• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Spirit of Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score
Re: Spirit of Music

I thought people were catching on that I was posting musical jokes.

Apart from the first post of course.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

I wish I could pick just one band that supersedes all others that I love but it's simply not possible. I'm not one of those elitists who go into all the technical crap about why and how a band is so awesome - if I like the sound and the lyrical quality, then I'm hooked, basically.

I love Demon Hunter and I love Gershwin. I love boybands of the 90's because they are so bad they're good and I love REM. I love Lifehouse with the lead singer's funny-sounding voice and I love Trance music. Queen and Guns n Roses. Beethoven and Backstreet Boys. TLC and 2 Unlimited. Hell, I'll even hum along to some good ol' Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, Linda Ronstadt and Bruce Springsteen when the mood takes me.

D3m190d

Your Future Emperor
Reaction score

BARBECUE, I must post in this thread. o_O'

The best band is, of course

@ Angel, oh, I've heard one song from Demon Hunter. xD Fading Away sounded pretty sweet. Skyfire does, in fact, supersede everything, though. ^^

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Angel said:
I wish I could pick just one band that supersedes all others that I love but it's simply not possible. I'm not one of those elitists who go into all the technical crap about why and how a band is so awesome - if I like the sound and the lyrical quality, then I'm hooked, basically.

I love Demon Hunter and I love Gershwin. I love boybands of the 90's because they are so bad they're good and I love REM. I love Lifehouse with the lead singer's funny-sounding voice and I love Trance music. Queen and Guns n Roses. Beethoven and Backstreet Boys. TLC and 2 Unlimited. Hell, I'll even hum along to some good ol' Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, Linda Ronstadt and Bruce Springsteen when the mood takes me.

You like any Spice Girls?

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

Recently been obsessed with the band Altar of Plagues. Very gritty black metal that sings about the end of the world, mostly. Lyrics are wonderful, in my opinion.

[youtube]Ob-yA3sVk78[/youtube]

Majority of you won't "get it", but ah well.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Black/Death Metal is so overrated. All they do is cough and murmur, you can't hear anything they're singing.

Further more:

darkside1oq2.jpg
PF_afc_DarkSideOfMoon.jpg

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

D3m190d;412749 said:
@ Angel, oh, I've heard one song from Demon Hunter. xD Fading Away sounded pretty sweet.
Fading Away is my favourite one - also like Carry Me Down.
Gikoku Harakami;412750 said:
You like any Spice Girls?
To my shame, yes I do. Not a fan of the group, per se, but some of their stuff is catchy and Goodbye My Friend came out just when one of my close friends went missing, so a bunch of us used to listen it like the angst-ridden teens we were :lol:

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score

Been getting back into some Pantera lately, so good.

Tsuyu;412759 said:
Black/Death Metal is so overrated. All they do is cough and murmur, you can't hear anything.

[youtube]A43JOxLa5MM[/youtube]

Though I must admit, some of the death metal is enjoyable, just a pain having to dig through so much unoriginality.

Angel said:
To my shame, yes I do. Not a fan of the group, per se, but some of their stuff is catchy and Goodbye My Friend came out just when one of my close friends went missing, so a bunch of us used to listen it like the angst-ridden teens we were. :lol:

You're not alone, as much as I disliked the group... I have to admit, they had some pretty darn catchy tunes. Among them in the 90s was that other pop group... Aqua..

Thinking back on the Barbie Girl song gives me nightmares.

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

Tsuyu;412759 said:
Black/Death Metal is so overrated. All they do is cough and murmur, you can't hear anything they're singing.
oh don't start :B

I pretty much retracted the whole overrated thing by adding "in my opinion" anyway, so there's no need to hate on black/death metal out of spite, y'know. ;)

Recycled Human

Reaction score

DarkenedSoul;412756 said:
Recently been obsessed with the band Altar of Plagues. Very gritty black metal that sings about the end of the world, mostly. Lyrics are wonderful, in my opinion.

[youtube]Ob-yA3sVk78[/youtube]

Majority of you won't "get it", but ah well.

I guess you can count me in the 'don't get it' pile, it was a might bit repetitive and industrial(?), don't get me wrong I like industrial when it's going somewhere, the whole song sounded like build up for nothing. I'll give it another chance in a couple minutes. Thanks for trying to expand my horizons.

As a side note can you post up the lyrics?

