• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Games That Have Stood the Test of Time.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
And by that, I mean has there been a game (or games) you've played from the past and still remains fun to this day when you return to it once in awhile and can play lengthy sessions without getting bored to death? A game that doesn't get weighed down from being so outdated thus consequently taking the fun out of it. If you have, then what makes it so good for you?

Also, please put some actual effort into your posts (i.e. no lazy 1-2 sentence posts). Cause I'm genuinely interested to see what other oldies but goodies may be out there and what you guys like about it that has made it last so long for you.

Off the top of my head a game that comes to mind would be Grandia 2 for the Sega Dreamcast. An absolute gem of an RPG that was unfortunately overlooked due to its platform, timing, and looks. The battle system is by far the most addictive I've experienced in a JRPG to this day, and you can imagine how good it is when you see Square-Enix shamelessly copying it in Final Fantasy X-2 & evolved in 13.

Fully 3D towns and environments, the funky music, challenging battles, the story w/ voice acted characters, and the little attention to details made it easy for me to adore this game for a long time. It's easy to pick up and play and doesn't require you to have a lot of JRPG experience to get into, making it a breeze to pick up after yearly gaps of not playing it.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Fallout 3 is a game I can go back to time and time again. It's not an old game of course, but it is one of my most favourite games. It would be silly to say that every time I play Fallout 3 it feels different, because it doesn't. Sure, I can play it differently, but it's still the same. That said, I still enjoy it every time. I love Fallout 3, and truth be told, there's things in it I still haven't done yet, which is surprising, considering the fact that I've played the game to death for the past couple years.

Another game - and an old one this time - is Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. This game is the very definition of timeless. Hilarious. Anyway, I've loved this game for over a decade now, and through the years I've repeatedly replayed this game. It defined the Zelda series, it defined my childhood and it defined my gaming hobby beginnings. It's teh sex. Plus the game makes me happy, what more could you ask for?

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
World of Warcraft.

Love it or hate it, it is one of the largest MMORPG behemoths on the market and there is no stopping it. It has been going on for 8 years and has released four expansion packs. For a MMORPG, this is huge. I don't play it (but like everyone else on the planet, I did at one point) and I don't really see what the big deal is in the face of other MMORPGs. Perhaps the market sucked more back when it was released to make it stand out. Nonetheless it is like The Beatles; whether or not you loved or hated them you can but pay respect to their greatness.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I don't play it (but like everyone else on the planet, I did at one point) and I don't really see what the big deal is in the face of other MMORPGs.

This is the opposite of what I meant.. If you don't play it and probably never will enjoy it again, then how has it stood the test of time for you? A game you loved and still come back to yet manages to still be a great game for you after so many years, is what I'm getting at.

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
please put some actual effort into your posts (i.e. no lazy 1-2 sentence posts).
* LOUD SIGH*

...But that takes effort

View attachment 579 View attachment 580
Ok what can really be said about them? Save the princess. Also bring back the cape power up Nintendo.
The music from SMW is the the best. Also when people metion the Mario theme the first thing i think of is world 1-1 from SML cus that was the first Mario game i ever played.
Collecting all the yoshis in SMW was a huge task to under take when i was like 9; and still is. My score for SMW on the GBA is 999999990. Like a boss.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
Huh? Okay then.
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

Baldur%27s_Gate_II_-_Shadows_of_Amn_Coverart.png

The greatest adaptation of the Dungeons & Dragons rules ever on the PC. I very much prefer the old school DnD rules as opposed to the more modern 3.5 edition which we have in games such as Neverwinter Nights. This game is huge, my original edition came on 8 friggin' CDs, 9 if you count the expansion Throne of Bhaal. The locations, the story, the characters... everything is just perfect. It is one of the greatest stories ever told in a game. The gameplay, as I said, is the best rendition of DnD you'll find. Replay value is extremely high for me because of the nostalgic factor, but also because there are tons of character classes (each which two specialization classes to pick from) and many different outcomes for quests and even the main story depending on your choices. Timeless classic.

