• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Men Behind The Mask

P

Peter Parker

The Men Behind The Mask

First, thanks for clicking in the first place, I hope you enjoy the following fanfic, but, before that, a disclaimer:

I'm not yet finished The Lost Chapters, though I have finished the regular Fable, so if i get any facts wrong, please say nothing more than telling me whats wrong and say nothing more, I don't want The Lost Chapters ruined, thanks.

Prologue - Albion After Jack

The land of Albion was in a time of new heroes, as the one first known as Chicken Chaser in his early days as an apprentice at the Guild - later to be known by many names to many people - was ending his time in Albion, soon to be passing on to the next world, whatever it may be.

The new generation of heroes had little to do but fight amongst themselves, many joined the bandits, just to have something to do - raiding villages and rebuilding as new towns to be governed by the Bandit Kings, heroes. The others, tried their best to defend the villages, but with everything south of the Greatwood Caves in control of the bandits, everything was in limbo, awaiting something to change the tides.

But the bandits, in all their newfound kingdom, weren't the only ones rebuilding. Fifty years after The Hero of Heroes - still known as the name when he left the Arena so long ago, Ranger - released Albion from the grip of Jack of Blades, is still in shambles from the extreme amount of destruction caused by Jack in his last rampage before the battle between himself and Ranger. Being, also, the mayor of Bowerstone, Ranger had little convincing to do to get the carpenters , and other workmen to focus the rebuilding efforts first and foremost on the Heroes' Guild. Work is still being done to fortify the Heroes' Guild, but training has resumed, and the workmen are starting to fan out, working on Bowerstone and surrounding areas, much work remains, as fortification of the southern areas also has to be maintained.

But this story is not about such things, but rather on a new arrival at the Heroes' Guild, a young boy by the name of Charlie. Named for his grandfather Charlie is the son of two Heroes, so the Heroes' Guild was allows in the plans for him. At a very young age, Charlie lost his father to a balverine attack on his hometown, Knothole Glade. Though he was too young to understand at the time, he eventually came to terms with his father's death, after hearing of Scarlet Robe's very similar defeat while at the guild.

However, this story begins before this understanding. This story begins where Charlie's training begins..

This is all I'm able to write at the moment, as it is currently 6:30 in the morning where I reside, so, I hope you all enjoyed the Prologue, and i'll be back as soon as possible with Chapter 1 (pending interest).

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Re: The Men Behind The Mask

I like it - it sounds interesting and I'm looking forward to reading more :D

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Sounds great so far! I thought

"the one first known as Chicken Chaser in his early days as an apprentice at the Guild - later to be known by many names to many people"

was a very nice touch! ;)

P

Peter Parker

Well, I've just realized I'm going to have to finish the game in order to write anymore of this, and with school starting up again very soon, I'd say a new chapter will be up by the end of the week.

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

Looking forward to it.^_^

T

TheRaven

Very good, I liked it-quite epic!

P

Peter Parker

Sorry for not posting anything new guys, but I was swamped with assignments, then midterm exams, and i only now got the internet working in my hotel room (which i am leaving for home today) and i hope to get some writing done on the way back home.

I've yet to finish TLC due to the same reasons, but have decided to say screw it, i'll fix it later if i have to.

'it', being the story.

side note: while in this hotel, i have discovered an amazing fact; milk, does not affect the taste of tea. i know, i know, what was i thinking? tea without milk? but i would not lie to you about such a thing. Also, if you put a lot of milk in with hot chocolate, you'll never go without it again. So it all kind of evens out in the end.

- Your Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman!

J

Jack of Spades

i am looking forward to the rest of this story peter... epic indeed...;)

P

Peter Parker

Thanks everyone for the interest, and i'm sorry for such a long delay in getting the rest of the story up, however, one of my mom's friend at work is having some problems with her laptop and has had a loan of my mother's (where i wrote the story) for a while now. Once i get it back, i shall upload another few chapters.

