• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

No Bows in Fable 2

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score
No Bows in Fable 2

000_1820.JPG

A recent Blog entry by Sam at Lionhead has confirmed the fact that the regular Bow will not be in Fable 2

He has said however that there will be crossbows and they have increased the number of ranged weapons in the game. I'm thinking Cannons might be a possibility :lol:
What ranged weapon do you think there will be in Fable 2 considering why Sam said there won't be bows

Here the blog in it's entirety from Fable 2 Development
This is from a forum post I made last week, I figured it needed to be posted in this blog as well.

I've started playing Fable 2 recently, and it's during times like these that you discover and find out a lot of new things about the game. Now, I think I'm quite privileged to get this opportunity, most of you won't be able to play the game until it's finished - so it's only fair for me to report on my findings by means of community updates, video diaries and of course, posts like these on forums. Of course, there are always the PR overlords looking over my shoulder but bleh...most of the time I just ignore them.
emotion-5.gif

So what's the reason for this post, I can hear you ask. Well, my friends, I have to give you a small update on the topic of bows in Fable 2, after finding out that there has been a slight change in the design. Bows just don't work in Fable 2 and so, there won't be any in the final game (OK, never say never, but at the moment there won't be any bows, and if it changes, I'll let you know).

Bows just don't work in Fable 2, for numerous reasons. Probably the most important reason why not, is that it's just silly. These aren't the composite bows that we have now (anno 21st century), these are quite basic wooden long- or short bows. Now, it's one thing to have ranged combat in Fable 1 with bows and taking out a bandit from afar, but when that same bandit in Fable 2 has a steel blunderbuss shooting at you, a wooden arrow just doesn't really cut it. Crossbows are a different story, they are much more accurate and powerful, so they are still in Fable 2 (and we can also technically advance them). We've increased the number of ranged combat weapons that we have (so it's not just guns) but none of them futuristic models of course, all based on models that fit the setting, theme and time of Fable 2. I found that most of the time when I pulled out my bow and tried shooting a bandit from a distance, he'd pull out his blunderbuss and just take me out in a few shots, while I was still trying to aim with my silly little bow! Ha ha ha....
emotion-2.gif

So yeah, they don't work and won't make it into Fable 2. That was my small update for the day!
emotion-1.gif

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
Re: No Bows in Fable 2

It still might be subject to change. He said it himself. :shifty:

R

Rhadiel

hmm...i cant really think of any other long ranged weps besides guns and bows, except throwing knives, and shuriken, and whips, and bombs lol.

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

§ephiroxa§;140089 said:
It still might be subject to change. He said it himself. :shifty:
True enough but I think it's pretty definite based on what he said

Rhadiel;140091 said:
hmm...i cant really think of any other long ranged weps besides guns and bows, except throwing knives, and shuriken, and whips, and bombs lol.
Explosives would be cool. Maybe they'll put in the ones that were only in the code in TLC as well as the slow time and lightning ones

Z

Zingo

Aw, man. Well I get to use the crossbows...

Ah, shuriken. That'd be great!

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

I agree with him and the bows in the longbow style just would not fit with the theme of the game or be very practical. Im glad they are not including them as they can concentrate on putting others in instead,

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

[Scream of disgusted agony] Now that that's out of the way, I can only say oh, well. I still think that the advantage in ROF longbows have over early guns and crossbows would make them worth it, but what can I say?

I still dream of artillery, and I also still think that some throwing weapons would be cool. The big problem I see with throwing weapons is balancing how many you can carry.

I can't decide how realistic I want the guns to be, though. Realistically slow rate of fire and horrible accuracy; or accurate and quick-firing and to hell with any technological/quasi-historical accuracy.

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

I'm more concernd with the balance between Melee, Ranged and Magical Combat. So long as you still need all of them equally. I'll be happy. Would be interesting to see how they handle ammo with the guns as well as "other" ranged weapons.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Point. Maybe they'll ignore it like they did in 1.

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

I hope so. Keeping up with ammo isn't really that much fun, but the could always make ammo easy to get.

andythegill

I have a cunning plan
Reaction score

Put it this way, an arrow AND a speeding bullet will both pretty much kill you so I've no idea why he says bows just wont cut it, they look cool, they're silent and they feel and cool to fire.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

andythegill;140158 said:
Put it this way, an arrow AND a speeding bullet will both pretty much kill you so I've no idea why he says bows just wont cut it, they look cool, they're silent and they feel and cool to fire.

Can still use arrows... but out of a crossbow with a faster rate of fire. =]

J

Jester.

meh i think you could infact have a better chance with like a longbow or so because you could side step and make the gun user fire a shot and (At that time) then he would have to reload a fairly slow process which would allow you to use your bow to kill him

least i think so

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Jester.;140167 said:
meh i think you could infact have a better chance with like a longbow or so because you could side step and make the gun user fire a shot and (At that time) then he would have to reload a fairly slow process which would allow you to use your bow to kill him

least i think so

Like i said before... wouldnt a crossbow still be the better deal. Not as long of a range on it but thats why you have a gun, surely a crossbow would be the better choice for firing fast.

andythegill

I have a cunning plan
Reaction score

No actually, ok yes but only a few are fast loaders thats a common mistake folks make, a bow would be a better choice, lander range and more agile where as a crossbow has accuracy but is clunky.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

andythegill;140173 said:
No actually, ok yes but only a few are fast loaders thats a common mistake folks make, a bow would be a better choice, lander range and more agile where as a crossbow has accuracy but is clunky.

In the real world few are but this is the game world where they all are. =]

Albion Knight

Premium
Reaction score

I just think bows are cool and with magic it could be more powerful than a gun.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

*imagining chickens being fired out of cannons*

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

Ah, yes, the perfectly applied interjection to get everyone back to the real task-- imagining the most ludicrously lethal weaponry. It's a gift, Angel, truly a gift.

But yeah, crossbows aren't exactly the easiest weapons to relaod, are they? You have to wind them, get the bolt it, and fire, right? Not much better than guns at this point.

Orpheus Lupus

The Pretty-Okay Doctor
Reaction score

As someone who actually has loaded a crossbow and knows enough about history to know that the primary function of a crossbow was to be fired and then dropped (if you tried to reload, chances are the enemy would stroll up to you and chop off your head at his leasure) and considering how long longbows were used very effectively after guns were first invented (ask a explorer about how rapidly Native Americans fired theres...) and considering how long it took for repeating crossbows to be invented, this makes no sense to me whatsoever. XP