Only problem is that like most older PC games, they don't really age well on the technical side. Trying to get it to run on XP is a PITA, and Windows 7? Forget about it. It also only has like 800x600 resolution and doesn't support windowed mode so it looks horrible on any modern-sized screen.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 (plus expansion) and Settlers 2 are 2 titles I still play to this day as well as Knights Of The Old Republic.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 (plus expansion) and Settlers 2 are 2 titles I still play to this day as well as Knights Of The Old Republic.
Also, please put some actual effort into your posts (i.e. no lazy 1-2 sentence posts). Cause I'm genuinely interested to see what other oldies but goodies may be out there and what you guys like about it that has made it last so long for you.

why.jpg

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Sorry bro im posting on phone currently and was going to elaborate when I managed to get to my computer.

EDIT* On laptop now just for you...

Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 was one of the best in the entire series, one of the most balanced in the series and the AI was aggressive but beatable. The Skirmish mode was the best as you could customise it a lot and the gameplay was still old school as well as the campaign being one of the best. Also a great LAN title and one of the easiest to pick up and play. Yuri's Revenge Expansion was probably the best in the series and Yuri's army added some great new units and ways to use your opponents numbers against them with mind control. Strategy gamers dream of a game and the GFX were decent for its time too.

Settlers 2 will always hold a place in my heart as one of the first games I properly became obsessed with playing. Although ive been playing the series for many many years the AI has still bettered me more often than not and the game was still addictive. Didnt need fast reflexes and no rush to build a base like in most RTS titles but if you managed resources better you could still beat the AI with more skilled troops and better fed workers who were better resource gatherers.

KotOR is still one of the best RPG's ive ever played, hard choices and grey areas in the morality and sometimes things arent always as they seem. A masterclass in story telling and a game that always kept me guessing. Different decisions to make in playthrough's and story can take different routes because of it and in an RPG of its age it was before its time. Easily my favourite Star Wars game ever and will likely be the best of all time unless KotOR III ever sees the light of day.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
There are three games that I can think of off the top of my head. Well, two of them are each a series, but whatever.

First is the Pokemon video game series. I'm not talking about the spinoffs like Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Ranger, and whatever else they made. I'm just talking about the main RPGs where you get all eight badges, stop the evil criminal organization of the region you're in, and become the Pokemon league champion. I always have a game going on on of my Pokemon games. The ones that I play are Leaf Green, Emerald, Platinum, Soul Silver, Black, and White (Currently I have a game going on Platinum. And I don't actually start new games on my White Version; I just use it as my Pokemon master game). The oldest one on that list is Leaf Green, which came out in 2004. Each time I start a new Pokemon game, I trade over a preset team of my own choosing, usually of Pokemon I haven't really used before, so that I can keep the games interesting. And it definitely works.

Next is one that I'm sure you're all expecting to see from me: Fable. I still actively play all three of them, though admittedly I play 3 more than 2 and 2 more than TLC. You can check my signature for exactly how many times I've played these games. I know I've explained this before, but I like to keep it interesting by creating different characters each time I play the game, and I put much more effort into it than I do when starting a new Pokemon game. I go for a very specific feel for each character that I create, and this is honestly the most fun part of the game for me. Fable's customization is unlike any other game I've experienced. No other game would allow me to do this kind of thing. If you're interested in how exactly I create my different characters, I have some links to old threads where I've described little bits of how I do it:

http://projectego.net/community/threads/re-playability.27275/#post-460727
http://projectego.net/community/threads/fun-favorite-ways-to-play-through-fable-3.29680/#post-490590

I'm also planning on posting a character showcase thread for myself to document all the different kinds of characters I've created. I'm probably going to wait about a week or so to do that, but I'll throw a link to it in this thread once I do.

