1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Of Thrones

Discussion in 'Bowerstone South Tavern' started by Dark Drakan, May 14, 2011.

Register or log in to browse without ads.

1. Dark Drakan

Dark Drakan Administrator Staff Member Guildmaster Legendary Hero

Trophies:
    So what did everyone think now that Season 2 has finished? I thought it was another superb season and the Blackwater episode was one of the best in the series so far. The ending of the finale was jawdropping I loved it (ive never read the books so its all new to me) and cant wait for Season 3, ive got withdrawls already!

2. queenofdisco

queenofdisco Ludna Legendary Hero

Trophies:
    I loved it, I just don't know what I'm gonna do with my life for an entire year now. :(

3. MissAlbion89

MissAlbion89 Hero Of Albion

Trophies:
    I am SO excited for Season 3! Game of Thrones is probably my favourite show on TV right now, I can't wait to get my hands on the books :).

4. Register or log in to browse without ads.

5. Dark Drakan

Trophies:
    It was the thing I looked forward to the most at the weekend and now its gone so I know what you mean.

I own the first book now (girlfriend purchased it for herself) but im going to steal it when I have the time to read it.

Spoiler for last episode of series (highlight): The White Walkers were just chilling (no pun intended), im used to seeing zombies as they are everywhere at the moment but they were different. Organised and not simply mindless drones they had leaders and were awesome looking.Cant wait to see them in battle and the seige of the wall.

6. cheezMcNASTY

cheezMcNASTY Edible in some countries Legendary Hero

Trophies:
    I'd been avoiding this thread until I could sit down and finish the second season myself. Can't wait for the third season. It's bound to be superb.

They did a fantastic job adapting the book to TV, but there were a few differences in the second season that caught my eye and make me wonder how the plot will be able to continue. They may have some minor spoilers.

SPOILERS
    1. In the book, Theon Greyjoy is not betrayed by his own men. He enlists the help of the bastard of one of the more scheming northern lords. The bastard returns with an army, breaks the siege, kills Sir Rodrick (who's leading the attack rather than being beheaded by Theon), then takes the city himself. The bastard takes Theon to be his prisoner. Now, the lord who fathered the bastard, Roose Bolton, hasn't been in the show at all. In fact, he was supposed to come into contact with Arya Stark in Harenhal but never did.

2. When Jon Snow kills Qorin at the end of the second book, he was given orders to blend in with the wildlings and march south so he could rejoin the Night's Watch and warn them of the approaching army. I guess it's implied in his last words, but not as much to go on as far as the viewer is concerned.

7. Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Trophies:

They've explained that the reason there are quite a few divergences from the book is because they simply can't have characters just waiting to become important, so they've changed a few things so they can fit into 10 episodes for the second season and then be more faithful to the books in the third, where they will introduce characters who were mean to be introduced in the second season.

And Roose Bolton is featured in the show, in the scenes involving Robb Stark at his camp.

Dark Drakan likes this.
  8. Gikoku

Gikoku is doing Queen. Staff Member

Trophies:
    Finale was excellent, yeah.

I hate cliffhangers, especially good ones.. they make the wait even more torturous. So much so, that I'm tempted to start getting into the books so I can finally find out what happens next, but I don't want to spoil the show for me. .. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
    Spoilers: Is it just me who thought they looked exactly like Draugrs from Skyrim? Especially that leader on the horse, right down to the big glowing blue eyes. But yeah, their rather intelligent uniformity was pretty cool, means this show will be unlikely to turn into a medieval zombie apocalypse... I hope.

Felt really bad for Tyrion though, and I have to admit.. I actually thought he was going to die. Of course that sad little bugger Joffrey reigns supreme once again, but it shows how much a fine actor he is to become so easily detestable. The one thing I'm concerned about is that it doesn't take like 5 or 7 seasons for the dragons to become flying behemoths instead of the pipsqueaks they are now.

9. Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Trophies:
    Spoilers:

Over the five books, the white walkers and wights are barely seen, so don't worry about it turning into a zombie apocalypse. The most they appear is in book 3, and even then we learn very little.

Gikoku likes this.
  10. cheezMcNASTY

Trophies:
    Can I just say that I'm really enjoying watching Braun in the show. That actor is doing a superb job of showing what he's all about. I hope to see much and more of him in future seasons.

The dragons' growth in the books is actually very suited to television. They tend to do most of their growing between books. My guess is that the third season will start and they will just be a bit bigger; remaining that size for the duration of the season. Not full-sized but more like a horses size, if you will. There's a small timeskip for Daenarys between now and then, but not much. Enough time for some dragon puberty, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It only takes them (estimating) 3-4 years or so to become big enough, so I'm sure they'll be giant when the time comes to conquer.

Gikoku likes this.
  11. MissAlbion89

MissAlbion89 Hero Of Albion

Trophies:
    Favourite characers/houses anyone? My favourite characters have to be Dany and Tyrion, probably Targaryen for house :).

12. cheezMcNASTY

Trophies:
    Favorite character is probably Tyrion, Arya, and/or Braun.

