• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Stained glass window wip

Precipice

Reaction score
To you photoshop pros, and even you photoshop non-pros, gimme your thoughts on this.

Working on a new texture. This still needs a lot of work, I'm not pleased with the colors. The blue circles are placeholders until I get real portraits in there. Because I don't think TLC has 17 important characters, I may have to redo this. But this isn't about Fable or modding or anything. This is about technique.

Does my stained glass look alright? Does it look like stained glass?

4rhxDWw.png

Zarkes

i7 gtx 3080
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Very cool, looks good.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Looking pretty good so far, maybe darken the blue a little though got a feeling this is placeholder for an image.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Welp, reposting my thoughts here. But I like it so far, you ask if it resembles stained glass and I say it does pretty well. I echo Andy's advice on the blue parts, they're too saturated and bright so the textures are rather difficult to pick up. I like the method you used, I probably would've attempted it with an emboss effect to give it that illusion of depth, but yours again shows that there's no wrong way to do something.

I imagine it will look significantly more convincing in a 3D environment with light shining through it and with normal maps applied (does TLC use normal maps? I can't remember).

Precipice

Reaction score
(does TLC use normal maps? I can't remember).
Again with the good questions!

Fable uses inverted normal maps and they call them bump maps, but they're normal maps. Similar in concept but different in method. Fable also uses other types of maps. Using clever combinations of those with the various mesh and texture options allows for some pretty creative effects. Fable additionally has very customizable light sources, which can also provide for some really cool ambient effects. It's all about finding the right combination of things to get it looking perfect.

I'd again like to give a nod to the Fable developers and designers who cranked this stuff out as fast as they did to produce the game. I already knew it wasn't easy but damn. Working on stuff gives a new appreciation for these things.