• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Games That Have Stood the Test of Time.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Just saw some Wii's going for some really good prices right now, unfortunately I'm a bit low on the cash so it'll have to wait a while. But that Project M definitely has me interested enough to set getting a Wii more of a priority. Thanks man.

I've always wanted to see Smash with Mortal Combatesque fatalities.

Kirby ripping Pickahu's spine out!

If only.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Grandia 2

This looks super interesting. So far I haven't come across a battle system worthy of Chrono Cross so I'll check it out.

Now... as for a game that has stood the test of time. I mean, Chrono Cross is still an excellent game and I would definitely play it once again. However, since I'm the kind of player who has troubles even finishing new games, I can't say there is any game I would play years to no end.

Still, there are some games that certainly haven't lost their charm, even though they most likely can't offer anything new gameplay-wise - mostly because I have played them so much. Off the top of my head:

Digimon World 1. Doesn't matter if you were a Digimon kid or Pokemon kid; or any other kid, this game is one brilliant attempt at a proper monster "management" game. The leveling (=training) system was simple and straightforward and at the same time very powerful and interesting. The same thing about evolution. No levels, no stupid XP, no set path, just you shaping your digimon as you play. The story - it was ok, I guess. The graphics - beautiful. The sound - admittedly, can get a bit annoying at points. I'm still hoping they remake this game with added content. True, the battle itself wasn't that good, especially at the start of the game when you have less Brain stat and techniques (learn Ice Statue or Megalo Spark and you win the game), but the excitement of waiting for the screen to freeze and your digimon evolving - worth it.

Heroes of Might & Magic: 4/5: TotE - never too old for a quick Hot Seat with a friend. The campaign - better in H4; kinda bad in H5, but worth playing if you simply want to get some overpowered endgame heroes. Now where these games really come to their own is multiplayer. H5: TotE is still, after all these years, largely uncharted territory when it comes to possible hero builds and strategies. It has a very good skill system, easily the best in the series. The graphics - I like it, but certainly not for everyone, since it's kind of cartoony. When it comes to music, Heroes has always shined and H5 doesn't fall behind its predecessors.

World of Warcraft.
If only you played Lineage 2.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Digimon World 1. Doesn't matter if you were a Digimon kid or Pokemon kid; or any other kid, this game is one brilliant attempt at a proper monster "management" game. The leveling (=training) system was simple and straightforward and at the same time very powerful and interesting. The same thing about evolution. No levels, no stupid XP, no set path, just you shaping your digimon as you play. The story - it was ok, I guess. The graphics - beautiful. The sound - admittedly, can get a bit annoying at points. I'm still hoping they remake this game with added content. True, the battle itself wasn't that good, especially at the start of the game when you have less Brain stat and techniques (learn Ice Statue or Megalo Spark and you win the game), but the excitement of waiting for the screen to freeze and your digimon evolving - worth it.

Had some pretty good times with that little game, didn't much care for the sequel to be honest (aside from the battle system, there wasn't much to love). I thought the sound was pretty good, well.. the soundtrack that is, which is mostly what I still remember from 12 years ago. Kinda wish I didn't sell it a decade ago as I would love to pop it in right now and relive some good ol' nostalgia, but it's become a rarity and like all rarities it equals big money.. Seeing new copies running around at $100-240, seriously?

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Had some pretty good times with that little game, didn't much care for the sequel to be honest (aside from the battle system, there wasn't much to love). I thought the sound was pretty good, well.. the soundtrack that is, which is mostly what I still remember from 12 years ago. Kinda wish I didn't sell it a decade ago as I would love to pop it in right now and relive some good ol' nostalgia, but it's become a rarity and like all rarities it equals big money.. Seeing new copies running around at $100-240, seriously?
The sound itself wasn't bad, I just mean it can become repetitive eventually, but not to the point of frustration. The sequel sure had a better battle system - for one I'm a turn based battle fan and the D1 battle wasn't any good anyway. Talking about sequels, Digimon World 3 wasn't that bad, but it was grind all the same (and random encounters, I hate those).

And what? $100-240? Holy s***. Good we made like a hundred copies of my friend's disk way back.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Doublepost, but a must for this list.

Seven Kingdoms.A true RTS gem that sadly got lost between all the other names on its year of release (1997). The graphics are still good to look at and in my opinion far better than its sequel (which is considered a very good one, but I didn't like it much).
The game's obvious drawbacks are its lack of different units and perhaps upgrades/research options which are usual in any RTS, but fear not, even in its apparent simpleness, Seven Kingdoms is deeply strategical game. Naturally the main focus in the game is diplomacy, which in its core has a good design, but the lack of a really advanced AI can make it a bit hectic at points - for example, a newly spawned kingdom with only 60 villagers declaring war on the biggest power on the map (me). It's nothing drastic however and doesn't get in the way of enjoying the game, it jsut feels a bit random.

Another thing I like about 7K is that it doesn't follow a linear, how should I say it, "victory path". The leading nation at the start of the game can have a nasty downfall by getting an alliance turned against it. At the same time, the little struggling one could have a quick rise to power. Mostly this is tied to good economy, something not readily available to anyone. At this point you are forced to trade or fight monsters to keep your nation going. I think a lot about 7K's charm comes from the fact that you're not only fighting others, but also for your own nation's integrity.

