeah, I didn't understand all of it either. But if it were up to me, I'd put it in the 'pros' section, rather than 'cons'. Those unsolved mysteries... They're supposed not to be understood right away. The speculation that they cause is part of the experience. At least, that's how I feel it... :p

Yeah i appreciate that it leaves an aura of mystery but when your left wondering WTF about 3/4 of the overall ending it doesnt help the understanding of where they were going with it and the overall conclusion was ultimately unsatisfying because of that. The same reason some episodes of the tv show Lost were criticised as they posed more questions than they answered or concluded. If they manage to tie up and use most the things they have teased and show us it was all part of an overall plot and they knew what they were doing all along and it all comes together in the end then it will be pure brilliance.

Until then however im sceptical as it was likely used merely as a way to get fans talking and speculating ideas and adding hype. Good marketing strategy but needs some substance to it also to complete the idea.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
if it were up to me, I'd put it in the 'pros' section, rather than 'cons'.

I was going to say the same thing. Complex and intricate storylines that make you notice new things every time you go through them are always a treat, and the story of the entire Assassin's Creed series is the epitome of that. As I've said in the past, it's the best story I've ever seen out of any movie, TV show, video game, etc.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing. Complex and intricate storylines that make you notice new things every time you go through them are always a treat, and the story of the entire Assassin's Creed series is the epitome of that. As I've said in the past, it's the best story I've ever seen out of any movie, TV show, video game, etc.

It wasnt the story that i thought needed better explanation as such just some of the parts included in there having more substance and not merely feeling like teasers that we will never see anything come from.