• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Veteran newb alert!

Romero

Premium
Reaction score
Hi, I'm one of those rare things that's not a spambot...

I don't believe many people here have heard about me before, I'm not that infamous. I think? :ninja:

I'm a guy from Norway that likes to play games, read, and to use Internet forums on my free time. My favorite games are the Grand Theft Auto series, Resident Evil 4 and Civilization III. I like most types of games (sports games being the biggest exception), but I don't have time to play more than a few. I would probably like Fable but I don't know much about it. So what brings me here? It is you guys, I do know a small number of people here that I have met on other forums in Steve's network.
I don't expect to be a regular here, but I would like to say hi. :) Have you got coffee or tea? I drink my coffee black and I use one sugar in the tea, no milk.

I tried to post a profile message but the spam filter don't approve of me yet! So I need to make some posts, and I figured I'd start with an introduction. About time after being member here for five and-a-half years. I'm almost a veteran and still a newb lol.

I see you've moved from projectego.net to fablehero.com.

Edit
Why do I not see my avatar here? I can see it on my profile.

Precipice

Reaction score
Hello hello! Unlike you, I'm a late arrival, but like you I'm here and I am not a spambot.

I'd encourage you to grab any copy of a Fable game and give it a try; despite my criticisms of the sequels they're all good games in their own right.

I do know a small number of people here that I have met on other forums in Steve's network.
I've met a couple who jumped here from the Devil May Cry site. Who here do you know? And from where do you hail, Romero? I've come to appreciate the pace and community here.

I'm fresh out of coffee and tea and also milk and sugar. But I don't mind offering my appreciation if you'll have that. It's nice to see others hanging around.

Why do I not see my avatar here? I can see it on my profile.
I've seen it happen to others. I'd recommend saving it and reuploading it. If the site changed domains I imagine it also probably went through other transitions in your time away, and maybe the avatar handling got wonky.

Even if you won't be a regular, please drop by and say hi from time to time!

Romero

Premium
Reaction score
Thank you Precipice for the warm welcome.

There seems to be seven games in the Fable series. Are all canon?
I'm sure I would like to be sucked into Albion, but I already have a shelf full of games that I never get time to play.

I do like RPG's, and I've been in Albion before. Not Albion in Fable though, it was Albion in Magic & Mayhem. It's an old real-time RPG/strategy game from the late '90s.
I've tried World of Warcraft for an hour on someone else's PC, but it was not enough to get me seriously interested. I'm not sure if I would get hooked if I had played it more.

I hail from residentevil.org. :)

Thanks for the tip on the avatar issue.

Precipice

Reaction score
There seems to be seven games in the Fable series. Are all canon?
That is an ongoing matter of much conjecture and spirited debate. Most can agree that no, not all of them are canon, and many feel that only the one they like most is canon. I think it's one of those Zelda situations, where there's no real timeline or continuity going on.

My interest in Fable is surprising; I usually only go full fan for action hack'n'slash or puzzle stuff. I think nostalgia plays a big role for some people. The hooks it got into me mostly have to do with interesting concepts that I'd like to see in other games. I like fun ideas.

Romero

Premium
Reaction score
Canon or not, but are they all the same type of game? In the Resi universe, there are some games with a very different gameplay, we call them rail shooters. The canon games are different too; the old ones have fixed cameras and the later ones a camera over the shoulder. But you have freedom to go back if you want, and can sometimes take different routes.

The un-canon rail shooters on the other hand, gives the player no freedom. Hence the label 'rail shooter'.

Do the Fable games differ that much in type of gameplay?

Precipice

Reaction score
A very good question. Fable, Fable: TLC, Fable 2, and Fable 3 are all pretty similar in what kind of game it is. A lot of mechanics change over the series, the engine, the graphics, all that gets some work done. We have a rail shooter too, called Journey, although Lionhead swears it isn't on rails. Me, I think, if it looks like a rail shooter and it quacks like a rail shooter, it's a damn rail shooter. Then there was Heroes, can't speak to that as I haven't so much as glanced at it. Legends is being worked on, and I've heard talk of it being anything from an mmo to a moba, but most agree it won't be an adventure/rpg type thing.

