• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

My Thoughts On The Upcoming "Journey"

Little_Sparrow

Hero of Skill
Reaction score
okay guys, so there has been a lot of talk on disappointment in fable lately. And i agree! first of all there has been a little too much hate on fable 2, so let me start off by defending it. Seriously??!?! fable 2 was epic! yeah the spell system was a little weak, but you get used to it. It brought a whole new meaning to the word rpg, and certainly to thought on fable. They spent a lot of time into fable 2, designing a 5 star rating to everything as far as clothing, to houses. They gave us so much freedom, ability to be evil, but pure, good but corrupt ect.

And when renting out houses, we no longer had to go outside the house to see if there was money outside of it (repetitive and tedious) the dyes, the tatoos, everything about that game was a masterpiece. It was like giving the knights and dragons and epicness of the first game an upgrade in time, to an age of enlightenment. Of pirates, and lords, and demons in the caves.
And it gave an interesting thought to know, you are one of albions last heroes in
existance. A lone wolf, cut from a special cloth ready to change the world.

So dont hate! yeah nothing will ever beat an orignal, but this was a great sequel! and the problem with lionhead, is they dont believe in keeping some of the old. They scrap the old, and make a whole new game entirely. So when someone says: "fable 2 and fable 3 arent fable games" yeah they are, but lionhead is stupid and makes no two games the same.

Enough about that though. lets move on to fable 3. This definatly just wouldnt cut it for the last ounce of hope they had to keep it fable related. Its no longer an rpg its an " action adventure" old peter must be sitting in his mansion laughing his ass off at how all of us fable fans got sucked into this game, with its empty promises and world of glitches. There was so much promise and potential hyped up by him into this game, that when we actually got it, we were left disapointed! they took out so much good wholesome, pure essence of fable and what a good rpg game is, and filled it with cat **** infested with a bowl of fart nuggets.

Now Peter! give your head a shake! this morph system, and huge choices, and everything else you promised was garbage! but to be fair, it did have some high points, i did like the fact that you didnt need to collect the experiance points anymore, yeah it was awesome with all the cool colours, but most of the time in fable 2, when i collected experiance, it would fall through the ground, and as i had to retrieve it, it would take a long time to get up to my hero and would spend too much time trying to pick it up.

but on to fable: the journey. I am honestly scared to see what they have in store for us. Now its becoming side projects like call of duty. Its so chronologically confusing to figure out that mess. Theres Cod 1,2,3,4 then world at war, then black ops, and all that nonsense. Dont pull a call of duty and confuse the **** out of us decent players. MOST OF US ARE JUST KIDS! now peter, you also promised kinect to be involved with fable 3. Another empty promise that wasnt there. Now theres something i actually dont mind you lieing about. Fable is a game where you are always pressing buttons to carve someone up with your sword, to pop them full of lead with your dragonstomper .48, or to charge up a spell to **** your enemies up. Kinect is way too confusing by itself, let alone design a game where all the nessecery weapons will most likely be scrapped to be replaced with something else. You always say albion is changing, albion is changing. well peter, it doesnt need to! lets get down to the fundementals and start asking the customers what they want, afterall its us that will be playing it the most.

Start off with the basics. Everyone loved the spell system from fable 1, so put that back in! now depending where you go with fable 4, whether you send us another 100 years into the future, or 1000 years back to the old kingdom, is entirely up to you, (personally i would want to hit up the old kingdom) but make it interesting! if you are going to hype us up to be king, make it intense like you promised! we just want the rpg back that we loved so much! your first game had so much time invested into it!

If time is what you need, by all means take it! I personally will certainly wait a few more years if it means that fable will be even more epic than usual, and i am sure everyone would agree to that. ( as long as you guys dont wait as long as valve with the long awaited half life episode 3)

so fable: the journey, i dont even have to play it to know its going to suck.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
The 2 things that turn me off the most about Fable: The Journey, is the fact it's such a dumbed down game for the casual masses that it could only possibly keep me entertained for an hour or two before never being touched again. The other reason being that one has to shell out $150 (retail) for a peripheral just to be able to enjoy the game on top of its $50 price tag, that's a $200 investment! No thank you, Peter.