This last game I'm going to talk about is the one that stands out the most when I think about games that have stood the test of time for me. It's a PC only game called Freelancer. I know I've spoken about it on here before, but only one or two people here were actually familiar with the game. It was made in 2003, so yes, it's old. It's a space sim RPG with separate singleplayer and multiplayer modes, though the multiplayer is the main attraction. It plays like an MMORPG, except without the ridiculous monthly payments, and the combat isn't turn based like many MMOs I've heard about. Here are a couple of gameplay videos from singleplayer to show what the combat is like (sorry for the crappy quality on the first one):

When I first started playing this game, it was on an unmodded server, like most servers were at the time. Back then, pretty much everyone used the same ships and the same equipment for their ships, but the action between the clans on that server was amazing. Clans would have control over certain star systems, being able to tax anyone who entered their territory, and there were certain allegiances between clans that fought against other clans. There were good sized dog fights that included about 10 pilots at least every day, and sometimes there would even be massive wars over star systems that included tons of pilots and entire clans all fighting at once. It was nuts.

Between now and then, however, that server, along with many others, died due to lack of activity. There is pretty much only one server left now, but it's really great. It uses a massive mod that expands the Freelancer universe, and the clans on this server are called player factions, and they go along with all the NPC factions that are in the game. Many of these factions include police and military of established nations, corporations which are primarily used for making players money by trading, organized pirate factions who kill and steal from lawful players, lawful and unlawful mercenary factions, and many other miscellaneous factions that have independent purposes. You don't actually have to join one of these player factions though. You just have to have a certain ship, certain equipment, and a little ID card that go along with the NPC faction you'd like to be affiliated with. There is so much stuff to do no matter what faction you're affiliated with. For example, if you have a police or military pilot, you can not only hunt pirates and keep lawful players like corporate traders from having their money and cargo stolen, but militaries will often coordinate massive assaults on space controlled by a nation that they are at war with. Plus, with this mod ship stats have really gotten balanced out, so no matter what faction you're a part of, and no matter what ships and equipment that faction allows you to use, you'll always have access to something good. And because of this, along with the addition of new ship classes like bombers, larger capital ships, and large cargo transporters, combat has evolved quite a bit, and it's even better than it was in the past. Also, as the mod gets updated with new systems, ships, factions, etc., the mod developers also develop different side stories having to do with things like how the wars between different nations are progressing, so sometimes after a new update, certain space stations and planets may have been taken over by a different faction, and alliances and relations between different factions can change.

Hmm, well now I feel like I've been rambling. Oh well. :lol:

Nonetheless it is like The Beatles; whether or not you loved or hated them you can but pay respect to their greatness.

I'm not so sure that's exactly valid. People who say they don't like The Beatles usually get bludgeoned to death (as they should), but people who say they don't like WoW usually just get agreed with. :lol:

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Only problem is that like most older PC games, they don't really age well on the technical side. Trying to get it to run on XP is a PITA, and Windows 7? Forget about it. It also only has like 800x600 resolution and doesn't support windowed mode so it looks horrible on any modern-sized screen.

Have you tried buying any of the oldies at GOG.com? The ones they sell on there are compatible with Windows XP to Windows 7 (including 64-bit). I grabbed the original Fallout from there after failing to get my old copy of it to run on Win7 and their version ran perfectly for me.

Saw that GOG has BG2 for $9.99 right now, after watching some gameplay videos it looks pretty awesome so I'll be checking it out. But I'm concerned if I'll be fine with jumping into BG2 without BG1, story-wise.

KotOR is still one of the best RPG's ive ever played, hard choices and grey areas in the morality and sometimes things arent always as they seem. A masterclass in story telling and a game that always kept me guessing. Different decisions to make in playthrough's and story can take different routes because of it and in an RPG of its age it was before its time. Easily my favourite Star Wars game ever and will likely be the best of all time unless KotOR III ever sees the light of day.

Shamefully, I have to admit to never having played a KotOR game before and even now I feel more bad because I'm worried it isn't compatible with Windows 7. I wanted to get it for Xbox, but saw that people are selling it as a rarity now (too much money for me). Do you know if it's compatible with Windows 7?

