• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New vBulletin Features: MySpace Style Social Bookmarking and Social Networking *56k*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve
New vBulletin Features: MySpace Style Social Bookmarking and Social Networking *56k*

The lovely group over at vBulletin.com (and the developers behind this awesome forum software) are currently beavering away at a new version of vBulletin, v3.7. And it's beginning to look very shexay indeed. I'll highlight some of the more interesting looking features that stand out for me since the list of updates is pretty extensive and the majority of which benefit the staff and administrators mainly.

I'm sure that some of the MySpace users here will enjoy some of the new features, too:

============================================

1. Enhanced vBulletin Buddy List System
"As part of our new social networking system, users can now request that people on their buddy list confirm their friendship, after which time a person's list of confirmed friends will be viewable to other users."

friends-edit.png

2. vBulletin Personal Profile Commenting
"While private messages between users have been in vBulletin since version 2.0, vBulletin 3.7 introduces the public messaging system, allowing users to communicate publicly via their profile pages."

public-messages-profile.png

3. vBulletin Photo Galleries
"vBulletin users can now create albums and upload pictures to their account."

album-show-album.png

"The ability to view these albums and pictures can be limited by the user to just board staff and people on their buddy list if they want privacy."

album-show-picture.png

4. User-Created Social Networking Groups
"To further social cohesion between users and to encourage people to make friends, vBulletin now includes a facility to allow users to create their own social/interest groups. These groups are enhanced by having their own public messaging system, and the ability to add pictures to the group from user albums."

social-groups.png

social-groups-messages-and-pictures.png

*I think the whole social networking groups sounds really interesting. It means we could perhaps start creating Fable based guilds such as Will users, good and evil usergroups. I dunno. I'm sure we can come up with something!*

5. Revamped Profile Page Layout
"In order to accomodate all the new features in vBulletin 3.7, the member profile page has been completely redesigned from the ground up.

The new page presents information in a far cleaner and more logical manner, while dividing up information into manageable chunks using a tabbed interface.

Individual profile field categories can be displayed alone in blocks in the right column, in addition to appearing by default in the 'About Me' tab."

new-memberinfo-b.png

6. MySpace Style Profile Personalization
"The administrator may choose to allow his members to use the profile page customization tool, which allows users to alter fonts, colors, background and borders etc. of their profile page in order to create a more personalized look.

The administrator can lock-down customization permissions, in order to prevent the personalized pages being made too offensively awful by aesthetically challenged members... nobody wants to see some of those really ugly MySpace pages on your vBulletin installation!"

full-memberinfo-compare.png

customize-profile-memberinfo-b.png

I'll definitely be coughing up the cash to renew our vBulletin license in order to update to the latest version so you guys can enjoy the brand new social bookmarking and social networking features.

Full details over at the official vBulletin website can be found here.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Re: New vBulletin Features: MySpace Style Social Bookmarking and Social Networking *

Wondered how long it would be before they incorporated Social Networking into Vbulletin. With it being so big these days i thought it could be with a future update though they have done it sooner than i expected. Seems like a significant update to me.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Re: New vBulletin Features: MySpace Style Social Bookmarking and Social Networking *

Looks sweet - kinda Facebook in layout and a good idea to jump on the social bandwagon...

The personalization customization looks good too and the ability to lockdown may well prove invaluable considering My Space can be unbelievably ugly sometimes :lol:

Triz

Woot! Food =)
Reaction score

Well, I think it's a WONDERFUL idea!

L

LionHeadTex

Awesome, it seems like a cool asset to the forum!:lol: Don't know if I would use it personally...but it seems really cool.

D

Dr_PsychoMW

Looks awesome, another forum I am on features this update, it works greatly.

RedBullKid

Premium
Reaction score

Certainly looks like a worthwhile update to me.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

What? Are we going to have FableSpace?

Status
Not open for further replies.