• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I Hated Fable 3 for One Reason:

What did you despise about Fable 3

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian

Reaction score
The “choices” in Fable 3 are by far, the worst I have ever seen in any RPG game that provides this dynamic methodology of story-telling.

Perhaps it’s lazy writing or a sign that the British education system is failing in the political science department, because the options I get look more like an episode out of Pokemon than anything meaningful or connective on an emotional level.

For comparison, look at Mass Effect. The choices you make have stark differences, yet no matter what you choose, you are still the good guy. This is a realistic approach to comprehending and analyzing historical characters (why Chin the Emperor of China, did what he did, and so on) as well as providing players a greater emotional connection to the character they are playing. Some of these choices are difficult for me to pick, and sometimes there are so many choices available, I have to save the game and reload it multiple times to see my different outcomes, or to even play the game multiple times over to fully experience it.

Fable 3 provides none of that depth. Can you imagine if Lionhead Studios made Mass Effect?

“Shepard, you can either starve off half of humanity and sell the rest as slaves to alien civilizations; or you can transform Earth into a vegan nudist paradise and spread the message of peace and love across the galaxy!”

How about ‘none of the above’? Neither of these choices makes sense to any degree of human understanding, and I think the only realistic option would be to gauge my eyes out rather than excruciate myself further to another minute of simplistic dribble.

These are the types of choices you are constantly exposed to in Fable 3. Are you a savage barbarian meat-eater or a loving, kind, vegetarian? Are you seriously providing me with this choice? Can I not be good and a meat eater simultaneously? Is it not possible to be evil and a vegetarian at the same time? Clearly the staff of Lionhead Studios couldn’t even fathom the possibility that the man responsible for the Holocaust was perhaps one of the most renowned and principled vegan’s this world has ever known.

I was annoyed and dismayed that Reaver was the archetype of the “evil conservative right-winger” who wishes to do no good, simply for the sake of doing it. Now I understand the Fable series retains a sense of humour, and perhaps it’s sometimes better to force people to choose sides rather than allow them to sit on the fence. But what happens when both sides are full of ****? Then you’re really screwed.

And what makes the hippies automatically good? If I had even thought about listening to their nonsense, the whole kingdom would have been millions in debt, and the darkness would have killed them all. I can only be thankful that my real estate empire (ie. The very capitalism your rebels are fighting against) saved me from racking up Obama-sized deficits.

Despite the fact my real estate empire is the saviour of the kingdom; all you ever hear is your people bitch and complain. “Why do you have to own my house! I want to own my own house!” even after I gave everyone the lowest rent rate possible. Since when did industrial-era caricatures even give a **** about owning their land? If you want to have your child benefits and not have your house swallowed by shadow, then I need some form of cash to make that happen.

So why were these people complaining about their home ownership? Why is Reaver the bad guy? Why are hippies and vegans the good guys? It’s the bias. The liberal-Labourite bias that Fox News is always ranting about has manifested itself in a British video game that targets Echo boomer males, of all places. Politics has little place in the video game world, and as a political science major, I can sniff out this rubbish one pixel away. I’m a moderate, but I’ll quote Matt Stone on this: I hate conservatives, but I really ****ing hate liberals. The self-righteous, arrogant, latte-sipping social justice crusaders are by far the most annoying segment of society. So why on earth are they bringing their indecipherable megalomaniac stupidity to my TV screen? I don’t want it. And if you’re going to force it upon me, then at least provide an opt-out.

But there was no way out of this. You can either be a good person, and start preserving the environment, giving rights to animals, and redecorating your castle to suit post-modern avant-garde tastes, or you can be the right-wing nut job who will reap destruction upon his own people for his own personal gain. This was by far the most annoying aspect of the game. I was willing to ignore the glitches, the plot holes, and put the missing functions aside, so long as I could get something out of this experience. I did not gain anything, but I did accumulate a sort of spite for the folks at Lionhead Studios for thinking they could pass horse **** for Haute cuisine.

It was like trying to convert Karl Marx’s Das Kapital into a colouring book. How on earth can you **** up industrial-era politics that much? I don’t even think the writers of Lionhead Studios have an understanding of Marxism, rebellion, republicanism, and all the “history” this game tries to base itself on. My elementary classes on social studies had more depth than their interpretation of the materialist conception of history.

