• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

JROTC/ROTC

FableAddict

Reaction score
JROTC/ROTC

Is anyone else a member of JROTC (high school), or ROTC (college). Im in JROTC as a LET 1, and im enjoying it.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score
Re: JROTC/ROTC

What's a JROTC? And by extension, what's a ROTC?

EDIT: Oh, is that something to do with the military? I think Walker may have mentioned it once.

FableAddict

Reaction score

^ yes it does have something to do with the military. ROTC is a program in college that will let you go into any branch of the military without basic training (i think) and you will start as an officer. JROTC teaches the basics of military to high school students, but it is not as intense as ROTC is.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

I see.

Then no, I am not a part of either of those programs. I nearly joined the army once, about a year ago, but my colour blindness proved to be an issue.

FableAddict

Reaction score

That sucks. I'm not in it for the military though. honestly i just didnt want to take health or government classes.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

afraid not. i wouldn't be caught dead walking around campus in one of those uniforms. not to mention i loathe excersize and discipline.

instead i'm opting to study to tell the world about everything the military does wrong. that is, i'm majoring in journalism.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

Lol, fair deuce.

TBH, I didn't want to join for the idea of patriotism or anything, I wanted it more for the self improvement side of things. Getting fit, learning leadership skills, comaradarie, etc.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

Arseface;435234 said:
Lol, fair deuce.

TBH, I didn't want to join for the idea of patriotism or anything, I wanted it more for the self improvement side of things. Getting fit, learning leadership skills, comaradarie, etc.

well, being discharged with a check for the past several years, and getting laid because of it are also pretty sweet bonuses.

FableAddict

Reaction score

cheezMcNASTY;435231 said:
afraid not. i wouldn't be caught dead walking around campus in one of those uniforms. not to mention i loathe excersize and discipline.

instead i'm opting to study to tell the world about everything the military does wrong. that is, i'm majoring in journalism.

The uniforms arent that bad, at least not where i am. We only exercise one day a week (really two Mon. and Friday, but Friday is usually a game). The only time discipline was really bad was when i had to do 160 push ups in Drill Team Practice (total not at once) for not keeping a straight face, doing a movment wrong, looking around, i hated that day...

HeroOfCrapsalot

Dean Gullberry
Premium
Reaction score

My friend is some sort Company Commander or something in our JROTC program. We're getting a shooting range at our school now for the shooting team.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

FableAddict;435242 said:
The uniforms arent that bad, at least not where i am. We only exercise one day a week (really two Mon. and Friday, but Friday is usually a game). The only time discipline was really bad was when i had to do 160 push ups in Drill Team Practice (total not at once) for not keeping a straight face, doing a movment wrong, looking around, i hated that day...

i didn't know the JROTC had different uniforms from the ROTC
the fact that i have no intention of entering the military is also a factor. and i've had enough of excessive excersize. if i liked it i never would have quit the wrestling team after the first 2 years in high school.

oh yeah, our ROTC uniforms (and all of them that i've seen at universities) are full camo with a cap.
ROTC.jpg

they walk around with a straight face and expect to be taken seriously. not to mention that if a professor so much as comments on how ridiculous it is that they wear those to university they'll most certainly get fired. i heard the universities have a stick up their ass about it because the military gives the university a fair chunk of cash to have a program, so the university is basically their recruiting puppet.

i know a prof at Temple University got fired for making a comment on it not being halloween when an ROTC kid walked into class in full uniform.

FableAddict

Reaction score

cheezMcNASTY;435245 said:
i didn't know the JROTC had different uniforms from the ROTC
the fact that i have no intention of entering the military is also a factor. and i've had enough of excessive excersize. if i liked it i never would have quit the wrestling team after the first 2 years in high school.

oh yeah, our ROTC uniforms (and all of them that i've seen at universities) are full camo with a cap.
ROTC.jpg

they walk around with a straight face and expect to be taken seriously. not to mention that if a professor so much as comments on how ridiculous it is that they wear those to university they'll most certainly get fired. i heard the universities have a stick up their ass about it because the military gives the university a fair chunk of cash to have a program, so the university is basically their recruiting puppet.

i know a prof at Temple University got fired for making a comment on it not being halloween when an ROTC kid walked into class in full uniform.

Im not sure if the uniforms are diffrent or not, but the uniforms in your picture is what the people on the JROTC Raider team looks like ( the more physical team as opposed to drill). On my profile is a pic of me in my uniform, not full body, but you can tell that there is obviously a diffrence.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

FableAddict;435152 said:
Is anyone else a member of JROTC (high school), or ROTC (college). Im in JROTC as a LET 1, and im enjoying it.

I work out with UMD's Army ROTC. Is fun.

I like to laugh at UMD's AF ROTC. Is funny.

Arseface;435164 said:
What's a JROTC? And by extension, what's a ROTC?

EDIT: Oh, is that something to do with the military? I think Walker may have mentioned it once.

Yep. Junior Reserve Officer Trainin Corps and Reserve Officer Training Corps.

Arseface;435193 said:
I see.

Then no, I am not a part of either of those programs. I nearly joined the army once, about a year ago, but my colour blindness proved to be an issue.

I was wondering what had happened with that.

cheezMcNASTY;435245 said:
ROTC.jpg

Yep. ACUs. Taken seriously? Not so much, but they get money for walking around in those things feeling like idiots. Seriously, the only time UMD's ROTC boys and girls wear their uniforms is when they have Army classes or events and they HAVE to. The ROTC kids are officially Officer Candidates, members of the US military. As in, if they drop the program they still have to go serve out their time as enlisted men to pay the Army back for the money they gave them.

Also, laughing at them is something I'm going to classify as "complete dickery." A significant minority of the guys in UMD's ROTC program are prior service enlisted. I.E. people who have done their time, deployed to unpleasantly hot and sandy places, and are now getting their college edumacation on the government's dime. Sure, some of them are dumbass college kids. Some of them are not.

Also, no idea if the military pays to have the ROTC programs on campus. I know that UMD's Army program used to be huge (every male student was required to do two years-- they dropped that after the '60s or '70s or something) and it's been there for a long time. AFROTC is the biggest program, and the Navy and Marines have sort of subordinate programs attached to another school's program.

If I had to guess any such firings had more to do with outraged conservatives than anything else.

Also, I find it amusing that the ethnic makeup of that ROTC is almost the exact same (though smaller) as UMD's. Bunch of white guys, token Asian dude, token women, token hispanic.