Seven Kingdoms has certainly stood the test of time simply because there is no other (apart from the sequel, which recommend the same). It is a nice RTS-nation building hybrid that anyone of the (former) genre should take a look at just to get a feeling of a wargame with a twist.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score
Final Fantasy VII
Yes, yes people complain it's overrated and for sissy little fanboys but I love it. I can go back to it and complete it over and over again without getting bored. Graphics, combat, inventory system and dialogue is all out-dated but it was a huge part of my childhood and is still a part of my life to this day. Nothing beats stepping into the Gold Saucer for the first time in a save and hearing this:

Red Dead Redemption
Not an old game, but I think Rockstar nailed this game. It has no flaws at all, I can go on record and say it is a perfect game. It was the first time I ever felt sad emotion in a videogame and it was horrible but incredible. To make a fantastic western cowboy game is difficult but fair play to Rockstar, they did fantastically well with it.

Fallout 3
Already been mentioned by Queen but holy dick nipples what an awesome game. Bethesda sure do know how to make a universe exciting, fun and enjoyable. I've spent hundreds of hours on this game and I don't plan to stop just yet.

Crash Bandicoot: WARPED and Spyro: Gateway to Glimmer
This is more nostalgia than anything else. They raped my childhood. RAPED IT. I can go back and play every level and collect everything just to get the satisfying memories, I loved it then and I love it now. Actually.. In the PS1 they go. Right now.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Pacman, House of the dead series, Sid Meier's Pirates and the sims.

Probably more but can't think of em right now.

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
Its soccer with a Mario twist. Further more, a slightly adult twist at that.​
Like any Mario sport game game you're not going to get a vanilla match between 2 characters, there are going to be bombs and green shells shooting around, field elements and special moves. Body checking people in to electric fences and hearing their blood curdling scream is just funny as hell (especially when its the princess head first in a slow-mo re-play)​
I always forget i have this game but when i pop it in to my Wii i end up playing it for a good 2-3 hours at a time.​
I rented the first one for the Gamecube way back when and fell in love with it. When no.2 came out for the Wii it was a must have for me.​
In the next installment for the Wii U (fingers crossed) i think they should take a more super smash bros. approach to the character roster, just start including all of Nintendo's character and even some 3rd party's too.​
The music is Metal and the all the characters have a very mean/very serious attitude throughout the game. I suggest turning up the volume for this badass intro:​

ScareCrowReturn

The Token Schizo
Premium
Reaction score
Fable, of course! Just amazing, every now and then ill play it and i'll always try and make my character that little bit different from the next one.. Just love the design, characters, storyline and the humour to it.

Team buddies! (Play station) Suuuuch an awesome game! You deffinetly have to play it, great game to grab 4 mates, and just have a laugh. Basic graphics, basic everything really, but such a simple idea is so awesome. And the humour is hillarious, little guys swearing and ****, its great.

Another old school all time favourite, Mario Party. OHMYGOSH, geratest game evvver, for the Nintendo 64. Get 4 mates, grab some beers and play a good olde board game on the nintendo, similar to Fuzion frenzy, but still better. Classic..

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score

So we have a classic side scrolling beat 'em up game reminiscent of such classics like River City Random and Golden Axe but with a pinch of RPG (even though RCR did have some RPG elements to it also)​
Ive been visiting Newgorunds.com since 2000 so when i heard the founder of said site was teaming up with a popular flash cartoonist it peaked my interest. Took me a while to convert to the dark side though, i downloaded the demo about 2-3 weeks after the game came out - then bought the game 'bout a week later.

This game got me hooked when i first played it. Collecting all the weapons and animal orbs was fun, like a treasure hunt.​
The music is just so dam sweet, From the thieves forest, the shop and blacksmiths and even the roof top volley ball match.
I just started to play it again since the first time i got it (on a new HD tv that i didnt have 4 years ago) and the art work is so clean, bright, sharp and even thought the knights are chibi, they still look badass​
My first character i used was green knight (my buddy was red) got him to lvl 48 i think. Now on second play through i am the Blacksmith/purple knight (buddy is the pink knight lol)​

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Lemmings! I barely remembered what this game was, had no idea what it was called. Somebody (possibly my older brother) downloaded it when I was somewhere in the 5-10 years range and we played it obsessively. I just found it and have been obsessively playing it for the past four hours.

So either it stood up to the test of time or I'm nostalgic. The one problem is that it's somewhat glitchy in the version I just found.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I loved the original Lemmings - I used to go to my friend's house to play it on her Acorn computer and we'd play until it was about 3am...her parents never minded which I thought was weird considering her dad was my middle school teacher and all...

I think The Sims is something I've yet to be bored of - the original one, of course. I type in my favourite cheats and just mess about with it for hours.

And although it's not horrendously old - Crash Bandicoot. I still love that game and can remember the Super Password just by the rhythm of pressing the buttons in the right order. Couldn't write it down or tell you what it is - I have to be holding the controller in my hand and then my fingers just recall for me.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
After the Restoration Mod was released fixing over 1000 bugs and issues and fixing the ending ive started to play KOTOR II again and loving it currently. Such a large RPG for its time and severely overlooked for the time.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
I guess you mean the PC version, but my sister STILL plays the Xbox versions. Only games she really plays aside from ME.

Stands up real well.

EDIT: Also, Angel, I have no idea if the one I played was original or not. I think it was circa about 1997.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I guess you mean the PC version, but my sister STILL plays the Xbox versions. Only games she really plays aside from ME.

Stands up real well.

EDIT: Also, Angel, I have no idea if the one I played was original or not. I think it was circa about 1997.

Yeah I was referring to the PC version, the mod team spent years creating this mod that actually gives the game proper endings and fixes so many issues. Played it for around 7 hours today without realising....

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
I still play Dungeon Keeper 2, up to this day. It was the game that mad me a Peter Molyneux fan, and later on, a Lionhead fan.