• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Solus Greatsword or Sword of Aeons/Avo's Tear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple Pie

BOOM! Headshot
Reaction score
Re: Solus Greatsword or Sword of Aeons/Avo's Tear?

Definitely the Solus Greatsword. The most powerful weapon in-game and it is incredibly easy to get.

Arseface

Look at me still talking when theres science to do
Premium
Reaction score

Old threads need to be locked.

Apple Pie

BOOM! Headshot
Reaction score

Arseface;416630 said:
Old threads need to be locked.

Yup indeed.

Apple Pie

BOOM! Headshot
Reaction score

MGSpro97;400403 said:
I'd go with the Sword of Aeons/Avo's Tear, the Solus Greatsword is alright but it's a waste of Gold when the Sword of Aeons/Avo's Tear is perfectly good for getting through the rest of TLC. One question though, Why did they reduce the amount of damage the Sword of Aeons does in TLC? In the original it did 550, in TLC it only does 230! I know that's still a lot but it's a huge step back from 550.

You don't need anymore gold after the arena because by the time you reach the arena you already have the best armors in-game. Duh.

xzxzxz70

The kitty is watching...
Reaction score

^This is a very old thread, let it die.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

And double posting.... Do yourself a favour and read the rules.

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

Stranger;416815 said:
@Arseface: Report it to staff or shut up.

Reporting it would probably do less than telling them to stop. Unless a staff member actually says something to the person (which probably wouldn't happen all the time), but telling them yourself still won't hurt.

Apple Pie

BOOM! Headshot
Reaction score

Okay guys now shut up. Let the thread alone.

LyNxY yO

Reaction score

IF U HAVE TLC

THEN BEREAVER / SOULS FTW.

Ryu_the_fox

Reaction score

this thread is very old. stop posting...

El Mosqueton

Party Animal
Reaction score

I choose Avo's Tear, as it is the most cannon.

Dentie

Reaction score

^ omg dont wake the undead!

Necromancer

Pokémon Master
Reaction score

Could somebody just lock this thread? It's been revived way too many god damn times.

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

John, just report it to the staff and shut up.

:\

Arseface

Premium
Reaction score

I hadn't realised the necro date had been codified. 4 months it is!

mituan

Reaction score
DAMMIT. You won. FYI that should be what the fight against logan is like, no platform boohoki.

Khalin

Reaction score
Before you read this post - I realize that this topic is old, but topics like this annoy me a bit because most people don't actually do any research and analysis before voicing what they feel about weapons. That and, this topic was on the first page since mituan bumped it up. So even though this is a bit of a thread necro, this should be worth everyone's time since I'm going to try to bring some new/useful information to the table which I haven't seen discussed yet [and should hopefully answer any questions about sword comparisons].

Anyways, I've seen a lot of misinformed prattle in here like "x, y, and z sucks because its damage is too low!" when in fact, augmentations coming into play can really make a sword dramatically more powerful than it really looks. The Harbringer for example, is actually an extremely powerful light sword, and better than Avo's Tear/The Sword of Aeons in some situations due to its Piercing augmentation. Just so people can see for themselves, I have compiled a list of damage comparisons against various monsters in the game so people can see how the main swords stack up against different monsters. I'm only including what I feel are the most obvious choices in terms of swords - I might do other weapons in the future.

Please note that these statistics are based on a character that has 7 Physique. I only chose to write "Avo's Tear" because that's what I chose, but just in case anybody somehow doesn't know already, Avo's Tear has the exact same stats as the TLC version of The Sword of Aeons, so consider them both the exact same sword. I also used no flourish attacks for these damage values - these are normal attacks:

vs. Jack of Blades [Dragon]