You ask some very interesting questions. I love it.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Good to see you here too, I saw you stopped by DMC.org and happy to see you here too. I have approved your post and avatar looks fine now.

Romero

Premium
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fable_(video_game_series) Not a lot of options for gamers without Xbox, the series is almost Xbox exclusive. For PC there are Fable, Fable III, and possibly Legends.

I see magic was an element in the first game only? Too bad, I like to hold a wand. If I were to try out one of the games, Fable 1 would maybe be the best place to start. Not necessarily because it's the start of the series, but because of magic. ^_^

Thank you Drakan, and the pleasure is mutual. We met briefly some years ago on DMC (and perhaps on Greyviper), but I doubt you remember me.

Precipice

Reaction score
If I were to try out one of the games, Fable 1 would maybe be the best place to start.
I was right, you and me are going to get along fine.

And you're right, sadly the series has been used to show off xbox and xbox accessories since Microsoft acquired the brand. As such, xbox is prioritized and in all but the two cases get exclusives. Of the two that I can play, I think the first is better. Although magic does have a role in the other games; according to the lore (which changes from game to game), it's just very watered down magic.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Thank you Drakan, and the pleasure is mutual. We met briefly some years ago on DMC (and perhaps on Greyviper), but I doubt you remember me.

I do remember you and our brief conversations and know you were more active on some of the the sites that I wasnt an active member on, seen you around Steves Resident Evil site the most and saw you stopped by DMC.org again recently. Though I am an active member of the DMC community these days. Shame it took me so long to rejoin the PC gaming crowd to have properly helped keep GreyViper alive. Though the community here has dwindled over the years we are all friends who enjoy discussing many genres and games.

Romero

Premium
Reaction score
Out of all forums in Steve's network, I believe the Fable community has the best sense of humor. By far!

I have noticed Greyviper is no more, what happened?

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Out of all forums in Steve's network, I believe the Fable community has the best sense of humor. By far!

I have noticed Greyviper is no more, what happened?

We have been around quite some time and had that humour evolve over the duration. Plus most of us have known each other for some time and gotten used to each others sense of humour etc too. :lol:

Lack of activity and interest from people I guess, so Steve decided to shut it down to save money. I didnt have a PC capable of gaming at the time so was hard for me to keep up to date with newest PC games and news etc so couldnt help as much as I would have liked at the time.

Romero

Premium
Reaction score
Several post lost here too....

Anyways. I had announced that I intend to set new records in Chopper, Bejeweled, Tetris and Snake. I don't know who is the current champion in those games. :troll:

I'm just waiting for my account to be upgraded. Any day now... :shifty:

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Pssh, I don't have any new records in any of the games. Try as hard as I may I can't get past anyone.

Oh, and welcome to the forums once again friend. =]

cheezMcNASTY

Edible in some countries
Premium
Reaction score
Funny you should ask.

I LOVE COFFEE.

It's one of my favorite things. After pizza. And blankets.

Romero

Premium
Reaction score
I'm a caffeine addict... I ought to drink more beer for my own health's sake. :p

I'm right now ordering Fable Anniversary on Steam, the price is reduced by 80% or something like that. I've bought a bunch of games recently so I don't when I'll try it.

I don't like what they did with Fable III, you have to pay extra to unlock content that is already on the disc. Of course any Steam version would not have a disc, if they choose to sell it.

Who here play games in the Elder Scrolls series? I get the impression that Elder Scrolls are more popular so that means it's better than the Fable series?

It's one of my favorite things. After pizza. And blankets.
Pizza and blankets, so that's how you do it...
I love pizza with beer.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
Who here play games in the Elder Scrolls series? I get the impression that Elder Scrolls are more popular so that means it's better than the Fable series?

I love pizza with beer.

No comparison really in my opinion, I have countless hundreds of hours in the elder scrolls franchise.

Marriage made in heaven, got to love pizza and beer.