• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

[Poll]:: Pride and You

Which?

• Total voters

ssjcb1186

Hypocritical Bitch
Reaction score
Re: [Poll]:: Pride and You

FableAddict;435150 said:
what does that mean?

It's nothing...don't worry about it :)

Necromancer11;435255 said:
Ignorance is a terrible plight on our world. Some say that ignorance is bliss. That may be true for an ignorant person, but their ignorance is anything but blissful to the rest of the world. People's lack of knowledge about certain things (mainly world issues) only ends up hurting those that shouldn't be hurt.

Aw :(

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

MrNoob

Reaver's Fanatic
Premium
Reaction score

I am proud of my Sexuality. I am bisexual, and even though I've only told some of my closest friends, I am proud of it.

I am proud of my friends. Just 2 years ago I was lonely and had almost no friends. For the past 2 years I've been working hard to get more friends, and it's been working. I love having so many more friends and it just makes life so much better.

I am proud of my family. I come from a family of Polish and Turkish, who migrated to Israel. My great great grandfather's cousin won a noble prize in medicine (Paul Ehrlich) which, even though it's sort of far off from my family, I still consider something to be proud of.

White_Howler

Werewolf Sage
Reaction score

I'm not proud of much, but there are a few things.

Heritage/family: Let's make this clear, I am not proud of my family. They are ****ed up in many ways that I do not care to describe. My biological father ditched me an my mum when I was 1 year old. I chose this one as I have 1/8th of my blood as Native American, and I am VERY proud of that blood. They are a proud people and I hate to see what they've become.

Sexuality: I am bisexual, and damn proud of it, although I tend to keep it to myself much of the time. People are very unaccepting, and frankly, I don't feel the need to strike up a conversation with someone and go "oh yea I'm bi!" No, doesn't work like that lol.

Friends: This is an interesting one, because I have only 3 true friends, Sephi included. One of my true friends lives in Florida, and I live in Maine... so that sucks. But my best friend lives here and we've been friends for so long he's more like my brother than anything. I do NOT have many friends, but the friends I do have are truly loyal, trustworthy, respectful, and honest with me. And those 4 things create something I call Honor. another thing I am proud of but is not listed. I have a sense of honor.

Humanity: Double edged for me. Humans are capable of such great good, but so too are capable of such great evils. It does my heart good to see people rise above all the **** and prove themselves a truly good human being. On the flipside we have serial killers/rapists and the like... I really do hate humanity on the whole, but I am also quite proud of it, if nothing else for our endless potential.

I have weird views no?

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

I'll do mine in a bit I have a feeling some people might anticipate my answers. (could be wrong though. ;))

Wonderfoole WINO

Schizoid Misanthopist
Reaction score

Non of the above.

[youtube]xDgmjL6z2jY[/youtube]

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

It's a shame almost nobody is proud of their culture...

ssjcb1186

Hypocritical Bitch
Reaction score

I'm glad to see that "Friends" is the highest...but not that the "Self" is third...but I think I'm just being cynical...

...eh

Reaction score

ssjcb1186;435938 said:
I'm glad to see that "Friends" is the highest...but not that the "Self" is third...but I think I'm just being cynical...

...eh

It does people good to be proud of themselves from time to time, it's a sign of good self esteem. Having an ego is perfectly normal and natural, it is the driving force behind ambition and achievment.

As long as Pride of the Self is kept in check and does not descent into arrogance and excess, I don't see the problem with it.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

I'm mostly proud of my heritage. I'm part Scottish,Irish, and English. I'm also considered an Australian citizen as my mum was born in Australia.

My Scottish family are from the MacKintosh Clan of Scotland and my grandad is related to the Earl of Murray cousin to Queen Mary of Scots.

I love my heritage! :D

White_Howler

Werewolf Sage
Reaction score

American culture is lame. It's 90% bibleness, and I don't believe in it so what is there for me to be proud of. I believe more in native American spiritual beliefs than most other things. Not to mention America is the douchebag of the world... Really, no reason to be proud of either country or culture, as America also has a history of prejudice and segregation. More reasons for me to be ashamed of my country and culture. Many Americans (go down south where people still hang the confederate flag), there's still plenty of racism and overall prejudice.

I'm sure people from other countries have reason to have pride in their culture/country... but I think most will agree America is nothing to be proud of.

ssjcb1186

Hypocritical Bitch
Reaction score

SelfAppointedGunslinger;435982 said:
It does people good to be proud of themselves from time to time, it's a sign of good self esteem. Having an ego is perfectly normal and natural, it is the driving force behind ambition and achievment.

As long as Pride of the Self is kept in check and does not descent into arrogance and excess, I don't see the problem with it.

Yes and I agree with you, but people tend to go to the arrogance stage pretty quickly...if only for a bit until people knock them down off that pedestal they made out of plywood and rubber nails.

I just have an unnaturally strong disposition toward boasting and pride because I've witnessed many a time when people needlessly compete for...something...and they look retarded. I've, unfortunately, done it, but I'm over it now.

I guess the same thing can be said about Humility as well: if you focus on other people and their achievements then people will see you a brighter light. But too much can lead to self-defeating tendencies.

ssjcb1186;435130 said:
FableAddict;435127 said:
1. me- there have been times where people tried to put me down, tell me to kill myself but im proud that i did not punch them in the face for it/follow their advice. Wellll one time i did punch someone in the face but he was really ****ing me off.

