• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Peter Molyneux leaves Lionhead

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
e3-2011-peter-molyneux-interview-part-1.jpg
Well after news that some key staff had left Lionhead to create their own studio which I posted about here. Then the Lionhead Forums being closed down which was posted about by Marcodian Elite in a thread here. It seems Lionhead have been struck another blow and after 15 years Peter Molyneux has left the company and Microsoft. He issued a statement earlier which said the following:

I have left the lovely amazing Microsoft and Lionhead. Now for something really amazing, scary and brave a new company called 22 Cans. It is with mixed emotions that I made the decision to leave Microsoft and Lionhead Studios, the company that I co-founded in 1997. I remain extremely passionate and proud of the people, products and experiences that we created, from Black & White to Fable to our pioneering work with Milo and Kate for the Kinect platform. However, I felt the time was right to pursue a new independent venture. I'd like to thank the team at Lionhead, as well as our partners at Microsoft Studios for their support, dedication and incredible work over the years.
Microsoft added the following:
As co-founder of Lionhead and an integral part of Microsoft Studios, Peter was the creative visionary behind the blockbuster Fable franchise, and one of our most passionate and influential developers for the Xbox 360 platform. He has made an indelible mark on the games industry and we wish him all the best of luck in his future endeavors

Marcodian Elite

Reaction score
No way......I know people are going to be posting that Fable might actually get better now Peter isnt messing with it, but I still find it a blow...and very surprised about, actually I'd be surprised to find out about any co-founder of a company leaving it!​

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Comes at a bad time with other key staff leaving at the same time and someone is going to have to step into the roles.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

On a serious note: Just because he's gone, it doesn't mean he hasn't left his legacy behind. The Fable series is still leading in the same direction, and that's to the sh*ts. We just can't blame him anymore. Bon voyage Molyneux - I'll kinda miss you, you overly-enthusiastic, bald-headed, sexy beast of a man.

Marcodian Elite

Reaction score
He's going to have to make a damn good first impression to get the fan base behind him, to try and move away from the Shadow of Peter.
With everything going into admin. these days It wouldn't be to much of a stretch of the imagination to think that key figures are leaving while they still have the option to and not to have to be forced out because of a closing company.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
With everything going into admin. these days It wouldn't be to much of a stretch of the imagination to think that key figures are leaving while they still have the option to and not to have to be forced out because of a closing company.

Thats the worrying thing and Fable: The Journey and Fable Heroes arent being created for free and the overall community reaction to them has been rather negative. So im not expecting large sales for either titles (though one is an XBLA title so not expected to sell huge amounts) just hope they arent going to alienate the communities even more and cost the company a lot of money.

Marcodian Elite

Reaction score
Thats the worrying thing and Fable: The Journey and Fable Heroes arent being created for free and the overall community reaction to them has been rather negative. So im not expecting large sales for either titles (though one is an XBLA title so not expected to sell huge amounts) just hope they arent going to alienate the communities even more and cost the company a lot of money.

Thats what I was thinking myself, their hasnt really been any material from them let alone a new game, and with whats being released - 1 being XBLA and the other seeming to be connect only, it's worrying that they are releasing what might be something that puts the nail in the coffin.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking myself, their hasnt really been any material from them let alone a new game, and with whats being released - 1 being XBLA and the other seeming to be connect only, it's worrying that they are releasing what might be something that puts the nail in the coffin.

Yeah one is Kinect exclusive so has only a limited userbase of gamers who could play it and even some of those arent interested. The other is a XBLA game which also has a limited userbase to people who have internet access to download it, Gold membership to play it and the ability to purchase things on the marketplace.

Azer249

Reaction score
Untitled-47.png

Wait.. Wrong occasion he isn't dead, let's just say instead of Peter we have a picture of Fable 2/3.

But on a serious note i think this is a shock, i wouldn't expect him to leave the company after all he has tried to do with it, maybe its similar to Bungie when they handed Halo over, he's hoping someone else can do some magic with 'his' game franchise. Still, we won't know if it's for the better or for the worst until the next Fable game comes out, if one ever does.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
This is a shame because I was very much enjoying the inverse relationship between the quality of Fable games and the recession of his hairline. I will never know how bad Fable would have been when he achieved a baldness rating of 4.0.

So long Peter. May the continued exposure of your noodle continue to show in all of your future games.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Lionhead need someone like Todd Howard to be their spokesperson. Young, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and likeable and gets points across without hyping without substance.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
My perception of the world just crumbled into dust....

Tyloric

Illogical Process of Elimination
Reaction score
So we can just pretty much shut Project Ego down now. Game over, man. Game over.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Going to go and pray at my Bethesda shrine that nothing ever happens to them.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
22 cans...is that codename for hobo?

Really I didn't see this coming, feels pretty weird actually. All I can wonder now is where the franchise will go, or if it will even continue for much longer. Well, all the best for him in his future endeavors.

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
I cry & laugh. Not for Lionhead, but for this community if Fable Heroes is to be the last Fable game there wont be much of an upsurge in members flocking here.

And I couldn't picture my evening without all of you beautifully perverted people.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I cry & laugh. Not for Lionhead, but for this community if Fable Heroes is to be the last Fable game there wont be much of an upsurge in members flocking here.

And I couldn't picture my evening without all of you beautifully perverted people.

I'd be sad too, but I'm sure we'll manage to adapt. Move to another franchise maybe.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
I'd love to hear some of Steve's thoughts on how this might affect the community.

Most of us are here even though we don't really play Fable any more, so another game we all like could be adapted if/when the Fable well starts running dry.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I'd love to hear some of Steve's thoughts on how this might affect the community.

Most of us are here even though we don't really play Fable any more, so another game we all like could be adapted if/when the Fable well starts running dry.

Part of me is feeling rather tingly over the thought of us being an Elder Scrolls forum.