In conclusion, the choices this game provides are liberal biased, incoherent, lack sophistication, and reflect a lack of understanding on Lionhead Studios staff part. The people that play Fable 3 are not the same demographic of Pyjama Sam’s adventures, and everything Fable 3 provides only insults the intelligence of those of us who belong to the “Mature” rating this game sells itself on.

If Lionhead ever wants to regain the loyalty of once-fans like me, then they need to both acknowledge their sheer stupidity, and go on a massive hiring spree; because their current weakness was not in programming, but in story telling.

Your thoughts or opinions on this essay/complaint I may send to Lionhead Studios?

Oh and what would be the thing that you despised the most in Fable 3? I hope I'm not alone in my assessment. I understand there may be a lot of people who absolutely disagree with me, or didn't notice or care whatsoever, but it was definitely an issue for me.

Recycled Human

Reaction score
I really enjoy your examination of the game from a political science perspective. I've only taken the one course in Political Science and I have to say its fascinating stuff. So I want to make it clear that I'm not interested in being argumentative but merely want to discuss this with you from a learning point of view and say thank you for providing this insight.

I guess I first want to address the 'right-wing bad, left wing good' concept and say that I believe (purely opinion) that it would be fair to assess the gaming community as predominately left-wing (and I'm basing that off of my experience with college level students as thats my age group as well as my generation for gaming). For the most part they value the concepts of such major radical change without taking into account all the ramifications of making such changes, often producing arguments that have major holes in them. Its this belief that I feel LH probably shares and decided to exploit a bit. They may have chosen to take the opportunity to bring a magnifying glass to the gaming community's beliefs and show that there are logical grey areas here where we have to decide whats for the greatest good to the greatest number. Of course I believe they also realized there's only so far they can take such a stance and decided to give us the real-estate easy out but for those who truly follow the path of good without the capital to save everyone on there own, they will be forced to really reconsider some of their previously held beliefs.

I think we can all agree that these choices are as you say 'a coloring book version of Karl Marx', but as a piece this may be a lighter version in the hopes that those who don't usually find themselves on the side of child labor are given an opportunity to have a bite sized chunk instead of a stress induced jaw-full.

The character of Reaver as a literary device seems to achieve this end masterfully. In my opinion his vilification as the 'evil choices' were perfectly fitting, especially considering his debates were logical. I mean, if the world was truly in a crisis situation the choice to begin to restore a section of the old town would be relatively wasteful (granted it would provide some temporary work to the people and an opportunity for more businesses and growth but whats the use of growth if everyones dead). Saving the trees for the mountain people sounds like a noble cause, but meanwhile we need materials to fund our war and its a war to save everyone, how great will I feel walking through the restored mountains of mistpeak if there's no one to breathe the fresh air?

The landowners chastising you for owning their homes is probably an attempt at coercing you to not rely so heavily on real estate and your own private wealth to pay for the war. At least thats my assumption.

Just to conclude, I think that LH made an attempt at exposing commonly held ideals of their typical consumers and used the literary weapon of Reaver and political hot buttons like child labor in an attempt to further polarize their fans then attempted to (although admittedly it wasn't very convincing) pressure them into rethinking their decisions. In some areas I think it worked, like the hippies begging for protection from becoming a dumpsite. I really didn't want to help them out! And in other areas it may have fallen flat on its face, like the choice between education and child labor. I think it would have added considerable depth if we were allowed the third choice on all decisions instead of just the few presented to you by hobson. I would have loved to try a conservative approach to answering these games challenges instead of being directly grouped in with good and evil. But at the end of the day, this is a game and a game at best can be a piece of art to expose the artists version of truth or simply a fun way to waste a few free hours a day.

Personally my favorite part in this entire game was Logan's address to the people of bowerstone industrial found on a leaflet in a back alley. It was by far the most politically moving piece in the entire game. The twist didn't surprise as much as it relieved me because I was hoping for that outcome. I wish I could choose to rule EXACTLY as Logan did, I mean who doesn't want their own purple army? XD

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score
Oh dear sir, I'm sorry to point out that you forgot the " You're a massive ******" on the poll...