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

Recycled Human;412772 said:
I guess you can count me in the 'don't get it' pile, it was a might bit repetitive and industrial(?), don't get me wrong I like industrial when it's going somewhere, the whole song sounded like build up for nothing. I'll give it another chance in a couple minutes. Thanks for trying to expand my horizons.

As a side note can you post up the lyrics?
Here:
A weight that we can not comprehend.
Beyond all reason.
This weight that we won't comprehend.
Beyond all reason.

All that you know, you will not allow.
This weight is within every shiver,
within the the spin, inside the heart.
We will remain floating numb.

Allowing ourselves, to forget.
It is as if we are in the center of time,
and we are within our steel towers.
It is to float within the cloud, to tremble inside the land.

All are numb.

A weight that we can not comprehend.
Beyond all reason.
This weight that we won't comprehend.
Beyond all reason.

Racing on foot, holding to hope like a shield from the truth.
They cry, "Sleepers Awake!"
Racing on foot, sleepers awake.

The rhymes promise was true.
We have returned to this place.
Home to a calm dawn, and the work we had just begun.

Eating roots, grown in soil.
Drawing on life, of the living.
Clustered points of light, spun out in space.
And the time, within the skies.
Lyrics for track 1 are better.

Also, it's music you really REALLY need to be patient with. Took like 5 listens for me to finally get it, then I was hooked.

Glad you're giving it a chance. It's probably their least accessible material, so good luck!

Recycled Human

Reaction score

Modest Mouse took me around 5 tries and yeah there's just a point where it suddenly clicks. I really will try it. The lyrics seem to be going form cryptic (and I'm notoriously oblivious). I'll try and follow it. Time for attempt number 2.

Thanks again.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score

Scrolling past everything since the Metallica argument:
Unnamed Feeling was one of my favorite songs a few years ago, still like it, the feeling in the song is just so good. Nirvana is over rated yes, but they are still the reason Grunge is a favorite genre of mine.

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

Recycled Human;412790 said:
Modest Mouse took me around 5 tries and yeah there's just a point where it suddenly clicks. I really will try it. The lyrics seem to be going form cryptic (and I'm notoriously oblivious). I'll try and follow it. Time for attempt number 2.

Thanks again.

First track is better by a long way, but unfortunately it's not on YouTube. I'm sure you can find a download link somewhere.

I'm buying the vinyl next week.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

DarkenedSoul;412767 said:
oh don't start :B

I pretty much retracted the whole overrated thing by adding "in my opinion" anyway, so there's no need to hate on black/death metal out of spite, y'know. ;)

I'm above spite, petty mortal.

I just don't like growling. I'm more of a 60's, 70's and 80's person. Y'know, when the singer's voice was more of an instrument rather than a means of deliver lyrics. Take Ozzy for example. He uses his voice beautifully and you can hear every word he sings.

I'm sure some of the lyrics are deep and meaningful and everything nowadays too, but when I have to friggin' google the song just to read the lyrics afterwards rather than "getting it" as I heard the song - what's the point?

Noctus

Metal Connoisseur
Reaction score

Tsuyu;412799 said:
I just don't like growling. I'm more of a 60's, 70's and 80's person. Y'know, when the singer's voice was more of an instrument rather than a means of deliver lyrics.
Wait, hold on, are you trying to suggest that screaming vocals are all about the lyrics? Because you're dead, dead wrong. Lyrics are the last thing I even looked up with Altar of Plagues, and with every band I listen to - it's the lowest priority to me. I just felt like adding that they were well written lyrics to draw people in somewhat.

It's all about how the vocalists SOUNDS, not what he sings. Unless what he sings is f***ing horrible.

Liking "growls" is subjective, I totally dig if you don't like them, but don't suggest for a second that screaming/growing is the opposite of what you describe.

If anything, I absolutely disagree with you about 60's, 70's and 80's bands being about how it sounds rather than what you're singing. But all to their own.

Tsuyu

Town Guard
Reaction score

No, I'm saying that the old-timers focused on lyrics and the delivery. These days it seems to be all about the lyrics. Or sounding like a rooster, I suppose.

Angel

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

Music contracts are like knighthoods these days - they hand them out to anyone.

ssjcb1186

Hypocritical Bitch
Reaction score

I have a question that I'm sure no one else really cares about, but are "christian/gospel," "gospel/religious," "christian," and "inspirational" really genres of music or does it just refer to the lyrics of the song? Or does that make a genre of music?

To me, lyrics don't really make a "Genre" the music playing and the way it's sung depicts the type of music it is. Correct if I'm wrong please :).

Status
Not open for further replies.