• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Only recently been looking into this and DayZ but both have a great concept that intrigues me, my laptop wont run either of them I bet but when I get a PC these are the sort of games that will top my list of first purchases. Games like these that have great attention to detail, realism and genuine challenge intrigue me far more than games with flashy GFX and recycled gameplay that seem to be churned out left right and center.

Rust is the new game by Facepunch studio and creators of the famous Half Life 2 mod 'Garrys Mod'. It is a game where you must gather resources to survive and it is also inspired by DayZ, Minecraft, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl.

From Wikipedia... The player starts with a initial crafting list of items such as weapons, clothing and building materials. As the player progresses throughout the game they can find blueprints for more advanced items to craft. These can be found in hidden crates, on killed NPCs or by researching items taken from other player's bases. During gameplay there are many challenges that the player can face such as starvation, drowning, hypothermia, attacks from wildlife or exposure to radiation from the many radiated areas throughout the island. Due to the game being exclusively multiplayer, PVP is an ever present challenge also.

Has anyone played either this or DayZ, if so what do you think? Both are still very much work in progress so nowhere near finished.​

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of PvP, and DayZ seems to let douchebags run rampart...

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of PvP, and DayZ seems to let douchebags run rampart...

There are a lot of 'griefers' in both Rust and DayZ but if you manage to kill any of them then they lose everything and that character and have to go back to being an unarmed newbie (which would be satisfying). More websites do report on the players who have been kidnapping players, executing players, forcing players to fight each other to the death to 'win' freedom, handcuffing them and force feeding them rotten fruit and bleach because those videos are funny & entertaining to outsiders and to watch. There are also lots of stories of helpful players and friendly encounters that arent reported on as much. I spend a lot of time reading about peoples experiences and watching streams/videos of both games (though I cant run them myself yet) and the sheer panic of the permadeath system scares people into doing things that they normally wouldnt for survival. I find the premise of both games fascinating and would love to be able to try them.

Found this a good read yesterday about Rust...

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Facepunch Studios on Console Development

We recently got some devkits. I want to explain where we are with consoles.. because there’s been a lot of speculation on the forums and on twitter.

So with Rust, we are planning to port it to consoles. We haven’t started that process yet. We’re not planning anything until we’ve tried to get it running on one of the consoles and know what problems we’re going to face. It’s important to emphasise here that we’re porting TO consoles. We’re not making a dumbed down console version and then porting it back to the PC. So might happen, might not. Depends on a bunch of stuff. Either way neither the PS4 or XBone have any kind of early access program as far as I know, so it will be a while away.

The Steam Box has made us a bit more free. We can spend time making games that play awesome on the TV but don’t really shine in front of a PC. It’s not a risk anymore for us. It’s because of Steam Box we feel free to work on games like that. Even if they never reach the other consoles they now have a place on Steam. There’ll still be people who want to play them.

TLDR: We love the PC. It’ll always be our main target. We’ll always be porting away from it, not to it. We won’t ever sign exclusivity deals. You’ll always get our games on the PC first.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
GARRY NEWMAN TAKES RUST BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD

Rust developer and Facepunch Studios founder Garry Newman has issued a statement regarding the development of Rust and stated that he and the team are making a huge call and starting over.

Apparently in order to streamline development and remove unneeded bits of code left over from when Rust was something else entirely they are essentially starting again with the game.

He also spoke about how Rust was an entirely different game to begin with called Cash4Kills which was going to be a Hitman-type game set in an open world similar to Grand Theft Auto.

Speaking about Cash4Kills...​

''The one thing we don't like about the latest Hitman games is that the game seems to be about finding out what the level designer wants you to do, rather than just working out the best place to kill a guy. We wanted it to be all free-form, with bullet entry stats, bonuses for clean kills and for being unspotted, shareable replays, then cash rewards in a backend that you could use to buy new weapons, etc. So you'd only get one chance at a kill and if you f****d it up you couldn't replay, you'd have to wait for the next contract via your real email.''

If you launch Rust right now, you’ll be prompted to choose between “Play Rust,” and “Try Experimental.” The first option will lead to the game you’re familiar with that’s based on the prototype, and the second will take you to the experimental version, where Facepunch is changing “pretty much everything” with regular updates.

Speaking about the reboot of the game...

There were a lot of stupid decisions made in the old codebase, that's probably unfair. There were a lot of decisions made when we didn't know what game we were making... There's a lot of systems that are integral to Rust, that are 3,000 lines long, that could be 100 lines long.

They arent getting rid of the old version of Rust, but all the team’s efforts are going into the experimental build, which will get more servers and become more stable as it grows and receives frequent updates.​

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Brutal Multiplayer Survival Action Game Rust Coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2020

Since Rust's initial launch into Steam Early Access in 2013, almost eight million fans have populated its world making it one of the most played games on Steam. The title has evolved from its earliest days as a primal-survival game to one that stands out among its competitors - featuring shockingly detailed worlds to explore and build in, filled with a variety of gameplay styles, weapons, crafts and above all else: combat.

Rust is not for the faint of heart: the game boasts a steep learning curve and a huge, killer community of players. Befriend them, kill them – the choice is yours. Players will start out alone with nothing but a rock and a torch, finding and learning blueprints to make new and higher-tier weapons, armour and defenses, building a growing arsenal to give you and your friends chances of survival. Rust will throw a barrage of challenges at you but players can fight back with craftable weapons starting with a rock in your hands, to a spear or bow, through to heavier artillery like assault rifles and rocket launchers.

Rust, one of the most successful, brutal and competitive multiplayer survival games ever created, is making its way to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Announced at Microsoft’s X019 in London, fans will get a chance to test their survival capabilities when Rust releases on console next year. When Facepunch and Double Eleven unleash servers in 2020, players looking for the ultimate competitive survival experience on console will be able to play online with up to 100 others.​

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Rust will soon be getting modular cars

Since Rust is such an expansive game, adding vehicles is a massive change to the ecosystem and one that will require extensive testing.

"Rust will soon be getting modular cars that players can modify and drive around. With this being a major new feature, we're releasing it initially in a separate version of the game, which is available to try right now.

Our aim with this new beta branch is to allow for plenty of testing not just in terms of fixing bugs, but also in adjusting how the new vehicles fit into the game as a whole. Various aspects may potentially still change such as how they're acquired and used, or balance to their costs and statistics. Please be aware that right now there will be bugs and missing features in this branch.

If you're trying out the vehicles branch, we'd like to get your bug reports, plus any suggestions for changes you think are needed relating to modular cars. The end goal is to have modular cars fit well into the game as something where the value is equal to the time and energy required to use them."

HOW TO ACCESS

During the course of the Vehicles beta, we'll be hosting two official servers for testing. You'll be able to play on these servers as you would on release.

-US Facepunch Vehicles - 54.39.131.112:28019
-EU Facepunch Vehicles - 145.239.205.187:28020

You'll be able to access the Vehicles Beta Branch by downloading "Rust Staging" from Steam and navigating to the beta page (right-click "Rust - Staging Branch", go to Properties, then BETAS tab) and opting in to "Aux1", once opting in Steam should start downloading the beta.

The Rust Vehicles beta is available now for Rust owners and should be ready for the full game later this year.