Aions

Cant dance.
Reaction score
fable 2 had way more glitches then no. 3, i had to delete one of my F2 profiles cus it was un playable

i loved F3 story compared to F2, and i think F1/tlc had the best... but F3 is up there

F1/tlc had ok choices but both fable 2 and 3's are crappy

f1/tlc had good menus f2 had waaaaaaay to many, it took getting use too but now i love f3 menus

is shure dose take a good day to beat fable 3 main story, another day for the side quests -even longer to find all the keys, flowers, books and gnomes

the only thing i dont like are the legendary weps, they are just pre set weapon morphs i like in 1 and 2 then the legendary hammer looks very unique and magical, but now they all look magical but with only a couple different hilts and a hand full of blade types its hard to see witch weapon is witch (my hero sword looks just like the swinging sword and my hero hammer looks like the shield of aurora)

Mastperf

Reaction score
fable 2 had way more glitches then no. 3, i had to delete one of my F2 profiles cus it was un playable
I had to do the same with my first Fable 3 profile but never had major problems with Fable 2. Rest assured, Fable 3 is no better.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
That was a pretty good post, if you ignore the political bias rant.

GrimBaggins

Hobbit for hire.
Reaction score
incase you weren't doing it to be ironic and im guessing you weren't all your choices are **** too.
i LOVE fable ALL of them they have great features and some epic dialog, if i wanted to playa a game like mass effect in this era i'll play dragon age, if i wanted severe in depth story i'd buy a stragedgy game, people expect too much in my eyes play with what you have or not at all. everyone had glitches and niggles to be be worked out,and if you had all this marvelous choice you mentioned, that would intale LOTS more writing in a design sense and technical sense, and what does that lead to,thats right more things to go wrong and glitch. for a race who uses less then 10 percent of our brains we sure do bitch about stuff "we should be able to do" in the computer industry.there will never be a machine as complex as the human mind so everything we can imagine can not always become reality or virtual reality in this case.

oh and hitler was a veggie and we all know what happened there, that is of course if your not one of these people that deny what did happen, and in that case just for you hitler gave out prizes to the best dressed germans and held weekly beard contests,2 of which i have personally won.

Epiternal

Reaction score
My only beef with it is that it didn't feel as climatic as Fable 2, Fable 2 really gripped me at points, it had a lot of moments where you were travelling through a lot of dark and ominous places, such as Wraithmarsh and the woods where you first met the White Balverine, Fable 3 not so much, it's equivalent was Shadelight, which was still pretty gripping in it's own right, but not as much so I won't hold it against the game. as far as the other points go I really had no trouble with any of them, I don't know what's with everyone experiencing these glitches, but offline I have only encountered one, which was easily fixed by leaving Brightwall (not too sure of that myself, but it stopped my game crashing from then on). The length wasn't that bad either, seeing as I've done a speed tun on both F2 and F3, F2 isn't that much longer, both can easily be done within a day I found. The menu was a huge improvement, the only thing I disliked about it was that you couldn't view or chuck any unwanted items and the pawnbrokers were quick to run out of money before you could sell off all your useless ****, otherwise it was way better, it only required a bit of getting used to. Plot gaps? Seriously, I got nothing, your brothers a prick, everyone including your character knows it, he puts you on the spot and makes you decide to fate of people, you decide enough's enough and time to rebel, made perfect sense to me. The final point is the choices, I really don't see how they were worse than Fable 3's, I thought they were better, maybe not so much pre-revolution, but post-revolution when you make the judgements, every decision you make has a huge impact on Albion, so I don't know how you can say they weren't dynamic, seeing Millfields turn from a lush serene paradise in my good file, to a horrible working mine in my evil one felt quite huge.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Hmmm. Yes I was a little disappointed with the choices. In development they claimed the choices would be in more of a grey area. I only found one like that the one at the start, the rest where very staight forward.

Recycled Human

Reaction score
Shadelight was amazing. I found it much more creepy than wraithsmarsh, I think the issue with it is that the children go down in one hit by the time you get there so it's not much of a challenge. However, the music, the timing on it's few scares, the unreal movement on the floor and finally the black liquid dripping upward was all very well done. I've gotta hand it to them, everytime you thought you were safe the crawler showed up again. To the point where your dragging Walter and the children are still cajoling you from the darkness. And even worse, you get out into the shifting sands and the light only to have the crawler screw with you some more. It reminded me of fallout 3's creepy swamp scene.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
It reminded me of fallout 3's creepy swamp scene.

