• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sony Wants To Stop Lucrative Second-Hand Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Sony Wants To Stop Lucrative Second-Hand Market

This is news i have just heard and i personally dont know what the hell Sony are thinking. High street games shops have been told by Sony that they will not be allowed to have PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they have bought.

Meaning Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

It has been assumed that this move will be to stop PS3 games being resold several times - which would snatch potential sales away from Sony and they dont want to lose money this way.

I think that its a disgrace personally :getlost:

D

DrZoid

Re: Sony Wants To Stop Lucrative Second-Hand Market

I wasn't getting a PS3 anyway but... that will put off quite a few of my friends who are into Sony, for good!

Nearly all my games are 2nd hand. How the hell can a 16 year old afford to pay the £40 price on all these games!? Even with a job thats way too much.

EDIT* Its a fu**ing Disgrace is what it is!

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

DrZoid said:
I wasn't getting a PS3 anyway but... that will put off quite a few of my friends who are into Sony, for good!

Nearly all my games are 2nd hand. How the hell can a 16 year old afford to pay the £40 price on all these games!? Even with a job thats way too much.

EDIT* Its a fu**ing Disgrace is what it is!

I am going to get one and i dont swap games very often but the fact they are saying that it would be illegal to sell a game you have brought with your own money is crazy. Like you said how the hell are young people meant to afford £40 games a time. With a price like the PS3 is going to be you would have thought they would encourage gamers into it not turn them away :getlost:

A

Asura

The gaming market has really let itself go.. Bigger graphics, smaller cartridges or discs, and more money.. I remember the good old days when graphics really didn't mean that much to people and games were played solely for fun.

D

DrZoid

Its all about the money now...hang on! Was it ever about anything else for these big game companies!?

A

Asura

Back when everything was 9 bits or so.. It was for entertainment, not so much big money.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Its all about sales these days, each company wants the bragging rights of how many units they have sold and want the best selling titles on their consoles.

D

DrZoid

They're all money making bastards. The only decent games developers are those who make games to put on a small unknown site....trouble is...they suck.

Edit: Apart from the sand game. ;)

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

DrZoid said:
They're all money making bastards. The only decent games developers are those who make games to put on a small unknown site....trouble is...they suck.

Edit: Apart from the sand game. ;)

:lol: well then again its a vicious circle as without the big money grabbing companies we would be deprived of alot of blockbuster games so ...

Seigfreid

The Guardkiller
Reaction score

Can't argue with that. Though they may be money-grubbing pricks they bring us some of the greatest forms of entertainment. They are in ways like the American Government. Even though they loved to take every bit of money we worked hard to earn and then continue to squeeze us completely dry, without them America would be a chaotic, anarchist nation that carries no form of right and wrong and eternally be plunged into a land of darkness and despair.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Seigfried said:
Can't argue with that. Though they may be money-grubbing pricks they bring us some of the greatest forms of entertainment. They are in ways like the American Government. Even though they loved to take every bit of money we worked hard to earn and then continue to squeeze us completely dry, without them America would be a chaotic, anarchist nation that carries no form of right and wrong and eternally be plunged into a land of darkness and despair.

Correct, and without big game companies the smaller ones would have no ambition to grow into anything and have no drive to make better games than the big companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.