• Welcome to the Fable Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Fable series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What do you like in an RPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vegeta

What do you like in an RPG?

What do you like in an RPG? i like that you get to choose your ways it's kind of like real life... except for the fact you can shoot lightning out of your hands.... lol

I like the graphics or most rpgs ex... Final fantasy and fable

Fable TLC is full of secrets that just make you fell strange.. well make me feel strange i guess i just like the feeling of mystery...

I also like Roaming features in RPGS so you don't have to follow the game the hole time...

Lastly, Customization i have yet to see a good rpg with a GOOD customization feature... yes fable has hair and tattoos but, i want to see hair color weapon style eye color skin tone heith ect...

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve
Re: What do you like in an RPG?

I love RPG's that have plenty of depth; the kind of depth where it's up to me to decide what I what to do next. Wether it be following the main story or go off and explore and uncover new mysteries or whatever else comes to mind. I want to have the decision to do as I please.

Final Fantasy VII was the first game that truly made me feel this way (although after playing it recently for the quadrillionth time, I couldn't quite understand what impressed me so much... I was about 11 or so when I first played it though...)

The only other time I have felt that kind of immersion with an RPG was with Fable, and while it wasn't as deep as one might have hoped - it still gave me a great satisfaction to go off and check out the world of Albion at my own leisure.

Depth, good stuff.

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

Oblivion was one of the RPG's that overwelmed me with what i wanted to do, and choices i could make. It didnt have any effect on the storyline but it was damn good to choose EXACTLEY what i wanted to do. Plus it is such a HUGE game its crazy!

KaveX

Witcher
Premium
Reaction score

projectego;32045 said:
I love RPG's that have plenty of depth; the kind of depth where it's up to me to decide what I what to do next. Wether it be following the main story or go off and explore and uncover new mysteries or whatever else comes to mind. I want to have the decision to do as I please.

Final Fantasy VII was the first game that truly made me feel this way (although after playing it recently for the quadrillionth time, I couldn't quite understand what impressed me so much... I was about 11 or so when I first played it though...)

The only other time I have felt that kind of immersion with an RPG was with Fable, and while it wasn't as deep as one might have hoped - it still gave me a great satisfaction to go off and check out the world of Albion at my own leisure.

Depth, good stuff.
same here...also mmorpg's are good for that to =D

Steve

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score
Name
Steve

It's a shame that pretty much all the decent MMORPG's charge to use their service... that and they consume your life (World of Warcraft for instance).

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

projectego;32068 said:
It's a shame that pretty much all the decent MMORPG's charge to use their service... that and they consume your life (World of Warcraft for instance).

Yeah money grabbing swine :lol:

But guild wars does not :D

KaveX

Witcher
Premium
Reaction score

Dark Drakan;32070 said:
Yeah money grabbing swine :lol:

But guild wars does not :D
i heard guild wars was gay...but i wanna try ^_^

projectego;32068 said:
yeah...WoW has lots of people who arent nerds but are on almost 24/7 to get the highest pvp rank or to get tier 2 armor

Dark Drakan

Guildmaster
Town Guard
Premium
Reaction score

kave1793;32073 said:
i heard guild wars was gay...but i wanna try ^_^

yeah...WoW has lots of people who arent nerds but are on almost 24/7 to get the highest pvp rank or to get tier 2 armor

Guild Wars is quality more about skill than levels like WoW plus you dont have to play it all the time to be good at it.

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

wow random. I like a few choice MMORP.

But what do I like in an RPG.
Good fighting system.
Story line and characters

F

Fable_Fan005

To me a RPG is all abot the story. I mean what goos is a fun game if there is no why to wonder what goign to happen next in the story. Alot of games keep me up all night the first time i play because i always wont to know what next is the story not because the system is good.

Tsuyu

is wearing Queen's lace panties.
Town Guard
Reaction score

The thing that a RPG requires in my opinion is character creation. I dont like the Final Fantasy games because I am forced to play "someone", not "my alter-ego". Those games tend to play out in a pre-determined way and I just feel too restricted in what choices I make.

This brings out my second point: Randomness and replay value. Look at the old Diablo II game - each game randomly created a new world for you to go explore. I hate RPGs that only let you visit a location once, and not giving you the ability just go out in the world and level freely.

Good ol' Dungeons and Dragons character creation... once it came it was, and remains, the ultimate form of RPG.

L

Liberator

Yeah...I generally like RPGs that allow you to create your character better than those that force you to be a pre-determined individual too. Fable's probably the only exception to this rule, as you can modify your hero enough to make him unique.

As far as what else I look for in RPGs, a high level of action and excitement. I like real-time battles much more than turn-based confrontations. I guess that's probably the main reason I've never got really into the Final Fantasy series, or similar games.

Additionally, storyline has a major part to do with the types of RPGs I enjoy. If the game has a great storyline, I'll play it for hours on end. If a storyline is poor, or outright non-existent, I'll probably drop the game quicker than you can say, "Oakvale."

Sephiroxas

Local Succubus
Premium
Reaction score

Not all RPGS are that bleak. They may take you to the same places but Take say Chrono Trigger. If you have differen't people in your party differen't cutscenes happen.

Angel

Down with this sort of thing
Guildmaster
Town Guard
Reaction score

For me, a good RPG has to have the freedom of choice. I want to be able to do anything I please and have consequences to go with that. It's what attracted me most to Fable: The Lost Chapters - the fact that if you did something bad, you got done for it. If you did something good, you got a bunch of butterflies around your head and people admiring you.

Good graphics are essential and an intriguing - but not overly-confusing - storyline. I really don't like anything that is restricted by having only a few minutes to do something or you have to start again. I'd prefer there to be consequences to being late, or getting it wrong.

Finally, I like to be able to wander wherever I please and be able to pick up whatever I want. I mean, if a Hero can carry two legendary weapons, four more melee weapons, two crossbows, three bows, 84 potions, over 130 items of produce, sixty diamonds and a rose, surely he can pick up someone's bed blanket so he doesn't have to pay for sleep at the tavern or nick someone else's bed? I hate having to go somewhere else to sleep when what I want is to be able to crash wherever I am - be it on a beach or in the Chapel of Skorm.

Status
Not open for further replies.