That bit creeped the hell out of me too. You mean Point Lookout right? Anyway, I found that place way creepier than Shadelight Dungeon. Though it was still pretty creepy.

Recycled Human

Reaction score
That bit creeped the hell out of me too. You mean Point Lookout right? Anyway, I found that place way creepier than Shadelight Dungeon. Though it was still pretty creepy.

No doubt, point lookout was way messed up. The part where your walking through the shifting sands and weird stuff is happening reminded me of it! XD

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
No doubt, point lookout was way messed up. The part where your walking through the shifting sands and weird stuff is happening reminded me of it! XD

Yeah the hallucinations and stuff. The ones in Fallout 3 where just plain weird. When I heard the ghoul growls I pooped myself then realised it was a trick. On the shifting sands they didn't scare me, just the bit where Walter appeared I was like, you ain't gonna fool my ass.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Ok, maybe I completely missed something here but I was under the impression that PM wanted to steer away from the traditionally held concepts of RPG and wanted to head more towards action/adventure. Therefore, all the comparisons between other RPG's and Fable games are not quite applicable? Again, my information might be incorrect but I was sure PM said something along those lines some time last year, maybe...

demondeath71

Reaction score
*facepalm*
I am so tempted to link you to that Billy Madison clip right now.

Also your choices are stupid. The only thing that I would even remotely consider a choice is the bugs. Which every game has them, it just varies on whether the gamer will experience the bug while playing or not. Some bugs you don't see unless you try to find them, others are just there. But, and I am being very literal here, how can you not even finish a quest? I am also pretty sure you don't just decide to rebel in an hour. Game time =/= real life time. (except in animal crossing, which I am pretty sure this isn't that). And the only "missing feature" I would like is the choice of emotions.

iamorion

Reaction score
I like the game...but I do have a list of issues. I for one wish they had kept the menu system from Fable II. It would have been nice to see some of the stuff you did from Fable 2 ported into Fable 3, like Mass Effect. Having to talk to every single villager rather then being able to gather them together in a group is also a bit annoying. It feels like they tried to combine aspects of Fable 1 and Fable 2 to create Fable 3; not a bad thing imo, just an observation. The game is also fairly short but I think that is a problem that is occurring in many games lately (The Force Unleashed 2 took only 5 hours to complete).

I love that they kept the feel of the game, the mood, the atmosphere, the combat system is pretty much the same...I like all that and that's why I enjoy the game. I am getting the PC version as well because I know there is an active modding community from Fable 1 that will likely be adding custom content to expand the game. So I am really looking forward to that! Overall its good but it could have been better.

Oh, wanted to mention the bugs are minor...seem to have some trouble with quest but that's all I have really noticed.

Canadian

Reaction score
I'll try to respond to everyone as best as I can

@Demondeath71
Rather than assuming it's impossible for a glitch that ruins a quest to exist, just google "Fable 3 glitches" and you'll find a fanciful collection of ranting consumers who are angry that their Fable 3 game is ruined. Mine is one of those which was ruined. The quest "Gone but not Forgotten" had me stuck in the room where you find Max playing on the organ. I fought every hollow man in the entire map, and it wouldn't let me move on. I couldn't reload because Fable 3 lacks the ability for gamers to reload to certain points. So yes, I could not finish a quest, and my game was ruined. I had to start over. Do you not agree that is an unpleasant experience?

@The Tyrant Lord
There is certain forum protocol that would asks you engage in debate rather than act like a douchebag. So please, enlighten me, as to what you agree with, and what you don't.

@Angel
I would be completely fine with that, but even still, that's a change to gameplay, not to morality or to the plot, which was weak.

@Queenofdisco92
Yep, the gray area of choices is what I expected to, hence the disappointment.

@Grimbaggins
I have absolutely no idea what your point is. I'm quite aware Hitler is a vegetarian, I even stated it in my rant.

@Arseface
My rant is against the political bias in the game. I don't like bias anywhere, and I will happily rip a game apart for conservative bias, if it ever existed. A game with politics involved should have a realistic depiction of both sides.

@EFDisaster
Yep, I never proofread my work, and it shows. Thanks for that though, I've made the change in my original copy.

@Recycled Human
Your response is exactly the kind of debate I was looking for, and while I cannot respond now (I have a paper to write) I will get back to you promptly.

Status
Not open for further replies.