• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are some of your Pet Peeves?

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
With the mention of selfies, people who also go the extra length and take selfies with a damn iPad or other such large touch device. Hell why not just go all the way and use your laptop as well.

This next one really gets me, when someone reaches for the condiments before actually trying the meal by itself first. My dad does this all the time with my mom's cooking because he's so damn used to processed foods, she'll slave over a nice big pot of spaghetti and what does he end up doing?... He immediately grabs the salt and ketchup and dumps it all over it. Hurts her every time, the one time he finally gave it a chance he was pleasantly surprised. Go figure.
Kids who think their generation discovered trance/house/rave etc. Hell no, darling. I was clubbing to that shizzle before you were a twinkle in your teenage mother's WKD-addled mind.
Don't forget twerking, so many kids these days thinking they invented it when it's been around since the 80s & 90s, and it was just as stupid back then too.
People who eat sandwiches and Pizza with a fork and knife.
Hah, I actually do this. A lot. Particularly when it's too hot to eat the traditional way. That and when I just wanna savor it and take my time with it... my fiance pokes fun at me as well for doing it, but I can't help it really.
The second peeve is when a person takes genuine offense over something that has no malice, no ill intent whatsoever. It's a disproportionate response; getting flustered over nothing makes zero sense to me. Save that flustering for when someone is legit trying to upset you, like when they double down and reaffirm a comment that bugs you.
To add: When someone apologizes way too much, even after you told them everything is cool for the fifth time. I mean what do I have to do, kiss you and suck your dick to make you believe me?

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
I got another one: the morons who decide to change cartoons and kids tv shows by "updating" them.

The hell happened to Scooby Doo??? And fireman Sam? Thundercats? Thomas the tank engine? Care bears? My little pony? Teenage mutant ninja turtles? Bob the freaking builder?!?

To say nothing of the crappy animations, where is the stuff that made it great? The script which was full of social faux pas and politically incorrect dialogue? The jokes only otherwise bored adults would get? The obvious-but-only-to-adults sexual tension between characters?

And why the hell is Johnny Bravo not on TV 24 hours a day???

TRA Rotid

Päris geenius
Reaction score
I got another one: the morons who decide to change cartoons and kids tv shows by "updating" them.

I think the answer to that is quite simple: money. Compared to other forms of TV entertainment (especially with the rise of live action series), cartoons get a lot smaller budget these days. This directly affects the animation and story quality.

Additionally, in terms of thin script, I can say that this is a more general problem in all kids' media. People for some reason assume it is alright to feed children empty, pointless plots and idiotic dialogue, because they "don't understand it anyway". This is completely backwards. My sister actually wrote her Bachelor thesis about it - kid's theatres specifically.

So perhaps before, great cartoons were made for the sake of the cartoon, whereas these days, the same cartoons are made to get kids up and ready for school in the morning.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Here's another one of mine: When you've finished performing a task and are a bit worn out from it all, and as SOON as you're about to sit down someone else asks you to do something for them. Why didn't you ask me when I was still up? "Oh I just remembered."

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The hell happened to Scooby Doo??? And fireman Sam? Thundercats? Thomas the tank engine? Care bears? My little pony? Teenage mutant ninja turtles? Bob the freaking builder?!?

To say nothing of the crappy animations, where is the stuff that made it great? The script which was full of social faux pas and politically incorrect dialogue? The jokes only otherwise bored adults would get? The obvious-but-only-to-adults sexual tension between characters?

And why the hell is Johnny Bravo not on TV 24 hours a day???
I feel bad for the kids growing up today with all the unoriginal cartoons with hamfisted jokes and a lack of proper comedic timing. I was quite surprised that Cartoon Network managed to screw something up as simple as Tom & Jerry with the new remake. As Rotid said; Money, Money, Money.

I was really sad when I found out the voice actress for Dexter (and Chuckie Finster) passed away awhile back. But, there's still a couple good ones out there right now like Regular Show & Adventure Time, I'm cool with those. When my nephew visits he always wanted to watch MLP (the new one, not the 80s), it wasn't until I got him into the other shows like Rocko's Modern Life, Rugrats, Dexter's Lab, Sonic SatAM, Johnny Bravo, and Ahhh! Real Monsters that he quickly changed his interests. (Thank you Netflix)
I think the answer to that is quite simple: money. Compared to other forms of TV entertainment (especially with the rise of live action series), cartoons get a lot smaller budget these days. This directly affects the animation and story quality.

Additionally, in terms of thin script, I can say that this is a more general problem in all kids' media. People for some reason assume it is alright to feed children empty, pointless plots and idiotic dialogue, because they "don't understand it anyway". This is completely backwards. My sister actually wrote her Bachelor thesis about it - kid's theatres specifically.

