• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Smoking Banned?

Triz

Woot! Food =)
Reaction score
Smoking Banned?

In some cities in C.A. there are jobs were not only you can't smoke around the outside of the place, but you can't smoke after work. If your clothes smell like smoke, they can fire you right now the spot. They also have something to check if you have been smoking. I'm not a smoker, but this bothers me a little. You don't even have a right to smoke. Although, it is good for some people, it is still a choice that someone makes. Has a contrary been losing there freedom by just a bit each year? That is what it looks like to me. What does everyone think about the topic?

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Re: Smoking Banned?

The whole tobacco industry thrives on the suffering of others, from the underpaid farmers who grow it to the cancer paitiens.

This being said, banning it like this is pathetic - as if they want to appear as they are against the "evil of smoking", not cutting to the roots of the problem.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Just cant smoke inside public places here thats all.

andythegill

I have a cunning plan
Reaction score

yeah, I wish it was banned full stop, hey they can sod up there lungs but I dont want there second hand smoke near me.

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

I'm sure some lung cancerous member will soon come in and flame you AndytheGill.

As for the topic; if they don't like the rules then they should just change job.

J

Justincblount

Alchohol is way more dangerous and they aren't banning that.

Walker

Ax-Wielding Nerd
Reaction score

[cheers] I LOVE these laws. In DC, and I think a couple Maryland counties, they even banned smoking in bars, which is kinda excessive.

On the other hand, for places like UNO's, or Applebee's, or places like that-- restaurants that also have bars; there I think smoking bans are fine.

I just hate smoking in public places for the simplest of reasons-- it stinks. I walk into a room where someone's been smoking, my throat starts to get sore pretty much instantaneously, even ignoring the real health risks.

Here, though, it's kind of annoying. You'll be sitting in one area eating in an UNO's with not a whiff of smoke; you cross a county line and you can walk into a McDonald's Playplace that reeks of it. Though, of course, this doesn't take into account corporate smoking policies, which ban smoking in lots of restaurants and stuff independent of law.

P

Poppycock

i hate these damn laws. ohio's starting to get worse. in hilliard your not aloud to smoke in public what so ever regardless of age and if your seen the cops are to arrest you. they usually dont tho, they probably think the law is ridiculous as well.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

In Australia there is NO smoking allowed in ANY public place. Including bars :). Smoking is just stupid; you're paying money to make your life shorter. Oh wait, all of a sudden that sounds worth it :getlost:

The only reason that governments don't bann it outright is because they make shiploads of money out of the industry from tax. A 50 pack is like $25 AU. About $20 of that is tax, although I'm could be wrong about that statistic. Either way its alot.

I even remember hearing (and this is more'n likely wrong about this) that Cannabis is less toxic than Cigarettes (the psychotic effects can be disasterous though)

Triz

Woot! Food =)
Reaction score

... It is not at public places anymore. It is everywhere! What about FREEDOM!? I mean, what is next?

H

Hexadecimal

anti smoking laws are retarded... pure and simple...

a democratic government should not be telling it's citizens what is good for them... the whole point of democracy is that we the people command the government, not the other way around, but they seem to have lost sight of that and wish to be our parents...
here, they have even passed a law outlawing trans fats by next year... can't even have a fatty snack anymore :hmm:

so retarded :noexpression:

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

Hexadecimal;142851 said:
anti smoking laws are retarded... pure and simple...

a democratic government should not be telling it's citizens what is good for them... the whole point of democracy is that we the people command the government, not the other way around, but they seem to have lost sight of that and wish to be our parents...
here, they have even passed a law outlawing trans fats by next year... can't even have a fatty snack anymore :hmm:

so retarded :noexpression:

Yeah the government shouldn't be able to tell people what to do. I want to take heroin and go on a killing rampage. What happened to freedom?

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

I personally think that it's a good thing when a government tells the people it is supposed to be responsible for that something is dangerous for their health...

Better a retarded governement that considers the health and life-span of its people than an intelligent governement that couldn't give a crap so long as they themselves are ok.

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score

Banned or not, people should stop smoking themselves. Not because it`s bad for health, but I just don`t like it.. I don`t like people smoking next to me so, this is my selfish reason.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

I think we are all forgetting that smoking is an addiction. That's what is so messed up with it, it is a legally sold drug that causes tons of bad things like cancer.

Banning smoking everywhere, in my opinion, isn't a good thing to do. In public places, yes, but keeping a person from getting a job? That's just stupid.

What we need to do is bring down this evil (stereotypical and cliché, I know) industry. But the sad truth is that it is such a powerful one, with so much money made from it, that it aint gonna happen.

H

Hexadecimal

Angel;142862 said:
I personally think that it's a good thing when a government tells the people it is supposed to be responsible for that something is dangerous for their health...

Better a retarded governement that considers the health and life-span of its people than an intelligent governement that couldn't give a crap so long as they themselves are ok.

but everything is bad for you nowadays...
smoking is banned, fatty foods are banned - no twinkies, now, the government wont let you, pop and candy machines are being removed from everywhere, it's too much
why are people not expected to have self control and be responsible for their own actions anymore?
why is the government encouraged to hold everyone's hand and coddle them through life, telling them what they can eat, what they can do in their spare time?

if what I am doing does not effect anyone else, like smoking in the privacy of my own home, or eating a chocolate bar, then it just cannot be justified to tell me that I am not allowed to continue doing it... it just can't.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

Taking drugs in the privacy of your own home is illegal...

H

Hexadecimal

Arseface;142875 said:
Taking drugs in the privacy of your own home is illegal...

your point? :hmm:
drugs are illegal, smoking is not
drugs can cause harm to others in that they are usually tied to crime and violence in some fashion... are you claiming that the same is true for cigarettes and chocolate bars? :hmm:

Devalion

Glittering Generality.
Reaction score

Sometimes chocolate is so good....I would kill for it.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

So drugs have a negative stigma. Cigarettes aren't as "dangerous" as cannabis (to use a specific example), but what goes on in the privacy of a mans home doesn't affect anyone else...

Anyway, whats wrong with trying to make the world a healthier place?