• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Re-Texturing for Dummies

H

HodgePodge

Re-Texturing for Dummies

Well, I was browsing the forums, and a lot of people expressed interest in a retexturing guide. So here it is. Note: This guide does not explain how to use programs like photoshop, GIMP, and paint.net, it simply explains how to extract textures from FE and import textures into FE.

1. You are going to need Fable Explorer found here: Fable: The Lost Chapters Mod Scene: Tools => Fable Explorer Beta 4.1 and an image editor, such as The GIMP, which can be found here: GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program You should also familiarize yourself with the image editor before you start retexturing.

2. Open FE(Fable Explorer) and double click on Textures.big in the upper left hand corner. Then click on GBANK MAIN PC.
dummy1.jpg
3. Scroll down in the list that appears on the left hand column, and find the texture that you wish to edit. Now, many people have been unable to find the weapon textures. The first screenshot shows where the armor textures are located, and the second shows where the weapons are located. If you're trying to edit something else, you'll need to find the textures on your own.
dummy2.jpg
dummy3.jpg
4.Double click on the texture. The following window will come up.
dummy4.jpg
5. Look at the small box labeled Alpha. Note what this is set to, and remember it, as it is important later on. Click Save As and save it somewhere that you can find it.
6. Open up the texture in your image editor and edit it. Save the edited texture.
7. Go back to the window from which you clicked Save As and click Open New. A window will come up asking which texture format to use, either DXT1 or DXT3. Remember what the Alpha was set at before you saved the texture? Good. If it was set to 0, choose DXT1 format, and after it loads, change the Alpha box back to 0. If it was set to 1 originally, choose DXT3 and leave the Alpha at 1 after the texture has loaded.
8. You are now ready to go to Actions>Save Mods>and Run Fable. It will take some time for FE to load Fable, and Windows will say that it is Not Responding. Just let it sit. Go get a cup of coffee, and prepare to give me rep ^_^. Hope this guide helped everyone, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. ;) Please post if this guide helped you. :)

NOTE: I highly recommend downloading the .dds plugin for your image editor, as your textures will come out at MUCH higher quality. Here's the link for the Photoshop version, as for the others, a simple Google should get you what you want.

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
Re: Re-Texturing for Dummies

I think I understand a little better now. And when you say click "Load" do you mean Open New? Thanks ^_^ Rep+

H

HodgePodge

O yea, got that confused with meshes *goes to edit posts*

R

Rhadiel

hmmm nice lil guide you got there, plus rep.....and does anyone else think this thread should be stickied?

H

HodgePodge

Thank yyou. And for what it's worth, I think this guide should be stickied :p

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Thread has been stickied as it is quite helpful and +rep for making it.

H

HodgePodge

Thank you Drakan, good to hear that it's appreciated ;)

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

Thanks, I`m going to install Fable again and try a little modding myself because of your guide.

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

+Rep for your efforts Hodge!;)

H

HodgePodge

Mmmmmm rep. It's almost worth the constant hanging, overdosing, and soul sacrificing that I have to do because of this site ;)

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Nice work there Hodge - reppage for you, my friend :D

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

dude thanks so much for writing this. :w00t: dunno if you can tell, but here's my first success. :D

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Sephiroxas;101088 said:
dude thanks so much for writing this. :w00t: dunno if you can tell, but here's my first success. :D

Nice work Markie, i like those.

andythegill

I have a cunning plan
Reaction score

will paint work with re texturing AND can you only use brush if so how do you all do such cool re textures

OldBoy

Reaction score

andythegill;107954 said:
will paint work with re texturing AND can you only use brush if so how do you all do such cool re textures

Yes, paint will work, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'd try Paint.net, which has more options, and is free to use.

RedBullKid

Premium
Reaction score

yes paint will work but its not as good as paint shop pro yeah u can just use brush but again not as good as PSP tools... and well were simply awsome only kidding im an amerture compared to most but people seem to like mine. :D

EDIT: damn beat me to the punch oldboy

H

HodgePodge

Hey guys, just to let ya know, when doing an extreme recolor, I find it easier to simply go into your modelling program, unwrap the UVW and then you have the lines and outline of the texture, and rather than recoloring, your coloring it for the first time :thumbsup:

RedBullKid

Premium
Reaction score

wow +rep for that idea!