Solus Greatsword - 627
Avo's Tear - 460
The Harbringer - 436

vs. Summoner

Solus Greatsword - 752
Avo's Tear - 460
The Harbringer - 495

vs. Minion

Solus Greatsword - 627
Avo's Tear - 460
The Harbringer - 495

vs. Wraith

Solus Greatsword - 784 - 3 seconds
Avo's Tear - 460 - 4 seconds
The Harbringer - 396

vs. Snow Balverine

Solus Greatsword - 207
Avo's Tear - 152
The Harbringer - 131

vs. Ice Troll

Solus Greatsword - 259 - 33 seconds
Avo's Tear - 152
The Harbringer - 163 - 30 seconds

vs. Rock Troll

Solus Greatsword - 207
Avo's Tear - 152
The Harbringer - 163

vs. Bandit

Solus Greatsword - 627
Avo's Tear - 460
The Harbringer - 396

As you can see, there are several situations where the Harbringer is in fact, better than Avo's Tear/The Sword of Aeons. Also, if you noticed the "3 seconds / 4 seconds" etc, those are comparisons I did to see how long it takes to kill those monsters. In other words, it took me 3 seconds to kill a Wraith using a Solus Greatsword, and it took 4 seconds to kill it with Avo's Tear. Not much of a difference is it? Just for fun, I did a comparison on the Ice Troll. Despite the fact that Solus Greatsword does about 1.6x the damage that the Harbringer does, the Harbringer took down the Ice Troll slightly faster [for the record, the fastest way to kill any troll is to use Skorm's Bow and aim a shot at the Troll's face since it has no defense there]. One other thing I'd like to note is that if the Bereaver hadn't been changed in the PC version of Fable: TLC, that would have been the superior weapon to Solus Greatsword because it had 2 augment slots open, even though they had a lame Health augmentation in it. It in fact, should be superior to Solus Greatsword in my opinion considering you don't get it until end-game [and it looks damn cooler, Solus Greatsword looks like a red, wiggly noodle], but for some reason they felt it had to be nerfed. The Solus Greatsword was unfortunately, also nerfed in the PC version.

In short, you really aren't killing creatures "faster" with the Solus Greatsword despite how much more damage it deals because it's so slow. Also, if you get blocked even while using the Solus Greatsword, that can slow your fight enough to where it would've been faster with the Harbringer or Avo's Tear. Another thing that makes Solus Greatsword bad in my opinion [and this goes for all heavy weapons] is the fact that your character's rolling is drastically hindered and slowed while it's drawn. As for the light swords, Avo's Tear might have higher base damage, but it lacks the Piercing augmentation that The Harbringer has and therefore isn't always going to be the preferred light sword to use. And this is just my personal opinion, but Health, Mana, and Experience augmentations in this game are 100% useless, especially Health. Even if you never choose to increase the Health stat, the game still crams several Elixirs of Life down your throat so your life increases a lot anyways, plus it's virtually impossible to die considering the endless supply of penny-cheap Health Potions and Resurrection Phials that the game practically forces you to use. On top of all that, you even have the option of Physical Shield and Slow Time. I've completed the game twice without ever getting hit a single time because of these options. When you consider all of that, what the heck do you need a Health augmentation for? Or a Mana augmentation for that matter?

One last note: Since you don't even get Avo's Tear or The Sword of Aeons until after you defeat Jack of Blades for the first time, consider The Harbringer to be the best sword [and in many cases, the best melee weapon you have available period] for the first 3/4 of the game anyways, at least once you get access to Witchwood. Until then, just use the Cutlass Bluetane since you can basically get it 10-15 minutes after you leave the Heroes' Guild.

Now, since apparently everyone gets annoyed by this topic being brought "back" with silly one-liner posts again and again, I'm going to see if I can't find out who the mods are [I'm new here] so I can PM one and ask to lock this topic.

Arladerus

Unknown Paladin
Reaction score
Nice data. I always thought the Harbringer was garbage, thanks for clearing that up. In the end though, as ugly as it is, I still think Avo's Tear looks better than the Harbringer, which matters more in my opinion.

Dragonzzilla

Dragon of Blades
Reaction score
I'd take the Tear or Sword; they're free, quick, damaging, and have awesome augmentations.

Status
Not open for further replies.