P

Peter Parker

Chapter 1 – The Hall of Heroes

“Thanks again, umm…”
“Amanda.”
“Amanda, for taking him in so early, I have business to attend to in Knothole Glade and I really have to go.”
“It’s quite alright Mrs. Greenwood, classes begin in another week, I’m sure we’ll find something to keep him busy.” She smiled and looked at the boy before her, his black hair a mess. If she could see his eyes she was sure he’d be on the verge of tears.
Mrs. Greenwood bent down and wiped the hair from her son’s face. “Don’t worry dear; I’ll be back in a few weeks to see you again.”
“I don’t want you to leave Mom!”
“Now Charlie, I told you, you’ll be perfectly safe here at the guild. Amanda will be looking after you until you get settled in and the rest of your class will be here next week. I’m sure you’ll make lots of friends here!” She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek.
“But Mom,” Charlie said, wiping the cheek where his mother kissed him, “this place scares me.”
Amanda laughed and knelt down in front of Charlie. “Charlie, would you like to see where our king defeated Jack of Blades?”
Charlie’s face lightened up and the fear disappeared. The stories of the battle between Ranger and Jack that he had heard so much of - from books, friends, bards and the many drunken mouths at his mother’s tavern – seemed so glorious, so majestic, magical, mysterious, and bloody amazing. He needed to see this room, or rather, this hall. The Hall of Heroes! He would finally set foot where Ranger saved Albion.
“YES!” He yelled, louder than his mother approved of. She was just about to protest when Charlie swung his arms around her in a swift hug, coupled with a quick “Bye, Mom” and ran off in the direction in which he thought the hall might be.
Amanda let out a chuckle and turned to the boy’s mother. “Mrs. Greenwood, We’ll take great care of Charlie, please feel free to drop in whenever you can.”
“I know, and I will be back in a few weeks to check up, but after that I’ll only be able to check in once, hopefully twice every couple of months. Business is slow as of late, and it’s hard to find anyone else to work. I already told Charlie, but, should he forget, his Hero Doll is in his pack.”
“Their popularity never seems to waver.”
“No. Well, I’m off, goodbye Amanda, and good luck with Charlie and the other kids.” Mrs. Greenwood said in a hurry, rushing through the door.
“It’ll be a pleasure!” Amanda yelled after her, turning to find Charlie.
She found him in the library, nose deep in a book about the Great Battle. He was looking in the middle of the book, no doubt at the illustrations of how the artists perceived Ranger’s tale. Looking over his shoulder she saw what he was studying so intently, his eyes were transfixed on a drawing of Jack’s mask.
“Is it here?” He whispered.
“Is what here Charlie, the mask of Jack?
“Yes, is it here?”
“It’s hung in the Hall of Heroes, come on I’ll bring you down there, the paintings there are even better than those in that book.” She took his hand and led him to a great wooden door, even bigger than the one placed at the entrance of the Guild.
She paused for a brief moment, letting go of the young boy’s hand, and pushed the giant slabs of wood forward, their hinges creaking as the weight shifted. A small bridge lay behind the door, on the other side was another, the same size, but with two great stained glass windows on either side, the left depicted Ranger, and on the right was Jack.
As they drew closer to the other side of the bridge, Charlie noticed the door was open slightly; a faint blue light was being emitted from it. Amanda seemed to notice it as well for she stepped in front of him, walking faster on the tips of her toes.
She burst through the door, and there surrounded by a blue mist, was a man clad entirely in black, huge plate shoulder pads with two large spikes on either side of his black hood, with a glowing red sword strapped on his shoulder.
Amanda stopped in her tracks as Charlie walked up slowly and stopped behind her, afraid of the man standing in the center of the room.
“Why are you here?” Amanda asked quite suddenly.
“For you, of course.”[FONT=&quot]

TheMenBehindTheMask1.jpg

I'll have another chapter up as soon as I can.
I'm also thinking of including a picture with each chapter. If this is too big i'll have it resized and up again in a bit. but yeah. enjoy.
[/FONT]

Dr KillJoy

Dark Paladin
Reaction score

I enjoyed reading the prologue cant wait to read the second part of the story

N

Nymph Lover <3

I find this a very interesting story! I am rocking in my seat waiting for what happens next!

H

hellish bard

arnet we all keep em comeing spidey

Zquad

The Widowmaker
Reaction score

This is clearly one of the best i've read this far. +rep mate

X

xxrevanxx

write another chapter..... BEFORE I KILL YOU!!!!11!

X

xxrevanxx

Just kidding, i can tell that it is gonna be GREAT!!