3. Religion- Im a Christian (Baptist) and pround of it!

...Oh

ssjcb1186;435463 said:
Necromancer11;435255 said:
Ignorance is a terrible plight on our world. Some say that ignorance is bliss. That may be true for an ignorant person, but their ignorance is anything but blissful to the rest of the world. People's lack of knowledge about certain things (mainly world issues) only ends up hurting those that shouldn't be hurt.

Aw :(

Alright...instead of "trolling" unnecessary and unhelpful comments I'll just say what I was going to say but didn't want to say to avoid conflict but thought it'd be good that you both knew I had some sort of disposition toward what you said.

FA: I just thought that being an aggressive/violent (if only in your mind) Christian was ironic.

Nec: I tend to excuse Ignorance because it's not really their fault if no one ever told them. And why do people need to know of the woes of this world? It really is sad and I tend to not think/learn about any of it because it's a little depressing :( I have yet to see those people who don't know of world issues hurt someone else because of it. But I don't doubt that you've had some experience with that.

However, if they have uneducated opinions on the subject and come across as "knowing the truth," then, yes, that is a problem.

Now, exceptions would be when they should know something...like how to drive or walk in a crowd or talk to people. If they don't know how to do something or don't know about something that I know well and it seems to be a "normal" thing to know, I don't think it's fair to chastise them for it or be condescending (that I already expressed my dislike for).

And I can't say that "you shouldn't be annoyed" or "you can't feel that way" because that is ethically wrong if not morally wrong. Which is why I wrote the comment that I wrote (which was ":( Aw"). I accept and understand your point, however, and respect your opinion...I was just sharing my own on what you said :)

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score

My choices:

1.) Yourself: I thought this'd be obvious. I'm proud of the somewhat warped and insane individual I am. I like the stupidly insane things I do, and I wouldn't stop that for anything. I also like to think I am, underneath my exterior (and I mean deep down, I'd save my own skin before anyone elses) I am fiercley loyal, to my closest friends at least.

2.) Clique: I guess I'm a Gamer/Metalhead/Myself. The last category is my ounce of me I just had to put in...

3.) Friends: The crazy stuff I do is amplified when my closest friends join in... what fun is w*nking in the cinema (IT WAS OVER HALEY BENNETT, OK??), prank calling Garages and asking if they'd do MOT's on tanks and Not Crossing the Streams be without friends? I'm proud of being friends with them and wouldn't change it for anything :D

Drew2686

Nap time is before pants time.
Reaction score

The thing about American culture is that it's everyone else's culture. America is called the melting pot for a reason, and as such nothing defines a truly "American" culture so much as that it is a conglomeration of all different ones.

Well, except for consumerism, greed, and obesity of course ;).

America also has a history of prejudice and segregation
But haven't most or all other countries also had these problems? What most people forget is that America as it's seen is only ~233 years old. The other countries that people see as better have been established for easily many more centuries or a couple millenia; they've worked out the kinks long ago that America is still being dumb with.

White_Howler

Werewolf Sage
Reaction score

Drew2686;436114 said:
The thing about American culture is that it's everyone else's culture. America is called the melting pot for a reason, and as such nothing defines a truly "American" culture so much as that it is a conglomeration of all different ones.

Well, except for consumerism, greed, and obesity of course ;).

But haven't most or all other countries also had these problems? What most people forget is that America as it's seen is only ~233 years old. The other countries that people see as better have been established for easily many more centuries or a couple millenia; they've worked out the kinks long ago that America is still being dumb with.

I can't disagree with this, America is still a very young country compared to the rest of the world. It IS the melting pot, but we've got the "natives" who don't want it to be anything but what it has been for the past 200 years. No offense, but America has largely been a Christian based community, based on forcing a proud people (who were here first) out of their homes through trickery, deceit, and sometimes violence.

Most other countries didn't found themselves through lies and blood. While other countries may have lies and blood IN their history, most of them have been there.... for a VERY long time... so even if they did found themselves on blood and lies, it's been a very long time so your point still stands that we are young. But we also stick our noses in foreign affairs, often with guns, when we really don't need to.

I guess my ending statement is America tries to play at world police and often spends way too much time outside national lines when there's a battle to be fought on the home front.

I guess it also ****es me off that I'm French and Native American, so my lineage is based on rape.

Drew2686

Nap time is before pants time.
Reaction score

:lol:

Agreed.

No offense, but America has largely been a Christian based community,
None taken; I dislike/find entertaining all religions equally for a variety of reasons! ;) Being an anthropologist has that affect over time...

I guess my ending statement is America tries to play at world police and often spends way too much time outside national lines when there's a battle to be fought on the home front.
It's comparable to being the teenager who thinks he knows everything better than "those old fogies" and so tries to do it that way; in a few cases he might even be right and the help is appreciated, but most times those that are wiser just shake their heads at the antics.

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

HobbeBrain;436101 said:
My choices:

1.) Yourself: I thought this'd be obvious. I'm proud of the somewhat warped and insane individual I am. I like the stupidly insane things I do, and I wouldn't stop that for anything. I also like to think I am, underneath my exterior (and I mean deep down, I'd save my own skin before anyone elses) I am fiercley loyal, to my closest friends at least.

2.) Clique: I guess I'm a Gamer/Metalhead/Myself. The last category is my ounce of me I just had to put in...

3.) Friends: The crazy stuff I do is amplified when my closest friends join in... what fun is w*nking in the cinema (IT WAS OVER HALEY BENNETT, OK??), prank calling Garages and asking if they'd do MOT's on tanks and Not Crossing the Streams be without friends? I'm proud of being friends with them and wouldn't change it for anything :D
That's just weird...