• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Need help With Fable Explorer, CBox, etc.

Dillon1986

Reaction score
Trying to install some mods, first time with modding fable. When I open FE it freezes right when it starts. And the splash screen stays on, I have to end task.

Installed Shadow Net and chocolate box and when I click them they both don't even start up just chocolate box stopped working, windows finding solution

Running Windows 7 (64)

whats up. thx :blink:

Lenop

Boyish member
Reaction score
There could be a number of problems. In the short time I've been on the modding forums I've found that the most common problem is a Vista/Windows 7 issue. Check this out. Very important to remember to delete that virtual store.

Next up is prerequisites, or prerequisite conflicts. The big one here is MSVC++ runtimes. The best way to handle this one is to open up control panel and uninstall everything that says Microsoft Visual C++ 2005, 2008 and 2010. Don't worry, you're reinstalling them. Just the latest versions. 2005, 2008 and 2010. Download and install both x86 and x64 versions. As it happens, this will make your entire computing experience better.

After that is DirectX. These runtimes will have you covered.

Lastly, .net Framework. ChocolateBox and earlier versions of FableExplorer require 2.0 SP1. ShadowNet requires 3.0 or 3.5 I think. Getting 3.5+ should take care of all your needs, I'd recommend uninstalling all .net Framework installs you have and just installing the latest 3.5 or 4.0.

Not all of this is wholly necessary, as I'm sure you just have one of these problems or the other. However there is no harm in doing all of these things.