• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Rise of The Tomb Raider Xbox One Exclusive

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
rise-of-the-tomb-raider-splash-left.jpg

In the biggest surprise of the Gamescom media briefing so far it has been revealed that Crystal Dynamics next game in the Tomb Raider series (Rise of The Tomb Raider) has been announced as an Xbox One exclusive.

Crystal Dynamics head of studio Darrell Gallagher has taken to tumblr to explain the decision.

Our goal has always been to deliver something truly special with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Today’s announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming. Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011.

We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.

It sounds to me like Crystal Dynamics are getting tired of playing second fiddle to Uncharted.
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...oming-to-ps4-or-pc-crystal-dynamics-confirms/
Rise of the Tomb Raider isn't coming to PS4 or PC, Crystal Dynamics confirms

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
The Tomb Raider reboot was a fantastic game, but as far as I know it failed to reach its sale target. As of now it's sold 6.5 million since its release, and that's spread across 5 consoles. I hope Microsoft paid them enough to make up the difference because I have the feeling this game will sell terribly. Which brings me to this: why say it's due to Microsoft's creative support when clearly it's a financial one?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
The Tomb Raider reboot was a fantastic game, but as far as I know it failed to reach its sale target. As of now it's sold 6.5 million since its release, and that's spread across 5 consoles. I hope Microsoft paid them enough to make up the difference because I have the feeling this game will sell terribly. Which brings me to this: why say it's due to Microsoft's creative support when clearly it's a financial one?

Liked look of it but havent as of yet got around to buying it myself, I think they wanted to distance themselves from Uncharted and Microsoft offered them a get out. They were never going to be the top of the action adventure genre when they were competing directly with Uncharted, this way they can at least be seen as No.1 on at least one console with less competition to them.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Liked look of it but havent as of yet got around to buying it myself, I think they wanted to distance themselves from Uncharted and Microsoft offered them a get out. They were never going to be the top of the action adventure genre when they were competing directly with Uncharted, this way they can at least be seen as No.1 on at least one console with less competition to them.

Problem is, the Uncharted competition will still be there. Unfortunately, TR isn't enough to make me get an Xbox One and I'm still to play Uncharted. If they did a multi-release, myself and any other TR fan would choose TR all the way. Not to mention just... releasing them at different dates.

I just hope they release it on other consoles down the line, even the PC atleast. Ryse was an Xbox One exclusive, but is now seeing a PC release. So fingers crossed.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
*Gets paid millions of dollars for exclusive deal, explains to fans why said deal benefits everyone*

-_- Shut up Crystal Dynamics.

Xbox One has a smaller install base than both PS4 & PC individually, no one time cash-in is going to make up for the lost revenue from a multi-platform release. Let's see how long this lasts.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Phil Spencer has released a statement to say Microsoft DID NOT buy permanent exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider & it will likely come to other platforms but that's Crystal Dynamics choice not Microsofts. It is only a timed deal...

Statement here...

I didn’t buy the IP. I didn’t buy the studio. It’s not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we’ll see what happens with the game. I don’t own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

I don’t own them building Tomb Raider on other platforms. I can’t talk about the franchise that way. I can talk about the deal I have.

I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I’m not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don’t control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don’t know where else Tomb Raider goes.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Phil Spencer has released a statement to say Microsoft DID NOT buy permanent exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider & it will likely come to other platforms but that's Crystal Dynamics choice not Microsofts. It is only a timed deal...

Statement here...

I didn’t buy the IP. I didn’t buy the studio. It’s not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we’ll see what happens with the game. I don’t own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

I don’t own them building Tomb Raider on other platforms. I can’t talk about the franchise that way. I can talk about the deal I have.

I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I’m not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don’t control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don’t know where else Tomb Raider goes.

CD could've saved themselves the major ****storm if they had simply stated so from the very beginning, rather than acting like it was final and insulting fans' intelligence with a phony explanation. The fact they didn't, just makes it look like they're trying to save face by saying it can now suddenly appear on other platforms only after everyone had called them out on it and expressed their hate for them and their decision.

Corporate stupidity at its finest.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
CD could've saved themselves the major ****storm if they had simply stated so from the very beginning, rather than acting like it was final and insulting fans' intelligence with a phony explanation. The fact they didn't, just makes it look like they're trying to save face by saying it can now suddenly appear on other platforms only after everyone had called them out on it and expressed their hate for them and their decision.

Corporate stupidity at its finest.

Thing is it wasn't even them that released the statement it was Phil Spencer who cleared it up.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Microsoft will publish Rise of the Tomb Raider

Square Enix Statement

''Microsoft will be publishing Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox," they said. "Microsoft has always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and they will get behind this game with more support across development, marketing and retail than ever before, which we believe will be a step in continuing to build the Tomb Raider franchise as one of the biggest in gaming.''

Our partnership with Microsoft on Rise of the Tomb Raider does have a duration, but we aren't discussing those details at this time and are focused on collaborating to deliver a great game on Xbox One and Xbox 360.''