Tried to get into Fable 2 and I just couldn't. The menu was a sluggish mess, the enemies were painfully easy, and the NPC interactions were just embarrassing. Fable 3 was more of the same, but I did somewhat enjoy the interactive sanctuary, decent world map, and some of the character personalities.

I don't know what to expect from Fable 4 at this point other than some abominable hybrid of Journey & Fable 3. I wish they'd start fresh from scratch, rebuild the game and take all the things that worked from TLC, II, III, and for once take the time to listen to their fans to see what they actually want in gameplay (after all, we're the ones keeping them in business).

Little_Sparrow

Hero of Skill
Reaction score
Tried to get into Fable 2 and I just couldn't. The menu was a sluggish mess, the enemies were painfully easy, and the NPC interactions were just embarrassing. Fable 3 was more of the same, but I did somewhat enjoy the interactive sanctuary, decent world map, and some of the character personalities.
What are you talking about? the menu in fable 2 is like a sister to the lost chapters. Whats wrong with it? i thought it was annoying as hell to go to the sanctuary and hear that stupid butler if i just want to put a different suit on!
and that map sucked! it was the worst map i have ever seen! it was unreliable to tell you where you are or where you are going, and i had to rely on memory to find places due to that ****ty map.

Fable tlc had a great map because it could tell you where you are on the mini map and you could teleport with your guildseal, downside was is not every place in albion had a cullis gate so u would have to go to the nearest place. What i liked about the fable 2 map was you could fast travel anywhere in any location. you wanna go to the bar in bloodstone? no problem go to bloodstone, then waterfront, and your right outside it.

And your complaint for the enemies? fable 3 byfar had the easiest enemies. Walter took me a few shots from my dragonstomer .48 as a last boss. now you could come back and say oh well lucien was a joke for a boss. I would even consider him a boss. He was just a douche with lots of peeps to back him up. It was the journey getting to him that was hard work. And i found fable a pretty easy game too. the only enemies i really had minor difficulty with were ice trolls from northern wastes.

Never talk **** about fable 2. That game ( as well as tlc) is my champion.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Little_Sparrow said:
Never talk s*** about fable 2. That game ( as well as tlc) is my champion.

.. Yeah, I'll criticize about whatever I want on here. That's what these forums are for, pal.

What are you talking about? the menu in fable 2 is like a sister to the lost chapters. Whats wrong with it? i thought it was annoying as hell to go to the sanctuary and hear that stupid butler if i just want to put a different suit on!
and that map sucked! it was the worst map i have ever seen! it was unreliable to tell you where you are or where you are going, and i had to rely on memory to find places due to that ****ty map.

I found the menu in Fable 2 to be sluggish, cluttered, and clumsy. Scrolling through an inventory of God knows how many damn items was a pain, especially since you couldn't jump through them quickly and had to go 1-by-1. Throw on top of that an awful menu lag and you've got one of the worst menus I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

The map in Fable 3 worked just fine for me, I was always able to get to where I needed to go. Jasper didn't really bother me as most the time I didn't pay any attention to the guy. I didn't mind the sanctuary (though tedious at times), except for when it would glitch up (like everything else in the game) during co-op sessions.

Like I said, I found these aspects somewhat enjoyable, doesn't mean I thought it was good or great.

Little_Sparrow said:
Fable tlc had a great map because it could tell you where you are on the mini map and you could teleport with your guildseal, downside was is not every place in albion had a cullis gate so u would have to go to the nearest place. What i liked about the fable 2 map was you could fast travel anywhere in any location. you wanna go to the bar in bloodstone? no problem go to bloodstone, then waterfront, and your right outside it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you could still do that in Fable 3. You could fast travel to whichever town you wanted, but not an exact spot within the town and then you would fast travel to various business/residential lots such as a tavern, blacksmith, house, etc. and could even fast travel to your quest giver.

