• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

I Miss Fable

bradio12

Reaction score
i remember the day i got fable: tlc, it's like my most faveourite game.
I hope for fable 4 they bring back the gameplay elements from TLC, oh yeah, and fable 2 was epic too

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
Now that Peter's not Lead Designer anymore, there may be that "small" chance of us seeing TLC-esque gameplay elements. But don't bet on it.

Still, its been 2 years since Fable III, and there's no word of Fable IV yet (other than Lionhead are working on it), I can safely bet that they're making an entire new engine just Fable IV (unless they're going to use The Journey's engine, which isn't too bad, really. Not sure how they'll make it more like TLC, though.).

And yeah, I can't get away from TLC. I still play an hour of it every Friday.

littlesparrow

Reaction score
I like the Industrialized world of Fable 3..the problem is there not enough of the magic feel of the first two in it..it's completely shifted..

I don't mind the world becoming more industrialized, but you as the player should have a greater say in it..after all you are the King.

But no matter how much of the land changes and time moves forward, there should always be parts of the world that remain beautiful, magical..unless you as King choose otherwise..

AinurOlorin

Reaction score
I think a lot of the people pining for Fable TLC do so more out of nostalgia than objective analysis and comparison. Don't mistake me, there were certainly some things in Fable TLC that were better than in its successors. The ability to pick up any item you saw lying around, the lockpicking, a few of the spells that went missing, the greater diversity of creatures and regions, and for me the time setting.

There were also many areas in which the subsequent games improved vastly upon Fable TLC. Both Fable II and Fable III had much larger regions (though expanded versions of regions like THe Northern Wastes should have been present), more customization (except for the armour), Fable II offered more spells and replayable missions, and Fable III offered the best couch co-op I can recall having seen in a game.

For the most part, Fable II and III kept most of the charm, the brothels, the humour, the wonder, and most of the positive aspects of the series. They did make a mistake in not keeping the controllable expression wheel in Fable III, and in scaling back on the number of spells while forcing the player to wear the disgustingly superflous and demeaning gauntlets. Also, there should have been MORE lore, MORE magical creatures, good and evil alike, MORE regions that were all larger etc. But the notion that either Fable II or III "ruined" everything good about Fable (TLC), or that they didn't add anything to it, is just foolishness.

Also, I cannot sign on for the camp that wants to make the games exponentially more difficult. Insane difficulty for its own sake, or for bragging rights, is the obsession of hardcore gamers (and not all of them). The creators have often said they want this game to be accessible to casual gamers. Sure, the game should have a good amount of difficulty at lower levels, and some enemies should be reasonably challanging even at high levels, but encounters with those high level enemies (like trolls, demons, perhaps someday benevolent fairies/spirits for evil player/characters, dragons, kraken etc.) should be fairly rare (not unique, and not non-respawning, just more rare, and not commonly found outside of certain regions). There is no point in becoming an epic superhero if you still have to virtually kill yourself to fend off a couple of bandits. The thing that makes so many people fed up with Elder Scrolls is the crazy scaling, which makes all of your advancements seem superficial, because the tougher you become, the tougher EVERYTHING becomes, to the point where you don't seem to really be progressing. Some people say they shouldn't have to pass on taking new powers just to be constantly challanged at every turn. . . OF COURSE YOU SHOULD! Why would you keep enhancing your powers if you don't want to be exceptional??? An archmage is not supposed to have to seriously worry about getting his ass kicked by a local hedge magician or a common thug, and a Herculean warrior should not have to fret that a couple of brigands are going to hand his ass to him. A wraithking or a troll might best those mighty persons. . . but trolls and wraithkings shouldn't be lurking behind every tree in every forest. If you want to be a legendary wizard/warrior, then don't complain about being mightier than the average menace. . . if you want every fight to feel like it could easily be your last. . . then stop snatching up every superpower you can get your hands on.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
I'm not the only one here who wants it to be like Fable and TLC again.
I want the option to do quests naked.
I want the option to beat the final boss with a frying pan.
I want a real arena. Not a crucible.
I want a rival so I can bash his face in before a crowd of thousands.
Or let him keep his miserable life and watch him crawl away.
I want a final boss fight.

Do I sound needy? Well, ALL of these things were in the original Fable and haven't been possible since.

If they won't be brought back, they better be replaced with something better. That's the idea of a sequel, isn't it?

chelsealou2

Reaction score
The main thing I miss is oakvale and all the old loacations and the heros guild, without them there's no point in being hero because your protecting something that's just going to keep changing whether you want it to or not. I definely prefer fable 1 and fable 2. The best things they did in favle 2 was allow us to choose what gender to be, the fact that we had a permant compainion ( the dog) and was allow us to have a family that had children in it. Fable 3 was definely a disappointment to me, although I do love the layout of the castle, but they should have returned some of the old locations like oakvale and the heros guild since the hero becomes queen and can shape the world as the see fit. And for thee fable: journey, I will not be buying it as I think its an abomination as they are not using the orginal blood line the hero has decended upon . I wish I lionhead studios would ask the fans what they would like to see instead of just going with the flow and making up whatever they can

Daniel Ray

The Wizard From The East
Reaction score
I'd like Lionhead to AT LEAST explain the changes in the locations of Albion, like "What happened to Wraithmarsh?" and "Where the hell did Mourningwood spring from ?"

MazeisMaze

Rattus Rattus
Reaction score
It would be a better game if they didn't remove so many stuff from the original.