Settlers 2 looks pretty cool and Red Alert 2 looks a bit overwhelming, but I'm gonna take your word on its accessibility. :lol:

This last game I'm going to talk about is the one that stands out the most when I think about games that have stood the test of time for me. It's a PC only game called Freelancer. I know I've spoken about it on here before, but only one or two people here were actually familiar with the game. It was made in 2003, so yes, it's old. It's a space sim RPG with separate singleplayer and multiplayer modes, though the multiplayer is the main attraction. It plays like an MMORPG, except without the ridiculous monthly payments, and the combat isn't turn based like many MMOs I've heard about. Here are a couple of gameplay videos from singleplayer to show what the combat is like (sorry for the crappy quality on the first one):

When I first started playing this game, it was on an unmodded server, like most servers were at the time. Back then, pretty much everyone used the same ships and the same equipment for their ships, but the action between the clans on that server was amazing. Clans would have control over certain star systems, being able to tax anyone who entered their territory, and there were certain allegiances between clans that fought against other clans. There were good sized dog fights that included about 10 pilots at least every day, and sometimes there would even be massive wars over star systems that included tons of pilots and entire clans all fighting at once. It was nuts.

Between now and then, however, that server, along with many others, died due to lack of activity. There is pretty much only one server left now, but it's really great. It uses a massive mod that expands the Freelancer universe, and the clans on this server are called player factions, and they go along with all the NPC factions that are in the game. Many of these factions include police and military of established nations, corporations which are primarily used for making players money by trading, organized pirate factions who kill and steal from lawful players, lawful and unlawful mercenary factions, and many other miscellaneous factions that have independent purposes. You don't actually have to join one of these player factions though. You just have to have a certain ship, certain equipment, and a little ID card that go along with the NPC faction you'd like to be affiliated with. There is so much stuff to do no matter what faction you're affiliated with. For example, if you have a police or military pilot, you can not only hunt pirates and keep lawful players like corporate traders from having their money and cargo stolen, but militaries will often coordinate massive assaults on space controlled by a nation that they are at war with. Plus, with this mod ship stats have really gotten balanced out, so no matter what faction you're a part of, and no matter what ships and equipment that faction allows you to use, you'll always have access to something good. And because of this, along with the addition of new ship classes like bombers, larger capital ships, and large cargo transporters, combat has evolved quite a bit, and it's even better than it was in the past. Also, as the mod gets updated with new systems, ships, factions, etc., the mod developers also develop different side stories having to do with things like how the wars between different nations are progressing, so sometimes after a new update, certain space stations and planets may have been taken over by a different faction, and alliances and relations between different factions can change.

I remember you mentioning this before in another thread and this game does sound awesome (looks it too), but I'm curious if once you join a faction can you easily defect from it anytime you want or do you have to hop through some hoops to switch factions? Cause I can see myself already joining up with the law only to jump ship to being a pirate. Price is really cheap, so I'll likely get to try it out one day.

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Pokemon Red & Blue, and having been out of it for so many years.. trying to get back into it feels a bit overwhelming. If I had a DS/3DS I'd probbaly try to get back into it to see what I've been missing all these years. But I heard that the newer games don't have the 1st generation Pokemon anymore.. so, I'm not sure. ):

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Shamefully, I have to admit to never having played a KotOR game before and even now I feel more bad because I'm worried it isn't compatible with Windows 7. I wanted to get it for Xbox, but saw that people are selling it as a rarity now (too much money for me). Do you know if it's compatible with Windows 7?

Yes, it's compatible. I have them both on my computer with Windows 7.

I remember you mentioning this before in another thread and this game does sound awesome (looks it too), but I'm curious if once you join a faction can you easily defect from it anytime you want or do you have to hop through some hoops to switch factions? Cause I can see myself already joining up with the law only to jump ship to being a pirate. Price is really cheap, so I'll likely get to try it out one day.

Well actually, you don't have to leave one faction to become part of another. I have tons of different characters, all with different affiliations. I've got police officers, military pilots, bounty hunters, pirates, etc. You should definitely try it out though. It would be awesome to have someone I know from outside the game to play with.