So perhaps before, great cartoons were made for the sake of the cartoon, whereas these days, the same cartoons are made to get kids up and ready for school in the morning.
It always befuddled me how many adults don't remember what it was like being a kid, kids aren't stupid. I've met kids growing up that are more clever with common sense than many of the adults I've bumped into.

On the issue of cheap animations, I guess they figure why bother with hand work when you can animate everything in Adobe Flash and call it a day. But cheap animations shouldn't stop a show from being good, the Hanna-Barbera classics are proof of that. And with crappy scripts it doesn't have to be complex greatness. The road runner cartoons are as basic as it gets and yet manage to still be enjoyable. There's a difference between keeping it simple vs. taking your audience as a sack of potatoes.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
There's a difference between keeping it simple vs. taking your audience as a sack of potatoes.

I can completely get behind this. I remember when I was turning 9, 10 kind of age and I began to grow bored of the kids TV I was watching. I thought that it was because I was just getting too old for it. Nope, it was entirely down to the fact that the shows that were on when I was 10 absolutely sucked in comparison to the ones that were on when I was 5. I watched a couple of episodes of the Rugrats when I found an old VHS of it about a year ago and those episodes are genuinely so good! There's one with Chuckie's mum that made me want to freaking cry.

It's stuff people put actual effort into. Nowadays I feel like producers just say, "What do kids like? Pirates, right? And fart jokes? Yeah, let's do something about farting pirates, I want 5 seasons"

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Nowadays I feel like producers just say, "What do kids like? Pirates, right? And fart jokes? Yeah, let's do something about farting pirates, I want 5 seasons"
In all honesty, my four year old son would literally worship whoever made that show happen. Farting is probably his favourite activity ever - farting on other people, even better.

If any of you have seen Larva on Netflix then you will have a very good idea of what amuses my kids. To be fair I like Larva too. But the crap churned out on channels specifically for children makes my face melt. At least with stuff like Spongebob and Harvey Beaks, it's funny for adults too. But more often than not it's vapid patronising crap. Or else " reimagined ", " rebooted" or "modernised" which roughly translates as a word I won't write here but it rhymes with kite.

Gikoku

Smells like poo.
Town Guard
Reaction score
Farting is probably his favourite activity ever - farting on other people, even better.
My kinda guy. I don't see what the big issue is about 'em, great for warmth, laughter, breaking silence, getting you out of awkward situations and sometimes they even smell nice. Gotta love a good rip.
I can completely get behind this. I remember when I was turning 9, 10 kind of age and I began to grow bored of the kids TV I was watching. I thought that it was because I was just getting too old for it. Nope, it was entirely down to the fact that the shows that were on when I was 10 absolutely sucked in comparison to the ones that were on when I was 5. I watched a couple of episodes of the Rugrats when I found an old VHS of it about a year ago and those episodes are genuinely so good! There's one with Chuckie's mum that made me want to freaking cry.

It's stuff people put actual effort into. Nowadays I feel like producers just say, "What do kids like? Pirates, right? And fart jokes? Yeah, let's do something about farting pirates, I want 5 seasons"
Oh man, I remember that Chuckie episode. It was for Mother's Day I think it was and it managed to break my heart a little, I'm over here watching and choking/tearing up to a Nickelodeon cartoon show. And they say cartoons are just for kids, well to that I say feck off. My mom and dad are in their 60s and they still love and watch cartoons when the mood arises. Adults made and wrote these things too y'know, and if I learned anything it's that quality and moving material can be found in the least expected of places.

Precipice

Reaction score
My kinda guy. I don't see what the big issue is about 'em, great for warmth, laughter, breaking silence, getting you out of awkward situations and sometimes they even smell nice. Gotta love a good rip.
Stay away from me.

Oh man, I remember that Chuckie episode. It was for Mother's Day I think it was and it managed to break my heart a little, I'm over here watching and choking/tearing up to a Nickelodeon cartoon show. And they say cartoons are just for kids, well to that I say feck off. My mom and dad are in their 60s and they still love and watch cartoons when the mood arises. Adults made and wrote these things too y'know, and if I learned anything it's that quality and moving material can be found in the least expected of places.
Yesterday I watched Teen Titans Go with a toddler. About five minutes in I turn to him thinking to myself, why do you watch this garbage*?

I choked up a bit watching a kid's show last year. Some very dramatic episode of a robot Sherlock cartoon, with excellent line delivery. I can't remember much except someone saying to the villain something like he should have been thinking of his daughter, and with Michael Bay style directing we get a close up of the villain's face, the artwork became a profound illustration of a man torn, and the villain convincingly says that he was thinking of his daughter, that all the sick and vile stuff he'd been up to was for her. Then he died. The story was decent enough, the premise of a futuristic past-future Sherlock robot anachronism was hard to compute, but it was appreciable and I enjoyed it.

