• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Fallacy of Alternate Universes

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
Nerdgasms and possibly other types of gasms often ensue when nerds & gamers talk about living in a alternate reality of their favourite fandom. But, in reality, really who the bleeding hell would actually want to live in a more primitive or war-torn society than the one we currently live in?

Yes okay, I'll admit I'd love to VISIT Albion, Westeros (Probably just in the summer though), Middle-Earth, Thedas, Namek, Coruscant, New-New York, or wherever-the-hell you read, play or watch stuff about. But would you honestly live there? My answer is no. Maybe I'm just getting old but I've changed my mind over this, I think I'd likely have to choose a sci-fi. Reasons being that I just can't see myself fitting in with a bunch of wizards, elves, or maniac marauders scantily clad in the desert.

I think the number one reason for this nerdy change of heart is mainly due to the idea that you couldn't have; modern medicine, in-door plumbing, supermarkets, television, and of course internet and all the other little things we take for granted. Who here honestly would want to have to live in a world where you have to take a sword with you while you go the sh*tt*r? Dragons ate our livestock! Zombies ate my wife! Vikings took our women!? I want a god-damn shower! 'What's a shower?' replied the hobbit.

So if anything I'd have to choose a sci-fi, not only because the state of living is increased but also you get to have access to more stuff to take for granted, which is what makes us happy, isn't it? So yes, a space-faring sci-fi, I could move home and immigrate to some weird planet. You could see the stars and strange new worlds, I think that would be my choice. And no, I don't mean Star Trek, or even Star Wars. The aliens are creepy and weird and I'm not convinced I could hold a conversation with a Twi'lek or a Vulcan without wanting to laugh at them.

So I see the future as the best alternative, but what would be the worst alternative? I think Westeros (Game of thrones) & Sera (Gears of War) would be the absolute worst case scenario. A place where winters last decades, with no hot water, central heating, or double glazed windows? No thank you! Sera, a place of perpetual war where monsters come out of the ground to kill every single living thing because they don't like sharing the holiday complex? Wooooaaah, baby no.

So let's have at it and discuss the worst and best places in all of nerddom to visit, pass through, and live decided on rational, well thought out ideas. What place would you actually do well in? And by do well in I mean; Not get killed by trolls, eaten, raped, murdered & mutilated, y'know a place to raise the kids? A homestead.

Equestria maybe? But do they charge more rent for humans than they do horses? And would you really vote for a mare, mayor?

Last edited:

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
There is only one problem with places like Albion, Westeros, Middle-Earth, Thedas, Namek, Coruscant etc thats a big sticking point for me... no Internet. Give me a Dragon or Troll threat over no Internet any day.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
For me it's rarely the place that catches my attention. It's honestly just that I'd love to be able to hurl fireballs or assassins rush around. Slow time and be the most productive person ever? Oh, **** yeah. All that stuff would be great no matter where you are.

Tying that into this thread, I'd totally live in those places if I had the abilities and player one advantages present in MOST games (get out of here, Silent Hill).

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't see this thread sooner.

Most fictional universes on face-value seem like a fun place to live, but only for the characters who are designed to live in them. Most are designed to survive within this universe so they can "make it to the end of the game", so to speak. Even GOT characters have a stronger chance of surviving Westeros than us normies and that death-count is pretty high. Throw me into a world like Westeros or the Fallout universe and I'd be dead within a matter of seconds. I'll take my chances avoiding getting hit by a bus everyday instead.

I've always said I'd love to explore the world of Final Fantasy X. Even with Cthulhu-- sorry Sin hanging around over your head, I'd still love to have a ride on a chocobo and get mad-drunk on Elixirs with Kimahri. That and the Legend of Zelda universe, specifically OOT, MM and TP worlds. Midna is my idol. <3

queenofdisco

Premium
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I was ****ed as a fart when I wrote this. I don't normally sound as crazy as this.

Honest.

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
Assuming I'm not a Chosen One or a main character; I wouldn't want to live in most fantasy worlds; they sound really fun but no matter how much I train nothing could prepare me for suddenly changing every aspect of my entire life to an old fashioned showerless, internetless, stale bread and salted beef Aragorn type life.
Now living in Star Trek, especially The Next Generation would be excellent: high technology, lots of education being given freely, exotic foods and extravagant lifestyles, and very few deaths, heck you can even wear red as long as you don't hang out with Shatner.

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Star Trek yes! Which reminds me, I'd love to live in the Mass Effect universe. Fingers crossed for finding Prothean ruins on Mars. :shifty:

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
Wouldn't somewhere like the Shire be pretty nice to live? It's full of a happy bunch of people, lovely surroundings, and from a comfort point of view, doesn't Bilbo mention that the Dwarves have messed up the plumbing or something in the Hobbit? So that suggests they have irrigation and sanitation, even if only in a basic form.

Plus, as you're really tall compared to all the half-pints who live there, maybe they'll see you and start to worship you as a God?

The fact that Fable is my all-time favourite fantasy series makes it feel as if I should say Albion is best out of loyalty, but realistically that's just not the case. Unless you're a mighty Hero, you're literally confined to a single location because the road between you and anywhere else in the world is going to be swarming with trolls, bandits, balverines, and several other creatures that want to do nothing except kill and/or eat you in a whole host of bizarre and unpleasant ways.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Maybe I'm biased, but I would love to give Dragon Ball's vision of Earth a try. At least for a day, that place is still stuck in the 80s with its adorable futuristic spin on things, capsule containers = the best and most impractical invention ever made. Imagine having all the troubles of moving your home, furniture or any heavy object with a simple little container, gone. The aesthetic lore of the world just has this wonderful cozy feel to it, it's hard to explain, but it just looks like a place that's enjoyable to live in if you ignore all the bad stuff. Also, senzu beans!

On the other hand, you do have random assholes like Goku & His Super Friends tearing up the planet with their careless epic battles, constant earthquakes, always attracting evil-doers and eventually everyone dies. Then gets wished back, living in endless anxiety for when the next attack happens again. They're always hogging the dragon balls for they're own needs and are essentially the only good people allowed to search for them. Not to mention dinosaurs still roam the planet freely, bigger than our history counterparts in fact. So unless you're best buddies with Goku & co. then you're essentially a "going to die" background character.

**** it. I'll go with Star Trek.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
I think the issue with living in nearly any fantasy world is that unless you're a great big superhero, your life will be in constant danger, or extremely mundane.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy for me.
horrible things happen but it's always in a satirical context. If my planet is about to be blown up, at least make it because I didn't get the memo and move in time.

Who doesn't want to try a Trans galactic gargle blaster? Who doesn't want a babelfish in their ear? Who wants to travel without towels? A bunch of vogons that's who.

Precipice

Reaction score
All the expendable background characters that constantly die and get no love should unionize and go on strike, provided they can live long enough to do so.

I'm not picky, I don't need fantasy or sci-fi or adventure aspects and others mentioned, a lot of those aspects can end up being hazardous parts of everyday life. Besides, in Albion you can't play Fable. I can't imagine what reality I would want to live in, but I'd probably prefer it to be one where I can talk to and keep up with people anywhere without having to use Facebook to do so.

Precipice

Reaction score
Sure sure, I trust people can extrapolate some measure of the risks involved in working for a guy based on the name of the boss and project. Death Star, totally safe. Dr. Evil, great guy.

I'd like to amend my post with a note that whatever reality I live in, I'd like it if nefariously named individuals with murderous tendencies have a hard time recruiting people.