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Pokemon Red & Blue, and having been out of it for so many years.. trying to get back into it feels a bit overwhelming. If I had a DS/3DS I'd probbaly try to get back into it to see what I've been missing all these years. But I heard that the newer games don't have the 1st generation Pokemon anymore.. so, I'm not sure. ):

All the games still have the first 151 Pokemon. It's just that not all of them are on the regional Pokedex for the newer games. The way it works is that each game has its own region, and that region has its own regional Pokedex, which has all of the new Pokemon that were created for that generation plus an assortment of Pokemon from all previous generations. At a certain point in the game though (usually after you've gotten all eight badges and beaten the elite four), you'll get the national Pokedex, which is able to record every Pokemon to date, and you'll unlock new areas that allow you to catch Pokemon from previous generations that aren't on your regional Pokedex. Also, most games will allow you to trade any Pokemon onto them at any time. Even before you have the national Pokedex, you can trade over Pokemon that aren't on the regional Pokedex. They just won't be recorded as "caught" until your Pokedex is upgraded to national mode.

If you have a gameboy advance though, I'd recommend getting Fire Red or Leaf Green. They're remakes of Red and Blue, and they'll only have the original first generation on them...that is, until you get your national Pokedex. Then you'll be able to go to newer places that weren't in the first generation and catch newer Pokemon. You could also get Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald (I'd recommend Emerald) if you want a newer generation and region on your gameboy advance.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
The story of Baldur's Gate I is a mere stepping stone into the epic story that awaits you in Baldur's Gate II. However, Baldur's Gate I is a relatively short game (I think the max level is 8 or something) so if you can get a hold of it, go nuts. It is a decent DnD romp.

Reaction score
I can always go back to fallout 3, never get bored of that. One playthrough I'm some do-Gooder trying to build a nation out of the capital wasteland using the purifier as the fuel of my campaign and the brotherhood as a national army, the next moment I'm a realist merc who carves out a living in the brutal wastes. In my latest playthrough I've went for a survivalist type character, I walked around with the regulator duster using only basic weapons like the double barrell shotgun from point lookout and the hunting rifle to make it feel like an authentic struggle for survival. There's too much to do in that game for it to only last one playthrough, one of the best games I've played in a while, no doubt about it.

Also I like to dust of my copy of bioshock and play that again every year or so. I've played red dead redemption a few times and will probably do so again soon. Sometime in the future I may dust off my wii/GameCube and play zelda once again, that game NEVER got boring and to be honest it's been a while since I've payed my respect to this amazing series. The metal gear solid series really stuck with me too, in my teens I would often start a new play through on mgs3 as soon as I had completed the previous one.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Settlers 2 looks pretty cool and Red Alert 2 looks a bit overwhelming, but I'm gonna take your word on its accessibility. :lol:

Id only played KotOR II until I was begged to play the original for some time and finally got around to it when I found a copy of the Star Wars classic collection for £6 on Ebay (contains 5 of the top rated Star Wars games of all time). Worked fine on Vista too so shouldnt be any real issues with Windows 7. I played it and it was a great game and reminds me a lot of Mass Effect with its choices but the ending was epic whereas ME3's wasnt. :lol:

Settlers 2 is proper old school and a true classic game that does feel a little dated these days but its classic formula is why I still play it. There has been MANY sequels in The Settlers franchise but Settlers 2 was my favourite by far. Red Alert 2 is easy to pick up and play and understand the units and their uses and everything just comes naturally. Really balanced and doesnt feel like the AI uses cheap tricks like some games in the Command & Conquer range. Easily one of the best RTS games ever made.

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
Also. honestly:

View attachment 584/TLC

The music is awesome. The game play is solid, it has great atmosphere. its quite linear but there is really nothing wrong with that. It takes a good 8 hours to complete the story, another 4 or 5 to 100% it (wich i have done twice in my haveing played it 8-9 times tottal)

Every once in a while ill have a craving to play it. Just to run around and kill stuff on an already completed save. Or, start a whole new file and try not to use magic or range combat the whole game.