I know that people can make primo shows, even kids' cartoons, I just don't know why they choose not to. I think Hobbebrain may be on to something with fart pirates. A running joke could be a grizzly three-foot ginger-bearded one-eyed peg-legged pirate captain finishing each sentence with faaaarrrrrrt.

*Not the word that crossed my mind.

HobbeBrain

It's getting better, man!
Reaction score
In all honesty, my four year old son would literally worship whoever made that show happen. Farting is probably his favourite activity ever - farting on other people, even better.

I think Hobbebrain may be on to something with fart pirates. A running joke could be a grizzly three-foot ginger-bearded one-eyed peg-legged pirate captain finishing each sentence with faaaarrrrrrt.

In attempting to lampoon the shoddiness of kids TV I have created a monster. Please God don't let this catch on.

Oh man, I remember that Chuckie episode. It was for Mother's Day I think it was and it managed to break my heart a little, I'm over here watching and choking/tearing up to a Nickelodeon cartoon show.

I remember that they got a hell of a lot of emotional mileage out of the Chuckie situation. Looking back I think that the movie where they go to Paris somehow uses it? I remember when I watched it aged maybe 5 or 6, and even at that age, there was a bit right at the beginning which made me feel awful. The Rugrats (and parents) were all at some sort of event, and the announcer said "Now it's time for the mother and child dance!" or something like that. So all the Rugrats are dancing (well, being carried by, but whatever) their mums on the dancefloor and Chuckie just stands there watching with no one. Broke my ****ing heart.

EDIT: I just went on YouTube and found the clip!

Dear Christ, who the hell let this be a kids show? This honestly has to be one of the all time saddest things I have ever seen. Angelica, you cold bitch.

Last edited:

Quistrix

yer maw
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score
One of my biggest ones has probably got to be that god awful smacking noise people make when they eat. Just chew with your mouth closed, you filthy animal.

When you ask someone to close your door and they close it over only just enough so that the door is still open by just a touch, like you wouldn't notice. Even worse when it's a windy day and your door keeps opening and closing all EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGBASH. I mean really...

People who brush their teeth while leaving the tap running. Why? Why do this? STOP WASTING WATER GADDAMNIT

I'll come back when I think of anything else. AND I WILL

Firis

Amateur Human
Premium Legend
Premium
Reaction score
When franchises change their own canon, or build upon previous stories just because they can; without thinking if they should.

When I get a phone call or a text while I'm listening to music/a podcast: You should know that I was listening to a podcast at that exact moment and that you ruined the flow.

Romero

Premium
Reaction score
Another thread where we all get to know just a little bit more about each other. =]

One of my bigger issues in day-to-day living is when I talk to people and I seem to be doing rather well paying attention, but then my mind wanders for like 1-2 seconds and just like that... I completely forget everything that person had said and I then have to ask them to repeat it. They usually respond with enormous sighs, head shakes, frustration, or flat out giving up on the conversation altogether. Tempting to blame my ADHD, I wish I was better at paying attention because the aftermath really annoys me.

Some other annoyances that I can't avoid bumping into:

1. People who blast their obnoxious music from their cars and garages thinking everyone has a burning desire to hear it. It doesn't make you a badass or the cool guy on the block, it only makes you look like a knob-end with an ass-filled taste in music.

4. When someone tells you to do something and you were already going to do it, so then you end up looking foolish or inconsiderate because of it.
5. When you let somebody borrow something, but when you want it back they have every excuse in the book for why they can't. That and they eventually magically disappear from existence.
I agree on that. I don't have ADHD, but I easily get distracted sometimes.

1. Loud eating sounds.
2. People calling me on the phone while they are eating or drinking.
3. Chewing gum and fags on the ground.
4. Careless people making a mess and not keeping it clean and tidy.
5. When people thinks they understand more than they do. It's bad when it's random people, and worse when it's government officials or other individuals with power.

6. People parking close to my car when there is plenty of space. I don't like to worry about possible dents from doors.
7. Selfies. Do I need to explain?!
8. People talking loud in their cell phones in public. NO, I do NOT want to be part of your conversation and I don't care about your uncle's issues.
9. Animated ads and animated siggies/avatars on forums. Sorry, but your pretty piece of art makes it hard for me to concentrate on reading. (I have a way around this though.)
10. Salt to avoid ice on the road. I can handle ice – even black ice – but my heart can't handle a car getting attacked by rust.

11. Taxes, taxes, taxes x1000. As if salty roads weren't enough, now we've got toll roads. We have to pay toll to have the salty road damage our cars. There are no alternative (toll free) routes.
12. Taxes again. Sometimes it pays better to not work. If we could have less benefits and less taxes...
13. Pedestrians pushing the button to get a green light. But they don't wait for the green light, they cross the street immediately on red light. When the pedestrian do get a green light, they have already crossed the street and are long gone. And cars have to stop and wait while nobody is crossing the street. If you plan on walking a red light, don't push that button, butthole.