• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How much would it cost to buy the Fable Franchise?

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Recently Minecraft and its company Mojang was bought by Microshaft for 2.5 BILLION dollars. Which to me is an incredible amount of money for one successful IP which if I'm not mistaken the owner made only around 40million off of.

So I was wondering how much would Microsoft or Lionhead take to willingly part with Fable. Is it still worth billions?

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score
I've heard that the estimated sell price of a company is equal to the expected profit for up to 10 years in the future. Seem like a long time to reap a profit from a purchase. I guess you're making money and you own the company so maybe its correct. Fable III sold about 5 million copies. So doing some really bad math and a ton of assumptions 1 million a year and $10 profit average per unit sold means 10 million a year so maybe 100 million. A far cry from the 2.5 billion but I think Microsoft was looking for something more than the dollars. I think they were thinking of pulling in the next generation of gamers into the being Microsoft and therefor Xbox fans.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Not much else I could add to what's already been said. Even if someone were to manage to purchase the franchise, I'm left here wondering which publisher would even fit the bill to make it worth everyone's time. Ubisoft? EA? Activision? .. oh god.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Not much else I could add to what's already been said. Even if someone were to manage to purchase the franchise, I'm left here wondering which publisher would even fit the bill to make it worth everyone's time. Ubisoft? EA? Activision? .. oh god.
Yeah I can't imagine. Bethesda would get it completely wrong but atleast it would still be game of the year.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Yeah I can't imagine. Bethesda would get it completely wrong but atleast it would still be game of the year.
Oh yeah, definitely. On the other hand we'd finally be guaranteed a fully open-world Fable game and can scale that mountain that ol' Petey promised us.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I'm a great believer in that a game series can only truly be great if left in the hands of its original creators, with the rare exception of Bethesda and Fallout 3. Which is why I wish Molyneux still had his sweaty little hands all over Fable, sure he never fully realised his dream - but it was his dream. Molyneux might have come across as an over-excited kid high on sugar dust but atleast it showed how enthusiastic he was, and how much he loved his dream. I want to feel like developers hold a special place in their hearts for their games. Instead of "Hey that game looks cool. Yeah, let's do that".

As for the cost of Fable, I did some math and added up that I've spent around $112 on the series. So if that helps...

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I'm a great believer in that a game series can only truly be great if left in the hands of its original creators, with the rare exception of Bethesda and Fallout 3. Which is why I wish Molyneux still had his sweaty little hands all over Fable, sure he never fully realised his dream - but it was his dream. Molyneux might have come across as an over-excited kid high on sugar dust but atleast it showed how enthusiastic he was, and how much he loved his dream. I want to feel like developers hold a special place in their hearts for their games. Instead of "Hey that game looks cool. Yeah, let's do that".

As for the cost of Fable, I did some math and added up that I've spent around $112 on the series. So if that helps...
I miss Peter too, but at the same time the poor guy was his own worst enemy. His heart and imagination were too ambitious for what was capable of the hardware, engine, and perhaps even the dev team themselves. Kinda makes me feel bad whenever I see people on other sites rag on him for his empty promises.

If anyone else were to get their hands on Fable then to me it would just feel like an imitation of what once was. It's got the name and could have similar humor, art style, gameplay, but it's not the same.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
If anyone else were to get their hands on Fable then to me it would just feel like an imitation of what once was. It's got the name and could have similar humor, art style, gameplay, but it's not the same.

It almost feels like that's already happened for me. The way the series is going at the moment feels as though it's completely out of the hands of its original creators. You can slap Lionhead stickers all over it, but it's not the same Lionhead that made the original Fable by any means.

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
It almost feels like that's already happened for me. The way the series is going at the moment feels as though it's completely out of the hands of its original creators. You can slap Lionhead stickers all over it, but it's not the same Lionhead that made the original Fable by any means.
Peter wanted to cut the female playable character from Fable 2. It ended being a cult classic among female gamers.

This to me is what is so infuriating Fable is a GOOD franchise it has just never been executed properly. I don't think any of us regardless have ever actually played a real Fable game, by the looks of it we never will.

Gikoku

driftin' along.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Peter wanted to cut the female playable character from Fable 2. It ended being a cult classic among female gamers.

This to me is what is so infuriating Fable is a GOOD franchise it has just never been executed properly. I don't think any of us regardless have ever actually played a real Fable game, by the looks of it we never will.
He did? Wasn't aware of that, then again considering the male-only venture in Fable 1, I can believe it.

That last sentence is pretty depressing though when really thought about, even in the hands of the original mastermind we weren't able to get what he wanted and it's like... I wouldn't mind being in Pete's head for a day just to properly see what madness he had been cooking up all this time.