• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

[UK] GAME to shut down 85 stores

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
[UK] GAME to shut down 85 stores

Game will have less of a presence on the high-street next year, as the retailer plans to close 85 of its stores. Chairman Peter Lewis outlined the cuts this morning...

Peter Lewis said:
We remain the clear market leader in the UK, with 635 stores across two brands. We will continue to manage our store portfolio with strict retail disciplines. By Christmas 2013 we expect the UK store portfolio to have been reduced to about 550 stores as we reduce store over-lap and drive for greater cost efficiency.

We are focussed on having an efficient operating lease profile, To do this we are lowering our average lease length, now five years across the Group compared to 7 years two years ago, and through rent reviews and renegotiation we are seeking year on year operating lease savings.

GAME recently released a full online download service hinting a move towards more online download sales than store sales. Though its currently still being updated.

Game Downloader

Sean

Fallen
Premium
Reaction score
Re: [UK] GAME to shut down 85 stores

I knew someone who bought Halo: Reach from GAME and was extremely mad because he didn't get it before the release date, apparently they did something wrong or what not. But nice find, 85 stores is actually a huge chunk.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

so... just to clarify. are you UKers viewing this as a good thing or a bad thing?

droded

I Am Awesome
Premium
Reaction score

It is the equivalent of GameStop in America.

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score

being the only american post so far i'm guessing that was directed at me.

i know what GAME is, i was more wondering how the news is being recieved. happy, angry, indifferent? if gamestop shut down 85 locations you'd have the haters angry.
the majority of people, those to whom it's the only convenient game retailer, rather unhappy.

Reaction score

Well whatever GAME stores they are, it better had not be the one right near My house.

Shirosaki

The Hollow Within
Reaction score

I doubt anyone cares unless they work at one of the closing stores. We tend to buy online nowadays since Game is quite extortionate with their pricing.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

They have always been rather expensive for me and i hardly ever purchase games from there. However if its the only game shop in your town you would be quite annoyed if it was closed.

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve

cheezMcNASTY;434665 said:
being the only american post so far i'm guessing that was directed at me.

i know what GAME is, i was more wondering how the news is being recieved. happy, angry, indifferent? if gamestop shut down 85 locations you'd have the haters angry.
the majority of people, those to whom it's the only convenient game retailer, rather unhappy.
Indifferent. The inside of the shop is nice - what with all of the gaming swag and merchandise (I bought a nice little Sonic the Hedgehog teddy from GAME for Jessica, which was pretty cool). Although, I do the majority of my shopping online. The last game I recall physically purchasing from an actual shop was Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 - which happened to be from GAME.

Zjuggernaut

Just plain talented!
Reaction score

There's two stores near me so I highly doubt that they'd close both of them.

I love GAME. I like the deals they do, the loyalty points given and the staff are usually decent and know their stuff.

Shirosaki

The Hollow Within
Reaction score

There used to be 3 near me but one closed.