Although the 360 it self my not agree to the whole "standing the test of time" part:
Yes this is my own vid. The guild has turned in to a giant shrubbery and running dosent work as well as it use too. Some days the game works just fine. others, not so much... :/
The game holds a very nostalgic place in my heart

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Super_Smash_Bros_Melee_box_art.png

Super Smash Bros. Melee took the novel mash-up concept that made it's predecessor on the Nintendo 64 so popular and added so much more to it. A fast paced game that was lighthearted fun for players who were just beginning and very intense for seasoned players who had mastered the games mechanics. The speed of the game kept fights interesting and the potential level of technical ability created a massive skill curve. As the amount competitive play grew, new innovations like wavedashing and SHFFLing always gave the Melee-savvy something new to hone their skills with. With a fun concept, fast-paced gameplay and an enormous skill curve, it's no wonder that Melee was still played competitively so long after its time. Even with a sequel released, Melee tournaments are still commonplace. A Brawl mod is currently in development just because Super Smash Bros. players can't get enough of the playstyle of Melee: which was stripped away in Brawl.

I played Melee for years after it came out. I stopped after a while because I did not own a GameCube, but when I met friends who enjoyed the Smash Bros. series as much as I did, there was, and still is not, no end to the matches. Hours upon hours are still sunk into 1 on 1 match ups. While Street Fighter already capitalized on fighting games with high technical skill, it's been proven time and time again that there's still room for Melee in the competitive fighting game world. I've never been a very big fighting game player, but I'll sit and play Melee for hours straight if I'm with a worthy opponent who can play for as long as I can. Anyone who doubts the depth of Melee is welcome to play against my Link, Sheik, Fox, Falco, Jigglypuff, and Dr. Mario any day, any time.

Still don't believe me? You've never seen a pro Melee player in action. They are absolutely insane.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Melee definitely takes me back and still the best fighter I've played to this day. I wasn't awesome at it, but I was pretty good. My best character would have to be Kirby.. I... admittedly would sometimes run & float away like a chickenshit, only to come back with blindsides (still got my butt kicked anyway). Had the most fun when it was all 4 players going at it (utter mayhem) and if I had still had my Gamecube I'd gladly keep up with some regular sessions right now.

Still don't believe me? You've never seen a pro Melee player in action. They are absolutely insane.
No doubt. I'm surprised there's still so many people who believe once the characters come into close range that it's nothing but mindless button-mashing. It's a deep fighter that happens to be very accessible. Watching my friends Anthony & Jim go at it years ago with Roy vs. Link was a sight to see, swords clashing, fast counters, dodging, etc. Took me a handful of months to be nearly half as good. ):

Never got to play Brawl before except for a brief store demo, but it was at one point the main reason for me wanting a Wii a few years ago. Looking at it now though, not sure I'd want it.. however I wouldn't mind picking up a Wii if it meant I could properly play (wii remote is no beuno) Melee and other GC gems again.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score
I've always wanted to see Smash with Mortal Combatesque fatalities.

Kirby ripping Pickahu's spine out!

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Never got to play Brawl before except for a brief store demo, but it was at one point the main reason for me wanting a Wii a few years ago. Looking at it now though, not sure I'd want it.. however I wouldn't mind picking up a Wii if it meant I could properly play (wii remote is no beuno) Melee and other GC gems again.
You can play Brawl and numerous other Wii games with a GameCube controller. In fact, most Brawl players use the GC controllers.

I will say, and this is purely my personal opinion, that Brawl isn't nearly as fun. The play speed is slower and the physics make it a more chaotic game with less skill involved... BUT! You can always install Project M and play with it. It makes Brawl play with Melee-like physics and adds a few classic stages like Hyrule Castle from the original. No hacking the Wii is necessary. All it takes is a download and a 2GB SD card (Brawl doesn't support anything larger). You can remove it just as easily as use it. You can also take it online so long as the other player has it installed. If they don't, it can mean bad news for you going online with modded game content.

If you've got a Wii with Project M, I'll play you online any time. :)
EDIT: I think the used ones go for something like $50 online... new GameCube controllers are somewhere around $20. Yes, this is me telling you that I need an online Project M buddy.