Little_Sparrow said:
And your complaint for the enemies? fable 3 byfar had the easiest enemies. Walter took me a few shots from my dragonstomer .48 as a last boss. now you could come back and say oh well lucien was a joke for a boss. I would even consider him a boss. He was just a douche with lots of peeps to back him up. It was the journey getting to him that was hard work. And i found fable a pretty easy game too. the only enemies i really had minor difficulty with were ice trolls from northern wastes.

Honestly, the Fable series as a whole is not all that challenging. Being able to sit back and glide through enemies all the time with minimal effort turned me off, and further aided in the boredom I accumulated from the games.

Fable: TLC wasn't perfect, but it had an excellent foundation for what should have been a great franchise, but instead went to complete mush.

Little_Sparrow

Hero of Skill
Reaction score
I found the menu in Fable 2 to be sluggish, cluttered, and clumsy. Scrolling through an inventory of God knows how many damn items was a pain, especially since you couldn't jump through them quickly and had to go 1-by-1. Throw on top of that an awful menu lag and you've got one of the worst menus I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

The map in Fable 3 worked just fine for me, I was always able to get to where I needed to go. Jasper didn't really bother me as most the time I didn't pay any attention to the guy. I didn't mind the sanctuary (though tedious at times), except for when it would glitch up (like everything else in the game) during co-op sessions.

Like I said, I found these aspects somewhat enjoyable, doesn't mean I thought it was good or great
Now i dont want to come across like i HATE fable 3, in fact im in the same boat as you where i like it, but it just doesnt live up to the standards of what Fable stands for. And fabe 3 just seems rushed, and a cheap money grabber. I could get anywhere i wanted with the map, but it was off pure memory. When i first played it i often explored areas to get a feel of where i was. And i will stand by what i said before. Love the menu for fable 2

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Now i dont want to come across like i HATE fable 3, in fact im in the same boat as you where i like it, but it just doesnt live up to the standards of what Fable stands for. And fabe 3 just seems rushed, and a cheap money grabber. I could get anywhere i wanted with the map, but it was off pure memory. When i first played it i often explored areas to get a feel of where i was.
I agree, the game did feel rushed and the dumbing down of things to appeal to a wider audience didn't help either. I really do find it baffling for what exactly did they put all their development time & resources into, because it sure wasn't in quality assurance.

Seriously, us fans are not free beta testers, properly bug test the game before release Lionhead.

And i will stand by what i said before. Love the menu for fable 2
Cool with me man, to each his own.

r5v3n

Indifferent Member
Reaction score
Let's just hope to hell that the game plays out well...

Hvalek

Reaction score
So I just registered today, I've been a long time fan of fable since the first game, I had wonderful memories of playing fable after school with my father and we were so excited when fable 2 co-op came out and we could finally play together. He isn't with us to play fable 3 but if he was here he'd be furious about the downhill quality of the Fable series. I loved the character creation system and how you could make choices that other games didn't have, especially when fable 1st came out. fable 2 was good on some quality's and horrible on others. fable 3 sucked, the DLC were over-priced and I somewhat regret buying them, especially understone. and I cryed during the trailer of fable: The Journey the story line, from my point of view looked liked fable 3's storyline turned upside down. I wanted to put a ax throw my xbox when I heard it won't have melee. What the...!!!! isn't fable all about the 3 "elements" 1. strength
2. skill 3.will. and I loved Monty python and thought the humor was funny and delightful, I loved John Cleese as Jasper after a while I started to quote Reaver and Jasper to my friends. (Stephen fry is awesome too) so the adult humor is out which just about kills the game for me. but i've stuck with the fable series for so long and I will give this game a try, however I think I speak for a bunch of fable fans if this game sucks it might kill fable and Lionhead. I'm giving you one more shot Peter please don't abuse it. and on the other side of this fable has eaten up many of my weekends and I still love to play fable tlc. so Peter please remember your fans

smiller350

Reaction score
If its Kinect only,it will fail...miserably.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use a controler instaed of kinect as i dont have it nor have any disare to have it.

DarkONI

The Shadow Modder
Premium
Reaction score
cept people get bored of dancing around like a fairy and talking to their concole like a mental case!
You forgot we are talking about a Molyneux-influenced game. You can come back from the pub, drunk as **** while you puke and still beat the game. At least, that is how he put it.