• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword A Mini Review

Miekkas

Sissi
Reaction score
SPOILERS!

For you few loyal Nintendo fans out there, you might have taken notice of the reviews here and there for the latest installment of the Zelda franchise. Some reviews like those by IGN declare the game to be the best to ever be released, while others like Gamespot were pretty merciless in their evaluation. I figured I might as well throw my opinion into the mix since I'm bored. Note, I have only made it past the fifth dungeon, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

GAMEPLAY

This particular Zelda is unlike any other that you have ever played. Essentially everything in the way you interact in combat and items has been completely overhauled to make full use of the Wii system compared to the controller-based Zeldas. Actions like swinging you sword, using you shield, throwing bombs, etc, are all controlled in one way or another based on how you use the remote. This leads to a surprisingly pleasant level of immersion that forces you to become much more patient, controlled, and skilled in how you act in combat. That being said, if you are not precise enough, it results in endless frustration and swearing at the TV. There were times where I would swing right or left to do a horizontal slash, and the result was a vertical or diagonal one best my direction was not spot on. I highly recommend standing when you are playing, because sitting can become constricting very quickly if you're required to do any under handed movements.

The world of this Zelda is definitely different from any of the others played up until now. The days of large, expansive areas are over in this game. Instead on the surface world there are more like stretched out mini-dungeons that require navigation before reaching the actual dungeon, and you'll find yourself visiting some the same areas again and again. I'm still deciding if this it a good or a bad thing, as I personally greatly enjoyed the massive world of Twilight Princess with dungeons kept in their own little areas. The overworld feels like a page torn from Wind Waker. Now this would be okay if the Sky had a lot of territory to explore, but it's surprising empty overall. You can explore everything in the Sky within an hour while WW took hours upon hours at least.

STORY

So far, the story is surprisingly good in terms of the characters, particularly Link and Zelda. They have much more prominent personalities and charm to them this time around, and FINALLY you get the feeling they actually have a tangible connection. Link is an emotionless, mute robot along for the ride for a change. There are also unexpected moments of humor right in the middle of the main story, which I'm glad was something that carried over from Wind Waker. In fact, the very first time we meet Link, it starts with lighthearted moment between Zelda's bird and him (and his bed).

The characters are interesting in this installment, but aside from a few, the rest feel like ones we have seen before. The ones that stick out are Groose, Link, Zelda, Impa, and Ghirram.

One thing worth noting is the "side quests" involving people from around the game have made a return from Majora's Mask and Wind Waker where you can voluntarily help them, and something change things for the better.

MUSIC
This is the one aspect of the game that I think really shines. The music, especially in the early parts of the game during the "tutorial" phase before the first temple, is great and mood setting. It's worth noting that major pieces of the soundtrack are now fully orchestrated. Took them long enough!

GRPAHICS
This is a minefield that I wish I could endless praise, but I can't. The folks at Nintendo tried to blend the maturity of Twilight Princess with the lighthearted nature of Wind Waker, and for the most part, they succeed....but the graphics are not fine tuned at all. The designs whether it be environments or character models suffer from washed out colors and jagged edges. Now, before anyone says, "It's the Wii", yes, I know it's the Wii. But just take a look at games such as Smash Bros Brawl that have clean and crisp graphics from when the Wii was first released. The folks working on SBB did a better job than the people did on Skyward Sword, which is kinda sad when SBB went for a much more realistic look.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

Is it the best Zelda ever made or the worst? I would say neither. There are aspects like the controls (when calibrated properly), music, and parts of the storyline and characters that really prove the franchise is alive and well, but there are other parts like the graphics and bits and pieces like the world/dungeon design that have me feeling kinda "meh". I wouldn't say it is better than Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, or Twilight Princess, but it is definitely on par with Wind Waker. Signing off!

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
I would buy this game if it was more like Twilight Princess, but alas, it is not.

Reaction score
Not sure whether to get or not:

Number 1 need to get enough money.

Number 2 need to set my Wii up again, which I haven't played in ages and don't know if I can be bothered setting it up at the moment.

On the other hand I am an avid fan of the series, and it's been a while since I've had a go on a hack and slash adventure game so who knows I might get it. Still not sure though, (also I've recently laid my eyes on a book containing the entire works of William Shakespeare illustrated and am much more tempted to buy that instead seeing as it's on sale for a third of it's original price > £29.99: A once in a life time bargain if you ask me.) Game prices can only go down, whereas books like that are only on offer for a limited time and seeing as I'm low on cash I should probably get it while it's going for a tenner, I'd be a fool not too. I'll probably get Zelda another time one the price drops to a level that suits me.

hmmm to buy or not to buy.

Miekkas

Sissi
Reaction score
That's something I forgot to mention: Fi, your "guide" this time around, is possibly the most annoying one yet. She tells you EVERYTHING, and it's not like Navi where you can block out the "Hey" and "Listen!" because she automatically will pop up to tell you information or what to do next. It gets very annoying after awhile where you wanna reach through the screen to smack her and say "Okay shut up and stop trying to hold my hand."

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score
I heard you can upgrade your stuff, made me SO not interested, I hate having to upgrade ****, not to mention I guess the sheild breaks now. LAME...I wanted LINK to level up not his stuff.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
I just finished the second temple and I'm amazed how short they are. I'm spending more time getting into the temple than I am beating it.

§ephi, upgrading the gear isn't very major. So far I've found anything needed to do it just by going through the plot. A shield hasn't broken on me yet, but that may be because the controls often make me forget I have one.

I remember all the gaming news outlets going on about the "new art style" of the game but it's so, so laughably minor. I haven't once stopped and noticed what they've been raving about.

The one thing I LOVE is how cinematic this Zelda is. Link has more of a character and there's a real relationship between him and Zelda as opposed to the whole "games named after her and she's also got a triangle. I guess I'll go kill all the baddies on her behalf." It's the biggest departure from the classic Zelda plot (except maybe Wind Waker) and I absolutely love it.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score
So.... that means Link finally gets some in the end or what?

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
So.... that means Link finally gets some in the end or what?
I'll have to answer that one when I beat it. Only 2 temples in but there's been some serious flirting already.

I am hoping that my dreams come true and Miyamoto finishes all his major titles off with the main character actually getting laid in the end. The guy's only got so many games left in his career and it'd be a shame for Mario and Link to never get a thank you.