• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is it just me or is it incredibly annoying when people use "cliche" as an adjective?

Is it just me or is it incredibly annoying when people use "cliche" as an adjective?

• Oui.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Affirmative.

• You betchya.

• Probably.

• Almost certainly.

• Who could disagree with that?

• Total voters

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Seriously. This happens a lot when you're an English major, and every five goddamn minutes when you're a creative writing minor. I don't know why this is so annoying, but for some reason hearing someone say "that's cliche" makes me want to stab them in the eye with a ****ing rusty pocketwatch.

HEY, ASSHOLE, IS THAT CLICHE?

I don't know if it's annoying because it's used excessively or just because it sounds wrong. Or both. Something is a cliche or it is cliched, but using "cliche" as an adjective just sound wrong. I don't care if some dictionaries say it's okay, it still annoys the crap out of me.

...Yeah, I REALLY wanted to find something to bitch about other than my job. Stress relief!

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Seriously. This happens a lot when you're an English major, and every five goddamn minutes when you're a creative writing minor. I don't know why this is so annoying, but for some reason hearing someone say "that's cliche" makes me want to stab them in the eye with a f****** rusty pocketwatch.

HEY, ASSHOLE, IS THAT CLICHE?

I don't know if it's annoying because it's used excessively or just because it sounds wrong. Or both. Something is a cliche or it is cliched, but using "cliche" as an adjective just sound wrong. I don't care if some dictionaries say it's okay, it still annoys the crap out of me.

...Yeah, I REALLY wanted to find something to bitch about other than my job. Stress relief!
You're so cliche.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Well... this thread just made my day.

When it comes to certain phrases, it's not what people say that annoys me, it's how they say it. Unnecessary emphasis on words or sarcasm, commonly found coming out of the mouth of your average youth, bugs me. So, yes, I suppose when people say "That is cliche." in a sarcastic tone like "Oh that is so cliche." it bugs me. But then... I can't remember the last time I heard someone say it anyway.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Classic Walker.

To answer your question? I've never really thought about it. It bugs me heaps when people get all grammar nazi on me though. Language is a ****ing fluid thing, let me **** with it. Not to mention some of the greatest works of literature ever made probably wouldn't have been so great if it weren't for the wanton disregard for proper grammar.

In short: eat a dick.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Well, I am a grammar nazi (that's why that gif is in my signature), so yes, it does bug me a little bit. It bugs me in the same way as somebody saying "anyways" or "towards". There is actually no S at the end of those words.

I think the thing about grammar that bothers me the most is not seeing an oxford comma where there could be one. I mean, I know it's still grammatically correct to not insert one into a list, but not having one makes it look as though the last two items in the list are being grouped together, and on a few occasions, I've even been confused by longer and more complex sentences containing lists that did not have oxford commas.

I guess now is when people start posting lists without oxford commas just for me, right?

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I wouldn't know grammar if it fell on my head. Never got taught about it at school so have no idea how and when and where to use it.

What does bug me though is when people use the wrong words for something - "irony" is a classic example. I can't ever figure it out so I don't use that word. Others will hurl it into any sentence regardless. My sister is someone who uses the wrong word all the time - she picks a big long word to sound smart and it's totally the wrong one to the point where it makes no sense at all. The urge to correct her, tape up her mouth and start speaking on her behalf from that point onward is sometimes overwhelming...

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
Well... I don't find it annoying.

But if I heard it every five God damn seconds I probably would.

What does bug me though is when people use the wrong words for something - "irony" is a classic example.

Reminds me of a joke:

My friend said I didn't know how to use irony.

Which was ironic because we were at a bus stop at the time.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
Shouldn't it be "sounds wrong"?

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score
Well, I am a grammar nazi (that's why that gif is in my signature), so yes, it does bug me a little bit. It bugs me in the same way as somebody saying "anyways" or "towards". There is actually no S at the end of those words.

I think the thing about grammar that bothers me the most is not seeing an oxford comma where there could be one. I mean, I know it's still grammatically correct to not insert one into a list, but not having one makes it look as though the last two items in the list are being grouped together, and on a few occasions, I've even been confused by longer and more complex sentences containing lists that did not have oxford commas.

I guess now is when people start posting lists without oxford commas just for me, right?
yaeh well whatevvr im not chgning my name!! >=D

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
HEY ENGLISH MAJOR YOU FORGOT THE ACCENT MARK

What a cliché.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
Classic Walker.

To answer your question? I've never really thought about it. It bugs me heaps when people get all grammar nazi on me though. Language is a f****** fluid thing, let me f*** with it. Not to mention some of the greatest works of literature ever made probably wouldn't have been so great if it weren't for the wanton disregard for proper grammar.

In short: eat a dick.

**** that noise, 99% of humanity don't got no need to be using the phrase. Also, I don't think it's grammatically incorrect, I just think it's annoying.

HEY ENGLISH MAJOR YOU FORGOT THE ACCENT MARK

What a cliché.

Accent marks is for pussies and foreign language students.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
f*** that noise, 99% of humanity don't got no need to be using the phrase. Also, I don't think it's grammatically incorrect, I just think it's annoying.

That's a nasty double negative there, I hope that was wittily intentional.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score
^ A nitpicking English major who doesn't respect the dictionary?

Hmm...

I respect the dictionary so far as spelling goes. I don't respect it when it gets all in my business where my alphabet is concerned. TWENTY-SIX LETTERS, MOTHERFUCKER. No accents needed unless you're some kinda furriner.

That's a nasty double negative there, I hope that was wittily intentional.

I'm in "**** grammar" mode. It's one of the perks of being an English major-- unrestricted rights to tell grammar, spelling and the dictionary to go **** themselves when stressed out, preferably in the most vulgar way possible.

Shouldn't it be "sounds wrong"?

No. I actually have a secret vendetta against the letter "s."

EDIT: Also,

^ A nitpicking English major who doesn't respect the dictionary?

Hmm...

I'm sorry, was I implying that the major problem here was that it was INCORRECT? No. It's just annoying. I know I used the phrase "sound wrong" several times, but I didn't mean it as in "sounds like incorrect word usage." I meant it more as in "doesn't sound normal."

Yes, that was the most boring and unnecessary edit ever.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
11124306.jpg