Favorite house is, dare I say it, Lannister. Yeah, Cersei is horrible, but Tywin and Jaime have some very redeeming qualities down the road. Tyrion is a given. As a whole, I'd say the overall good qualities of the house are only trumped by the Starks, but the Starks are less interesting.

I'd definitely rather be a member of the Starks, but from a reader/watcher's standpoint is the Lannisters all the way.

13. Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Trophies:
    Favourite character is probably Jaime, Jon, or Tyrion.

Favourite House is Stark.

Really, I always thought they were the most unpleasant house in westeros by far.

14. Gikoku

Trophies:
    Favorite characters would have to be Varys, Tryion, and Brienne Tarth with an honorable mention of Khal Drogo.

Favorite house is the house of Targaryen, what can I say, I'm a sucker for dragons. But I find their history rather fascinating as well, how the Gods are said to flip a coin every time a Targaryen is born.. one offspring driven by madness and the other by greatness. A once proud and dominant house that controlled it all yet is now reduced to traveling commoners who only carry weight in name. Struggling to claw back to the top to reclaim dominance with the help of some.. special friends of course. I like that.

How come?

Ditto to that, having played such a major role (and though relieved of duties) in Season 2 I can't see them just dropping off his character suddenly. There has to be more of him, I hope.
    Sweet, that's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks man.

15. Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Trophies:
    Well they've comitted incest for 300 years, a lot of their kings have been cruel, corrupt or mad. Considering how Joffrey is considered the worst character as he's an inbred as well as cruel, the Targaryens are even worse then that considering that they've done that for far longer, and some of their house have been cruel as well. I also don't like dany for this reason, considering how she acts a bit like Viserys in that she claims the throne is hers by right.

Spoiler:
    It's why I prefer Aegon. He knows that ruling is his duty and responsibility, not a birthright where he can just take over and do what he wants.

16. Gikoku

Trophies:
    A fair argument, though I'm not offended by incest so that part of their history doesn't bother me. I can't stand Joffrey for his mentality and the things he does just because he can, not because he's an inbred.

The tyrant rulings aren't surprising however given the times, upbringing, and lifestyle, however Dany hasn't been nearly as bad.. and I wouldn't go as far to say Viserys bad either. But I agree it can get pretty bothersome because what has she done to deserve being a ruler? Aside from her house name and the ability to control dragons and be immune to fire, I would agree she's done little to deserve to be a ruler... but then again, when you have such things, you don't have to deserve it. You can just take it. But I'd rather it not come to that.

I'd rather for her to eventually prove herself deserving instead by her own merits, not because of some name.

17. Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Trophies:
    She's not as cruel as Viserys, thats true, but can you see the similarities when she goes on about being the 'blood of the dragon' and how the iron throne is hers by right. I just can't stand that sort of attitude, considering its the same attitude that Cersei has (In 'Blackwater' she tells Tommen a story which is basically saying that a Lion (Lannisters) has the right to rule). In Book 5, we get a view of her from other people's perspectives, and we see that she is a lot more unpleasant than we see in her chapters.

18. cheezMcNASTY

Trophies:
    I would still say, though, that she wants to be a good ruler to her people. She's constantly challenged on that front from the third book onward. That trait alone makes her the best candidate. I think her naive feeling of self-entitlement to the throne will go away as she continues to grow and develop. I think that by the time she sets off to Westeros she'll understand that her birthright doesn't matter nearly as much as her ability to conquer. Despite that, I don't see her desire to be a good queen going away any time soon. If anything, she only comes off the way you described because she is slower to trust people she does not know.

Best candidate for the throne in my opinion, but she has a lot to learn before she'll be ready to take it by force.

Gikoku likes this.
  19. Dark Drakan

Trophies:
    Yeah thats right they said that the seasons wont follow the books totally in order and some elements from earlier books may have to crossover into other seasons. Yeah Roose has appeared:

[​IMG]

I like Tyrion because hes a great character with some truly epic lines, Jaime because of his cocky attitude and skills with a sword, Daenerys because she is the mother of Dragons, Bronn because hes funny and also has some great lines. All of them are really watchable and some fantastic acting.

Melisandre intrigues me as does Jaqen H'ghar and quite like Brienne of Tarth too and honourable mention for Khal Drogo of course as Scott said (so many good characters). Its hard to pick a favourite house at the moment to be honest.

20. Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Trophies:
    We see her ability to conquer, she does it to the slave cities (Book 3). But she destroys an entire regions economy, and condemns a city to anarchy and civil war after leaving it in the process of conquering, and in the 5th book she brushes off a marriage alliance with Dorne because the potential husband isn't good looking enough. This is one of the houses that wants the Targaryens back, and she's just said 'NO' because for very superificial reason. From what I see, she can conquer, but she can't rule very well.

21. cheezMcNASTY

Trophies:
    May want to spoiler tag that :P
    You're right, we have seen her do it.

SPOILER
    The point is that she's learning how to do both of these things as she continues her conquest of the free cities. She's continuously learning war tactics and how to handle a conquered city responsibly.